Windwaker Hero Mode detailed

OniBlackMage

From
Atlanta
So, its a lot like Skyward Sword's Hero mode in which there are no Hearts in the world at all, and you can only recover via Heart Containers, Potions, and Fairies. In addition, enemies deal double damage. Wow, this will will make the Savage Labyrinth a lot more challenging for sure. I suppose that is why they also made the change where only 5 out of the 8 Triforce charts will be needed, and you can now move while aiming weapons.

I would have also preferred the Master Quest touch and have had a dungeon redesign, but I'm up for hard mode. What do you guys think?

Source

This could make for a fun, and interesting (albeit harder) challenge. I'm game for it. However, I haven't played Wind Waker in a long time. So I think I'll end up playing the game in regular mode first, to re-familiarize myself with the game. Then, on my second playthrough, I'd definitely give Hero Mode a try. I have to wait tho, I'm a strict supporter of the retail versions, over the digital version. So I have the Ganondorf statue version pre-ordered. So I'll be waiting for a little while longer to get that version. Then I can happily jump into this game. Can't wait. It's one of my favorite Zelda games. Definitely in my Top 3. Tho A Link to the Past is not only my Number 1 favorite Zelda game, but it's it's also my Number 1 favorite video game of all time. So I'm also greatly excited for the 3DS title, A Link Between Worlds. I have that pre-ordered too.

However, back to Wind Waker, again, I'll wait on Hero Mode until I beat the Normal Mode again. It's been a long time since I last played it, so I'd feel more comfortable if I played the game again, before going for the "challenge" mode.

I absolutely hate "hard" modes in any game. It's a cheap way for developers to extend the value of the game, and playing it is almost never satisfying, even for experienced players. The games usually feel unfair and unforgiving, which makes sense, because the levels are designed for normal difficulty, so cranking up the difficulty only increases the frustration level.

I think it depends on the game, as there are some games where even "hard" mode is way too easy. As long as the game is 'balanced' properly, I don't mind 'hard mode'. If the game is "cheap" or too overly difficult, then yeah, that's a problem. But if it's balanced properly, to where you could beat it with a bit of a challenge, that's fine. As long as it's "do-able". If you lose mostly because of 'human error' on your part, and not because the game is being overly difficult, then that works for me. If the game just becomes ridiculously difficult for no reason, then that's a problem. That shouldn't happen. But if it's just like a timing issue for a jump or something. Something that can be done, but you just have to do the pattern correctly or something, that's mostly fine. Depending on the exact puzzle or obstacle or how difficult it is to time things or the reaction time or different things. Just the overall balance of the difficulty. If "hard mode" is still easy, then I welcome it, because if the game was too, too easy to begin with, then at least 'hard mode' makes it not as easy.

Again, I think it just depends on the individual game, and the balance of the difficulty on "hard mode".

Professor E. Gadd said:
I absolutely hate "hard" modes in any game. It's a cheap way for developers to extend the value of the game, and playing it is almost never satisfying, even for experienced players. The games usually feel unfair and unforgiving, which makes sense, because the levels are designed for normal difficulty, so cranking up the difficulty only increases the frustration level.
Yes I concur. After I finish a game, the idea of doing it all again, but this time standing on my head, seems less than appealing.

The difference between normal mode and "hard" mode tends to be a bit of a jump. So you it is really like "easy mode" and "super hard mode". Pick one.

Latest threads

Back