Super Mario 3D World

AvalonX

What does everyone thing of the announcement? To be honest, I was a little let down. I expected to be blown away by the Wii U graphics. Don't get me wrong, it looks good it just I was expecting more. As with any Mario game, it's all in the gameplay so I will get this but I was just hoping for something as progressive as Mario 64 was.

Trailer for those who missed it:

I am a little let down as well :p Although I got over it and I am excited for it again! 3D land was nothing short of amazing, so it would make sense that this game will play amazing. I am still dissapointed by the graphics. Although we haven't seen much of the game so we can't say to much about it.

Nintendo has been a little behind the other systems in graphics recently. In my opinion, that's not the point of the Nintendo though. You can play the Nintendo games and just have some good old fashioned fun. The exclusives are good, and many of the games are family oriented. Nintendo has a different slice of the market then Microsoft or Sony, but they are great at what they do.

@Thomas Ennis, I have always cared a lot about graphics, but I have never cared about how "realistic" or how many particle effects and crap no one even notices. I have always looked to see if the graphics style matches the play style in a complementary way. Mario games have always done this beautifully, so has just about every nintendo game. Sure, they don't have all the hi res shadows and 4X anti aliasing, but who even cares? As long as the style matches the game in a way that it adds to it, then I don't care. Mario, for example, is a fun lighthearted game. It has cartoon graphics that are bright in colors, which adds to the lighthearted fun. Majoras Mask was a creepy dark Zelda game. Its style was dark in color, and was a bit more gritty than past Zeldas, which added to the game's creepy feel. Wind Waker was a more lighthearted adventure, and it had bright, solid, cel shaded colors that really brought out the feeling of fun and exploration. To me, games don't have to have a particular style to be good, the style just has to fit the game. Majoras mask cell shaded would be terrible, just as Wind Waker with dark gritty graphics would ruin the game as well. This game looks like it has graphics to fit its gameplay, which is perfect to me.

(PS. I'm not arguing with your point, im agreeing with it)

You make an interesting point here. Realism is not as important as how well the graphics "fit" into the game. Nintendo has never been interested in making life-like games, but they have always produced very bright and colorful worlds. I can get lost just as easily in a nicely done Zelda game as I can in Gears of War. Very astute observation banjo.

AvalonX said:
What does everyone thing of the announcement? To be honest, I was a little let down. I expected to be blown away by the Wii U graphics. Don't get me wrong, it looks good it just I was expecting more. As with any Mario game, it's all in the gameplay so I will get this but I was just hoping for something as progressive as Mario 64 was.
It looks very same same, if you get what I mean. Many levels that are aesthetically different but conceptually the same in terms of game-play and direction (literally!)

I think this is clearly a progression based on the success of the Mario Bros. DS and 3DS games which are great fun on the handheld systems. It looks like fun for multi-players as well but, whether this is worthy of a home console release, I am not entirely convinced TBH.

What I'm sure we're all waiting for is the Next incarnation of Mario 64, whether it comes in the form of a new SM Sunshine or A SM Galaxy, I don't know, but I'm sure that will be the big daddy for Mario games when it drops.

Yes! Finally a new 3D Mario game coming for Wii U! I can't wait to check out its neat HD visuals and gamepad capabilities! This is a good preview! I hope other people are as excited as I am for this!

Yz6V6P2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EUKWKDDDFdc

Super Mario 3D World

Release Date: November 22, 2013

Developer / Publisher: Nintendo EAD Tokyo, Nintendo

Platforms: Wii U Exclusive

-----
This newest trailer makes this new Mario game look a lot better than the previous trailers did. I was looking forward to picking this game up, as I had to chance to try it out at the San Diego Comic Con earlier this year. However, this new trailer has made me even more excited for this title. I'll definitely be picking up this game on launch day. No doubt about that.

I'll get a list of the confirmed power-ups for this game up later. The video's show a few of the game's power-ups. But I'm sure that there are more that we have yet to see. So I'll keep an eye out for those, and post a full list later.

Anyways, who else is excited for this game. Whether you always were, or if this new video gives you more faith in this game. I know that I'll be picking it up, for sure. Anybody else?

