Game Boy Pocket differenz screens?

Discussion in 'Game Boy' started by MatrixMorpher, May 3, 2018.

1. MatrixMorpher

MatrixMorpher New Member

Playing:
    Game Boy Pocket
    Hi,
    I am new here.
    Soon I will make a Review to the Game Boy Classic, Pocket and Light.
    Here I have two questions.

1. Why do have some Game Boy Pockets green Screens and other the newer silver Screens?

2. What exact release Dates do you know for the Pocket in Japan and in Europe? I only find 1996 but nothing more specific.

Thank you very much.

2. MatrixMorpher

MatrixMorpher New Member

Playing:
    Game Boy Pocket
    No one in a Nintendo Forum does know?

3. Heigw

Heigw Active Member

Michigan
    Playing:
    Game Boy Micro
    GBP was only released in Japan and North America as far as I know. And yeah, in 1996. I think the Japan release was a little before North America though. Sorry for the late reply!

4. MatrixMorpher

MatrixMorpher New Member

Playing:
    Game Boy Pocket
    Hi and thanks.
    But you dont have any specific date?
    And why some have green screens and others the newer silver ones?

5. Heigw

Heigw Active Member

Michigan
    Playing:
    Game Boy Micro
    I don't know the specific dates, most consoles I wouldn't even know the year at all, but I happen to love the Gameboy line (probably more than any other line of devices!) so I thought I did pretty good with knowing they were both in 1996!

I also don't know why some are green and some are silver. Maybe Nintendo just wanted to make one more variation that collectors would have to buy?

6. MatrixMorpher

MatrixMorpher New Member

Playing:
    Game Boy Pocket
    Well, I already have 8 pages full of information for my Youtube Review and I usually am as specific as it can be. But unfortunately the pocket seems only to be a footnote in the Game Boy franchise. So I will say yeah it was released in 1996. stupid... but what can I do. And that not one webpage mentions the screen difference is very sad.

Heigw likes this.
  7. hakkoda

hakkoda New Member

Playing:
    Game Boy
    The Game Boy Pocket originally has a grey/silver screen, but if you replace the front polarizing filter with one from HandHeldLegend, the screen becomes green. From what I've found, it's because the original front polarizing filter is a circular filter and the replacements are linear. That's about all I know at this point. Watch the front polarizing filter get replaced on YouTube and view the results at the end:

Heigw likes this.