Nintendo: What should the next step be?

JoanMcWench

Playing
NES
So, it's clear Nintendo is a couple steps behind the pack at this point but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They have an opportunity the other companies do not: Dealing with bugs through other companies consoles. So, what's their next step? Do you think they can revolutionize the game again?

Not really cause what more is there outside of actually doing virtual reality? Right now the main things have been done and really all Nintendo could do is make a PC console which I think would end up to much for selling. I am someone that believes the consoles here on out really you are just basically going to upgrade graphics cards and RAM and memory.

I doubt it would ever happen but I think Nintendo would make a killing if they released a Mario game that was on even a PS4 or Xbox or a Zelda game.

No, I doubt that as well. Not because it wouldn't be mind blowingly awesome but because that's Nintendo's bread & butter. They sell systems with Mario games.

Speaking to the virtual reality idea: Why not? Why not go in that direction? It's not as if they're not exploring it in other industries.

Well I say no to VR cause really to be very innovative you would need to release a console that only uses VR and uses it great. I say that cause Microsoft and Sony are both working on VR projects to work with their systems instead of taking over system, meaning you can play your regular games and if wanted to some VR games.

The problem with VR games is how many developers really know how to use it to the full extent? If a company doesn't then they would need to bring someone in to teach or help in the company so costs of making a game might go up. Right now I don't see VR being something great cause of the huge bulky headset, and who knows what the health risks will be if playing to long.

Without exploring you're not really going to get anywhere. I get that many developers are trying to catch up more than they are leading the idea but without one you don't really have the other. There's potential there. Yes, there's a bulky headset but there's also Google glasses. Can there not be an incorporation of the two?

Google glass is like a pair of glasses so corner of it will be open. You need something closer to goggles in order for VR to really work. Also the amount of hardware you need to put into it cannot go into something so small. The future it could be who knows.

The main problem is that the other 2 are working on VR projects so outside of VR where else can Nintendo go? All you can really say is making it more like a computer or just enhancing graphics, memory, and processing speed. Nintendo also has the issue that companies will bypass making a Wii U version of their game cause it doesn't use the game like the other 2 will.

I'm not suggesting it be the exact same model as Google glass but it can be the weight or size to take away from being bulky. Like I said exploring what works is key.

Nintendo's home consoles are still performing well enough that I highly doubt that Nintendo would license their franchises like Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Metroid to other companies' games rather than keeping them as games exclusive to Nintendo's own consoles.

Such a practice doesn't really seem to begin until a company is in more dire straights and abandons building their own exclusive home consoles. E.g. Sega didn't segue into such licensing until they abandoned making their own home consoles and started making games for other systems. If Sega were still making their own consoles, I very much suspect that the likes of Sonic The Hedgehog would still be exclusive to Sega systems and moreover we wouldn't have Sonic and Mario co-starring within the same game.

(As a non-video game example, Marvel Comics didn't start selling the motion picture rights to their various franchises to a myriad of different film studios until they went bankrupt in the nineties--a move that Marvel now regrets now that they have their own film studio. Then again, the comic book industry also has a strong precedent for different, normally competing companies sharing their characters in special cross-overs in which the Justice League meets The Avengers, Batman meets Spawn and Judge Dredd, etc.)

Granted, there are a few anomalous exceptions like Nintendo lending the Mario and Zelda licenses to the Phillips CD-I. That's a special case due to a special deal between Nintendo and Phillips for that console (just as Sony and Marvel Studios just made a special deal to share Spider-Man)--and ended up as a totally disaster for all involved, thereby likely making Nintendo hesitant to experiment with such licensing in the near future (just as the spectre of the failed Virtual Boy most likely makes Nintendo hesitant to dip their toes in the virtual reality waters any time soon).

However, all of that being said, I can envision a special case in which Nintendo may indeed start marking games for something other than their own systems: Nintendo making rather simple time wasting games featuring their licensed characters for smart phones (a modern Dr. Mario on your iPhone, for example). Such games are one of the hottest trends in the current video game market (some even tote it as the future of video games), and I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't want to enter that market for themselves (without going to the incredibly risky and ill advised extreme of making their own smart phone device).

Nintendo's next step should be VR. They've already invested their time into motion controls and got that down pretty much spot on after some repeated WII (*the original*) failed attempts to relocate the sensor bar (I know we've all had those problems, if we had a WII at any point) and now they're becoming so hands-free and intuitive that should really take that to the next level and work more with all the motion stuff and iron everything out, but I feel it could serve as a nice basis to build upon some VR.

Let's take a look at the past 20 years. Sega and Nintendo fought it out til Sega threw in the towel after the Playstation took majority of the market. Now we see Microsoft and Sony dukeing it out for top supremacy. Nintendo might as well pack it up and become a game publisher just like Sega. That;s the way I see it going. They might be making a profit, but is it enough or even worth the trouble anymore.

Virtual reality would be a very interesting move for Nintendo. They did get on that bandwagon back in the 90's with the Virtual Boy.

For me, I would just love to see Nintendo really embrace online play and DLC. Granted, they're not the greatest thing about gaming but the fact that Nintendo has paid it such little attention has really hurt it. They're starting to get on board, but they've still got a ways to go.

That's very true. A bunch of those titles are single campaigns and offline at that. I never did put my finger on that until you mentioned it.

If they embraced that and got a bigger following, perhaps the revenues would be enough for them TO expand into the VR market. I guess there are steps you have to take prior to doing it, to be true.

Nintendo really need to find a way to lure in more 3rd party developers. Their own franchises are great but they're just not getting enough compelling titles developed for their consoles, ever since the GameCube days. I've always heard that their development tools are awesome and among the best in the industry. Therefore they don't have a problem there. So they must find ways to make it easier and cheaper for 3rd party developers to get their games on the next Nintendo console.

Latest threads

Back