Do you enjoy Wii Sports?

lexinonomous

Playing
Super NES
With the idea of movement being incorporated into gaming, the Wii introduced a controller that we had not seen before. The controller allowed us to be more involved with the games we were playing and caused us to get a bit of exercise as we played. Wii Sports had to be one of the most popular games released with the wii, featuring tons of different sport themes for users to simulate in their living rooms.

Most of the time, wii sports was paired with the purchase of the console and added on for free. It allowed users to explore wii sports and get to know the functions of the controller.

Do you enjoy the wii sports games?
What did you like about it?
If you disliked it, what was it that made you turn away from it?

Are the games simplistic at times? Sure Wii Baseball, for example, is little more than a batting cage where you try to hit balls out of the park. But in Wii Tennis, your player moves around the court automatically, but you control the ball's direction, spin, and speed as you hit forehands, backhands, overheads, and lobs. The only game that might concern parents is Wii Boxing, where two boxers square off with the goal of knocking each other out.
Because of its simplicity and easy to learn controls, Wii Sports is the kind of game that everyone even non gamers can participate in together, and that's what makes it so compelling. It fosters cross-generational interaction, making it great to bring out at family gatherings and parties. And the fun multiplayer mode means endless re-playability. This game ushers in a new way of playing video games, one that motivates players to move, stretch, bend, swing their arms, and be active.

Nope. I understood the purpose but I did not enjoy it so I got rid of it almost as soon as I got a Wii. I also hate Miis and every game in the Wii series. Sports/Resort/music etc. I am also bitter I waited nearly 2 decades for a new Pilot Wings and it was another Wii kind of game. They also ruined Project Hammer turning it into a Wii series game and then cancelled it. So everything about that whole Wii series of games I have true disgust for them. It would be like if someone put a Linkin Park song on my Black Sabbath CD. I aint having none of that shit son.

Oh and we had motion controllers before Wii. U force. SEGA Activator. Power Glove and Pelican add on for N64 controller. Tho the first real console to have a casual focus of sports was in 2004. Nintendo ripped off Xavix.

Sega was also doing with a motion controller with Bass Fishing and the Rod which actually can be used to play Soul Calibur.

One last thing...Nintendo also stole some designs from Dreamcast lol
7yOCPm0.jpg

Wii was successful as Nintendo proved once again they can take ideas been done before but add their touch to make it work better.

Last edited:
I was never a huge fan though I did find Wii bowling amusing. I would just drop the ball and it would slowly roll down and I'd eventually get a strike, haha.

I did do something goofy in college, though. We had to make presentations advertising a fake resort. I did a presentation on Wii Sports Resort, treating it as if it was a real place.

When I first got my Wii back in 2006 with that and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, I actually was more interested in playing that for a while, lol.

When the Wii first came out I think that Wii sports is the game that a lot of people would have played first as with the new control system it was the game that worked the best with it, and it was something different. Personally after a few plays it did get a bit tedious though, and while you could have a laugh if you was playing with friends, I wouldn't say that the Wii sports game was a game you could enjoy as a single player.

Here's what i enjoyed about it: At 7 years old i always tried to get my mom to play video games with me. To most adults, this was quite a joke in the 80's. Fast forward 20 years(2007), we move in with her between homes and guess what happens: Every night five people are taking turns bowling in the living room till midnight. It was a blast. I think she even made cheesesticks one night.

I think the rest of the games were kinda just filler. I liked the tennis a little bit and overall I find it was a must have for the wii. I absolutely loved Sports Resort for the Golf and flying games.

what turned me away? my wife got me the wii, wii sports and Twilight Princess at the same time. So Zelda!

The Wii sports games was aimed at a younger gamer I feel and like I said I think it was enjoyable in the beginning, that was just because of the novelty value and after the first few plays it did kind of get old quickly. In my opinion and talking to a few others they think this as well, and the Wii is seen as a console that was aimed at the younger players and while that isn't a bad thing, it did limit the appeal I think and even though the console itself sold well, it was never going to have any sort of longevity and in a lot of households it was just sat in the corner collecting dust after a few months as people slowly returned to playing with their Xbox's and Playstation's instead.

@pwarbi yeah, thats true. I had two major problems with the wii: ramming motion controls down my throat and then realizing the "other" versions of games like wwe 13 and Ghostbusters. It upset me to have to play football on my ps2. I still just don't have the means to have all the consoles so I'm all in Nintendo always, but man Utlimate Alliance 2 sucked shaking the wii mote

Yes, I certainly do. There are times when the games get a little frustrating, but that is the case with most games so I would say that I am used to it at this point, and I am able to see the unique quality of it and take that as a big advantage. Any little issue with the movement or controllers I think are just par for the course, and I can look past them. I got pretty good at the archery game back when it first came out.

I love wii sports, I will play tennis all day on the wii. It's really fun and active, especially when you play with kids. I like to play bowling, and even basketball 3 point shoot out. Some of the games like football I really didn't like because it seems to be to complex for the wii, and the game play isn't as intuitive as I want it to be.

@pwarbi yeah, thats true. I had two major problems with the wii: ramming motion controls down my throat and then realizing the "other" versions of games like wwe 13 and Ghostbusters. It upset me to have to play football on my ps2. I still just don't have the means to have all the consoles so I'm all in Nintendo always, but man Utlimate Alliance 2 sucked shaking the wii mote

When the Wii came out, Nintendo did concentrate on the new control system maybe more than they should have done. In a way you can understand why, as it was revolutionary and no other console had the same control method like it, but still...I do think that Nintendo might have gone a bit overboard with the hype.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back