Wow, there's a lot going on in this game. I was trying to figure out which Mario game this is the sequel to and then realized it's probably Super Mario 3D Land (which I haven't played). I really wish they remade Mario 64 with these graphics.

This game looks like a cross between Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 64, and the New Super Mario Bros. games, to be honest. I loved Super Mario 3D Land, to be honest. I thought it was a really good game. So I was excited for this new console Mario game. However, this new trailer has me even more excited, as it looks even more packed full of content that they have shown off previously.

And that fact has caused a lot of good word going around about this game. Lots of people who have pretty much written this game off, saw this new trailer, and are now on board. So there is a lot of excitement about this game too. I think it looks great, and lots of fun. This is another title where I will be there on day one, for sure.

i actually passed by gamestop to add some money on my reserve for this. I cannot wait!

2hitCombo said:
i actually passed by gamestop to add some money on my reserve for this. I cannot wait!
Nice. Yeah, I'm definitely picking this game up on launch day. In fact, it's a good thing that I've been putting money away all year, as there are lots of games for the Wii U that I want to pick up between now and the end of the year.

--
Oh, and here's the game's cover. Just realized that I forgot to add it earlier. Enjoy.

uaslVP0.jpg

Also, while I'm at it, here's the big promotional picture that people have been oogling over, trying to find any and all hidden details and secrets..

jHly19r.jpg

or, this hand-drawn version, that I happened to stumble upon online.
zs3AOkF.jpg

It's funny how every single video that Nintendo bring out gets people more and more excited about this! Even reading through this topic, you can see how underwhelmed people were when it was revealed at E3, yet now it's going to be one of the best games this year across all platforms.

(Spoiler warning ahead - the two links I've posted contain potential spoilers, the first containing videos of new stages and the second containing a very large spoiler! You've been warned!)

IGN have posted a mini-review of sorts here: http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/11/13/super-mario-3d-worlds-bottomless-bag-of-tricks (note that it showcases a couple of levels that I hadn't seen before, so if you're dead-set on avoiding spoilers, I'd probably avoid that). What's also interesting is that somebody from IGN posted the full review to youtube, only for it to be removed (there's an embargo on it until the 19th November if I remember correctly). What's interesting is that there have been screenshots floating around the internet with the final verdict - it scored 9.6!

See it here: http://i.imgur.com/QnFWD7s.png (MORE SPOILERS INSIDE! If you haven't watched the latest Nintendo Direct, and don't want spoilers, DON'T OPEN THAT IMAGE!)

I loved Super Mario 3D Land, for the 3DS. So when they first announced 3D World for the Wii U, I was on board from the get go. Yeah, I heard a lot of negative comments at the time, but I didn't lose faith in the game. I knew how great the 3DS title was, and saw the potential for the full Wii U version. Then, more and more and more info came out for 3D World, and the more they showed, the more and more people finally started to turn around and open up to the game. And to be honest, for me, even tho I was already expecting a good game to come from this, even I was pleasantly surprised with how well they showcased this game. It's looks even better than my expectations for it, and I was expecting it to be good. I'm positive that it's going to be a great game. I have my pre-order already set, and can't wait to fully dive into when I pick it up.

People are disappointed by the graphics? I actually love the look of the game. For me, it's not about the number of polygons or resolution, it's mainly about the style, and this game is beautiful while still remaining true to the classic Mario style. I wasn't expecting a graphical powerhouse of a game because 1) Mario has never really been about that 2) The Wii U is not as powerful as the PS4 and Xbone, which is okay, because it's all about the games anyway. This game looks like it'll be extremely fun and is also very pretty to look at. This is something the Wii U definitely needed for the Holiday season, and it will make a lot of Wii U owners happy.

I share your sentiments exactly, when it comes to games. Especially games on Nintendo systems. I think it's great how it is. And I'm definitely going to be having a blast playing it.

Also, yeah, it's sad that people were upset that it didn't have all 'uber' graphics at first. However, it seems that the gameplay trailers have finally started to win them over. And, it's already getting high review scores. And, I've already been reading talk of it going to be nominated for Game of the Year. So the game is going to be awesome, and I can't wait to get it. I have my preorder all set and ready to go.

Latest threads

Back