Which Nintendo console should I get?

3DS vs Wii U, why not make a poll too though i would appreciate comments more

• 3DS

• Wii U

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lippa100

Hi everyone!
Im new to these forums and Nintendo consoles so I ended up reaching for help here since after alot of searching I couldnt really find any decent comparison between different nintendo consoles..

So, Ive never owned any kind of nintendo console, ive never played pokemon, zelda, mario etc. games but I really really want to.
Im pretty much trying to decide between 3DS and the Wii U, im not really interested in the older consoles and Switch is out of the question because it will be so expensive though it seems cool.

Heres some personal pros i have gathered:
Wii U - Tv screen, couch co-op, graphicly higher quality games (not a big deal), has more/better 3rd party titles (?)
3DS - Price, portability (would be my first handheld console which is a big +)

For the overall games/ exclusives i would really like to play:
Wii U - Zelda breath of the wild, Nintendo land and/or any ¨co-oppable¨/party mario game for some casual couch co-op
3DS - Any ¨newish¨ pokemon game, kingdom hearts games, monster hunter games, Zelda ocarina of time
Both - Mario maker, Smash, other Zelda games

So if anybody more experienced has ideas, thoughts, opinions, pros/cons, games to add anything would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

You have a long time until the spring to save money for the Switch.

Get a New 3DS. It's cheaper than the Wii U, portable, and last I checked, most people can't even say it has a worse game selection than Wii U.

The graphics are sometimes/usually worse than the Wii U, but the creativity and quality of most games is still the same. Just look at the niche RPGs on the system if you don't believe me.

Shane is right. As much as I love the Wii U (even more than the 3DS) it's just flat out a better investment at this point. Most of the big Wii U games you can either get on 3DS (albeit either an inferior port or just a very similar game).
For example:
Super Mario 3D Land/Super Mario 3D World
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Mario Kart 7/Mario Kart 8
Xenoblade Chronicles (New 3DS only)/Xenoblade Chronicles X
New Super Mario Bros. 2/New Super Mario Bros. U
Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D/Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD

Plus games like Super Mario Maker, Yoshi's Woolly World and Hyrule Warriors flat out have 3DS ports (Hyrule Warriors apparently has performance problems so keep that in mind). Plus it has a slew of its own games that aren't on Wii U like its own Zelda game, the Pokemon games, and many JRPG's just to name a few. The Wii U has Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 which are really popular, sure, but it has far less exclusives than the 3DS does. The only other thingw I think the Wii U does objectively better is that it has a better Virtual Console since it has GBA, Wii and DS games plus you can go into Wii mode and have access to that VC as well. Plus, it has Wii backwards compatibility.

@Lippa100 well, this is a tough question. Starting from scratch, it's hard to say. After reading the post a few times, i notice Zelda comes up more than once. For the wii u, Wind Waker HD is my favorite game all time. Twilight Princess HD is in my Zelda top 3. But these are remakes. I don't know how "new" you would like to be with these games.

For the wii u, the typical reliable games are of course fantastic fun: Mario Kart, all the Mario's 2D and 3D, Wind Waker etc. But if i had to pick right now, i have spent more time on my 3Ds than any console i've ever had. as @Shane said, check out the obscure titles. Fantasy Life, Bravely Default and such.

3Ds by a slight margin for me.

Don't do it! Its only about three months away! Just wait for the switch to come out. Seems like the most logical thing to do.

^ But the Switch may not have a substantial game library for a while so maybe it would be best for someone in their situation to get a 3DS now so they can have plenty of game variety then get a Switch in a few years when it's put what it has to offer on the table.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Like GunGunW said older consoles have way more games right off the bat, Switch doesnt seem to even have proper backwards compability and its propably goin to be quite a bit pricier than 3DS at least.
Right now im heavily leaning towards the 3DS, it just seems that it has more to offer its just a shame I cant get to play Breath of the wild then but the portability of 3DS is just such a bigger plus.

there are also many more Zelda's on the 3ds than the wii u, unless you get them on the virtual console.

wait for the nintedo Switch if you are not in a hurry

Last edited:

Latest threads

Back