Did you own an 8-bit or 16-bit home computer?

Damien Lee

Playing
Super Famicom
These days gamers may seem to have a lot of choices when choosing a platform to play on. After all, one has 3 competing consoles, the PC and a myriad of mobile devices to choose from. However, if we go back to the 8-bit era the diverse range of home computers capable of playing games were huge. The European market enjoyed a wave of microcomputers that helped to establish the games industry over there.

Home computers such as the ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, BBC Micro, Amstrad CPC & MSX helped usher forth a new age of 8-bit gaming. But it didn't end there, it wasn't long before the Commodore Amiga & Atari ST were launched in these same markets to bring forth a richer 16-bit gaming experience.

Did you own any of the above home computers? Or did you simply play games on the NES and/or PC?

I know we had a computer when I was young, but I couldn't tell you what brand it was. My older brother and my mom were more focused on the PC, while I played on the Nintendo. I know we had a few computer games that they would load up for me, but it wasn't until I was in my teens and easier, better computers with Windows were introduced that I really started playing (shout out to the original Sim City!)

It's true that Windows helped to make PC computing more accessible since it was easier to use than MS-DOS. In DOS one had to run or install programs through the command prompt which almost felt like computer programming for many folks. Yes, Sim City was a truly great game and revolutionary for it's time. Remember spending hours and hours on this game just trying to build the perfect city. :)

Latest threads

Back