Most frustrating moments in Zelda games

Shimus

Playing
Nintendo 64
What was your most frustrating moments? Where did they happen? What game?

I remember being stuck in Ocarina of Time at one point in the infamous water temple until I got down the system for raising and lowering and that temple actually became fun. At the beginning it was just a headache. I was only 11 or 12 years old so it was cool I didn't spend more time on it. I was always into puzzle games.

Then, in Skyward Sword on Hero Mode some of those bosses were rageworthy. But it was a fun go of it.

In my experience, the most frustrating moment of any The Legend of Zelda game is getting snatched up by the Wallmaster and taken back to the start of the dungeon (especially when deep into the level)!

Having to leave a dungeon because you don't have enough keys to progress further is also pretty frustrating!

Usually in the situations of the keys, there was always another key to get to replace the fact you took a key to the wrong door. Sometimes, this wasn't true. But most of the time, anyways.

I totally forgot about the Wallmasters. Creepy ass hands. I indeed hated them too.

OOT - the Forest Temple.

There was a key I couldn't find and I looked *everywhere*. I was even examining the rendered brickwork in one of the rooms trying to work out if it was deliberately wonky and hiding a secret (and shooting many arrows at it to try and get it to reveal itself) or just wonky.

In the end I walked down to the newsagent and looked it up in the walkthrough magazine they had for sale. It turned out to be in the very first room before you'd even entered the temple - the one with the wolves in.

You young people with your internet walkthroughs don't know you're born.

Most frustrating of all time is definitely the Water Temple in OOT. The first time I played, despite the fact that every Zelda dungeon is supposed to be designed so that you never get stuck in an unsolvable situation, I just couldn't get through it. Ended up having to go back to an old save from a few hours before to start the thing over. Definitely a low point in my gaming career lol

Another time I found it frustrating was in Skyward Sword, in the Desert. You had to use those "waypoints" to mark your way across the shifting sands, and one false step - the sand gulped you right up like the Gerudo Valley from OOT. The desert music was good (Lanaryu Desert) and the overall theme was awesome..but traversing those sands gave me a headache, especially sometimes with how sensitive the WII controls were.

hands down, AoL Zelda 2. Start to finish. The only time i had the nerve to toss a Wavebird. Know how expensive a wavebird is? I just never found my groove in it i guess

I concur that The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link was an especially challenging Zelda game, especially with regards to the Thunderbird!

Prior to that point in Zelda II, the likes of Death Mountain may give Link a run-for-his-money--but the key, beyond practice and skillful play, is to put in the time to level-grind (like an RPG)!

That Thinderbird though! ...perhaps the most difficult fight of any Zelda game?

I like to see your comments. The other one I forgot about was in the gameboy version for the Windfish, sometimes I'd find myself running around figuring out what to do because there is no guide or listing or quest log. You just had to puzzle it out. And I must have been all of twelve playing that on my Gameboy..

And haha at the Gamefaqs reference. I've been using them since time was time myself. I remember when the only three systems they had were NES, SNES, and SEGA. My how they've grown. Now, I'd probably even say we could store that amount of text on smartphones and just carry that data with us like a Pokedex. LOL

I like to see your comments. The other one I forgot about was in the gameboy version for the Windfish, sometimes I'd find myself running around figuring out what to do because there is no guide or listing or quest log. You just had to puzzle it out. And I must have been all of twelve playing that on my Gameboy..
Totally had the same experience when I first started playing Link's Awakening. Just couldn't quite figure out what to do, and then I realized I could push blocks to move them, and things got a little easier :p

And haha at the Gamefaqs reference. I've been using them since time was time myself. I remember when the only three systems they had were NES, SNES, and SEGA. My how they've grown. Now, I'd probably even say we could store that amount of text on smartphones and just carry that data with us like a Pokedex. LOL
Haha, yeah it is pretty crazy to see how much that site has changed. And you're totally right, you can pretty much make your own gaming Pokedex's now XD

among other things, another frustrating moment was indeed the forest temple. I only had a different problem, recognizing those vines and skulltulas were climbable/killable and there were multiple rooms hidden up high (especially the first room with the key above the wolves) - that temple at points was creepy and confusing. And it had the fun poe sisters fight, and phantom ganon boss. Well done out. I had an easier time with the water temple once I realized the level trick but forest temple had the wings that made you feel like you were backtracking.

Another was right at the start of OOT, as a kid and not knowing any better the Lost Woods confused me a bit until I got down the "doors that weren't completely black *Had a light in the dead middle*" actually went to a path that didnt lead back out.

Another vote here for the OOT first water temple. Up and down, carrying Ruto about (or in mine and my brothers case throwing her when she was particularly annoying), it was tedious, difficult and I could never get it first time.

Any part in the first Zelda game where you to burn a bush, before game guides were available. You'd just have to burn every single one in sight. That got a little frustrating. Especially when you were a 8 year old kid. The 2nd one was just tough overall.

I got stuck at the freaking Water Temple in Majora's Mask. I was so confused and it was extremely frustrating traversing through the same rooms trying to figure out where to go. Now that I think about it... I'm still stuck at that same place! I haven't picked the game back up in almost 2 years now.

You should pick it up again. It's totally worth it!

My most frustrating moment in Zelda happens whenever I start OoT. No matter where I was before of if I saved there (with the exception of dungeons), the game sets me back to my house in Kokiri Forest. Is that supposed to happen? It's especially annoying because I play OoT at my cousin's house, so I don't play regularly. Being set back so far is really annoying.

I remember one I really hated. It was Legend Of Zelda Skyward Sword, there was a temple and a big eye watching me, I had my sword, and I left, came back a lot of times... Totally a mess... but then a friend told me (google) I just had to move my sword an dizzy the eye... That's it. Lots of hours thinking and thinking and all I had to do whas that! Those are Zelda Moments.

My most frustrating moment in Zelda happens whenever I start OoT. No matter where I was before of if I saved there (with the exception of dungeons), the game sets me back to my house in Kokiri Forest. Is that supposed to happen? It's especially annoying because I play OoT at my cousin's house, so I don't play regularly. Being set back so far is really annoying.

Yes this is supposed to happen. You didn't lose any of your progress, it just starts you out at a few default locations. If you check your equipment, etc. you'll see that everything that you obtained before shutting off the game will be there, any levels you beat will still be completed.

Latest threads

Back