Best PS1 game - Castlevania SoTN, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid or Resident Evil 2?

Damien Lee

Playing
Super Famicom
The PlayStation 1 was a legendary console, primarily for it's awesome library of games. This was a system that would enjoy a regular stream of hit games, month-after-month...year-after-year.

There are too many amazing PS1 games to list. But a few titles that game fans still revere are not that hard to keep track of. Titles such as Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 2 are the stuff of legends. These were all highly-rated and must own titles for the PS1.

I own and have played through all four, and it's really hard to pick a favorite. At the end of the day, Metal Gear Solid is my fave, only slightly edging out Final Fintasy VII.

What's your favorite?

I might get a lot of hate, but I never liked the Metal Gear series. I tried to get into it; I've even watched videos both educational (walkthroughs and such) and gag-ripons (Like EGORAPTORS channel) - but I just can't get into it.

But man, pitting all those games next to each other?

RE:2 had to be the front runner there. Creepy the max, perfectly designed, it's what really launched RE into the famedom it has.

Then C:SOTN, then FFVII but only by VERY SLIGHT (and I do mean SLIGHT) margins.

Hey, don't worry about it. The Metal Gear Solid franchise is sort of an acquired taste. I know plenty of hardcore gamers who either haven't bothered to play it, or can't stand the series in general. My biggest pet hate is the control scheme but it has been improved in later iterations. Resident Evil 2 is a great pick and probably the best RE in my opinion, even beating the mighty RE4.

Latest threads

Back