Nes vs Super NES

LegendofImelda

Playing
NES
What crossover games, that made it from NES to SNES, do you think improved with the change in console? I liked Castlevania when it crossed over to Super Nintendo, but I preferred the Mario games on Nintendo over Super Mario World.

I have to agree with you on Castlevania. Super Castlevania IV was a huge jump in gameplay, graphics and of course music over it's predecessors on the NES. This game just oozes class and I always go out of my way to recommend it to anyone just getting into retro gaming. Contra III: The Alien Wars is another gem by Konami on the SNES that completely trounced all previous Contras on the NES. Although I do have a soft spot for Super C.

I think in general all games that had sequels that made it's way to the SNES were fantastic. The graphics were an obvious upgrade. But as the years past, the depth of game play and diversity changed as well. Most games got intuitive and took a lot of brain power to overcome and beat.

I think it's a matter of taste really. I much prefer Super Mario World, and can't really get into the older Mario's, but that may be because it was my first Mario.
There was an obvious improvement in the graphics department though, going up from 8-bit to 16-bit and all that.
+ the better hardware capabilities of the SNES allowed for longer, story rich games with much deeper gameplay than the NES titles. (For example the Final Fantasy games got much better on the SNES)

Latest threads

Back