Contra III: The Alien Wars - positive & negative aspects of the game

Damien Lee

Playing
Super Famicom
Contra III: The Alien Wars by Konami is one of my favorite titles on the SNES. Since I've always been a huge fan of the Contra series and run 'n gun games in general, it's pretty much a given that I'd have this game in my collection. I really enjoyed the side-scrolling sections, those are classic Contra and the boss battles are frigging amazing.

However, I've never warmed up to the top-down sections. While the mode 7 rotation aspect was impressive and innovative for the time, I just thought that it got old quick. It was also difficult to target the enemies while moving as I was trying to avoid enemy fire as well. Therefore, I always find these section a chore that let down Contra III a little.

What are your thoughts on this?

Mode 7! Wow I had forgotten about that highly touted feature of the SNES. The worst use of that had to be in NHL Stanley Cup. It gave you the biggest headache as the perspective kept spinning around and around. I feel nauseous just thinking about it. So I'm definitely with you regarding the top-down sections. I appreciate what they were trying to do, but I was never big on them either.

Contra III though, was a classic and didn't suffer too much because of them. Great walk down memory lane! :)

Yes, overall Contra III didn't suffer as it's still regarded as one of the best games in the series. I just think that the Mode 7 effects were better used in Super Castlevania IV. Nevertheless, I always like to play Contra III & Contra: Hard Corps (on the Genesis) back to back as it helps me to appreciate what Konami were trying to do back in those days. On one hand, Contra III is the more elegant game while Hard Corps tends to go all Van Damme like a wild beast. It's sort of a fire & ice experience. ;)

I played a bit of Contra III yesterday Oh. My. God. is it hard... Hahaha, I had completely forgotten how unforgiving the games were back then. Small pellet flying slowly towards you, accidentally stand up into it... Dead. And the stupid dogs! Wow, I really need to put in a bit more practice if I'm hoping to get past the first level!

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back