Using 3D on 3DS

Miss Peach

I love my 3DS, but I find myself forgetting to actually use the 3D option. Does anyone else do this? Sometimes I think the 3D part in a game is not as good as it could be, too. What are your thoughts on this? Is there a game you have played that had awesome 3D graphics?

I'm not really a fan of the 3ds's 3d option.I played Kingdom Hearts and it looked absolutely beautiful but, it made my eyes all wonky.I'm glad there's an option to turn it off because otherwise I wouldn't be able to enjoy any of the game without a massive headache.

I'm not really a fan of the 3ds's 3d option.I played Kingdom Hearts and it looked absolutely beautiful but, it made my eyes all wonky.I'm glad there's an option to turn it off because otherwise I wouldn't be able to enjoy any of the game without a massive headache.

Nintendo has not, in my opinion, ever gotten 3D right. The same complaints I've heard of the 3D features on the 3DS (mainly headaches and blurry tunnel vision) are the same things people said decades ago with the Virtual Boy. 3D isn't quite ready for mainstream gaming yet.

To tell the truth, I hate 3D anything. I refuse to see movies in 3D, even if it is something I really want to see. I mainly bought my 3DS because there was a deal at Walmart and I needed an updated handheld system.

Most of the companies don't even bother with making 3D an issue for the 3DS anymore.

The problem is when it worked, you literally have to be in a "certain" position to see the 3D effects. Which can lead to very uncomfortable gaming situations.

I pick up my niece's all the time, play around with it. I like it. I keep it on. When she catches me, and sees the 3d is enabled, she flips out. She doesn't like it. Says it makes it look silly.

It's ok when it works. But the fact that I have to sit "a certain way" to take advantage of it takes away from the focus of handheld gaming, comfort.

DwaHow said:
This. The 3D feature is really cool the first few times but after about thirty minutes my eyes get strained and I have to turn it off. Most of the DS games I enjoy don't really utilize the 3D feature too much anyway.

crossunitedfate said:
It's ok when it works. But the fact that I have to sit "a certain way" to take advantage of it takes away from the focus of handheld gaming, comfort.
I guess it depends on how long time you spend playing in one session. I love the 3d for games like Mario kart, but I only play for 20-30 minutes vs my brother. When I play games like Zelda:OoT I tend to lose track of time and play for hours, and having 3d on would indeed make it uncomfortable after 30-40 minutes. In this case I just play without it.

My 3D is almost always off. A lot of games I own have okay 3D effects, others are just horrendous. Plus after so long your eyes begin to hurt you from the 3D effects, so I tend to just keep it off and play the console like a normal DS but with better games & graphics. :)

@Smokey But don't you ever put it on? I'm quite surprised at how negative most people are against what in my opinion is one of the main features of the console.

Yes I do put it on for certain games. Whenever I buy a new 3DS game I put it on to see how the 3D is for that game. The main reason a lot of people don't use the 3D is because it bothers their eyes after about 5 to 10 minutes of using it. So rathe rthen having to stop playing every 5 to 10 mins, you can get more game time in without using it. :p At least that's why I don't use it too often. IMO Nintendo could've done more testing with it's 3D and try to come up with a solution so that it wouldn't really bother too many people but I guess the only way around that would've been maybe special glasses and no one wants to have to use glasses to play a handheld console.

5 to 10 minutes only? that sounds unfortunate for you, I have no problems using it as long as I do not play more than around 40 minutes. Have you tried having 3d on, but not on

Yes I've moved it down to medium/low and still can only tolerate about 15 minutes. It doesn't really matter to me either way. I bought the 3DS to play 3DS games, not necessarily for the 3D aspect of it. :p I know that sounds dumb, but yeah.....

If you're crosseyed or have a wandering eye, the 3D almost never works for you. I have the DSi but when I tried testing the 3DS to see if I was interested in buying it, I couldn't see the 3D of it right no matter what I did or how I looked at it. Then again, my thought was at the time that all the games were going to look crappy if I didn't use the 3D so I eventually talked myself out of it.

Then again, headaches like that don't appeal to me so I suppose I don't regret my decision.

It honestly depends on the game, I love the 3D option except if I want to get a good look at it I have to hold it in an uncomfortable position. With the 3D option being a main advertised feature for the handheld I don't think they did that great a job on it.

Overall for me I think it's a little neat, but it could definitely use some work. I have encountered numerous people that have an issue with it.

Never though about the "crosseyed not being able to see 3d", how is it with people who have other sight problems and have to wear glasses?

When I first got my 3DS, i thought that experiencing games in 3D was going to be this spectacular new feature that would really enhance how certain games looked and play, but i was really underwhelmed by it. I even tried it on different games, just to see if my opinion would change, but it remains the same, sadly. I wear contact lenses, but if I didn't have them, I would have to wear glasses, and would not be able to enjoy the 3D feature, not that there is much to enjoy lol.

@Dreek Lass That is also how I feel. I have hydrocephalus so I can't handle flashy things like that all the time as it can bring on a seizure for me. That being said, I don't use the 3D much as I stated in a previous post. 5 to 10 minutes is about all I can take and in certain games it's even less then that. So I just keep th 3D off and use the 3DS as a regular one but with better games then the original DS. :)

I actually find myself needing to use the 3D feature in order to play the games comfortably. The games I have, like Super Mario 3D Land, feature levels or areas that are unplayable without the 3D feature because of the need for depth perception. In the title screen, for example, viewing the tutorial level in 2D makes the platform appear to be an impossible shape, when there is actually a block underneath the top blocks, and the camera angle makes the blocks on the top block the empty space underneath it. With the 3D on, this platform is visible and you get a sense of how far away it is beause of the 3D feature.

Not only that, but the images in the 3D games just look sharper and more clear, and in some cases the graphics are improved when the 3D is on. I turn off the 3D when I play New Super Mario Bros. 2, though. It looks nice with the 3D on, but it's a huge battery eater.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back