Did you get into Final Fantasy and other JRPGs during the NES era?

Damien Lee

Playing
Super Famicom
Final Fantasy and other JRPGs didn't quite catch on in the west during the NES era. While Dragon Quest, Shin Megami Tensei and Final Fantasy were tearing up the charts in Japan, this did not occur in other regions. I remember seeing screenshots of Final Fantasy on the NES in game magazines and just thought that it looked boring. As I was into platformers, beat 'em-ups and shoot 'em-ups at the time, I was pretty much accustomed to more flashy affairs.

Therefore I didn't get into a JRPGs back then. It wasn't until Lunar appeared on the Sega CD that I eventually started gaining interest in the genre.

Did you get into Final Fantasy and/or other JRPGs during the NES era?

I have to admit that I'm like you where JRPG never interested me at all.
In fact, I've never played Final Fantasy (any of them), or any of the JRPGs you mentioned. They just seem boring to me, which is strange because I'm really into some Anime, so perhaps I should have a look and try some.
What do you suggest for the NES?

I played (and finished) the original Final Fantasy. I also played Dragon Quest since I got it free with my subscription to Nintendo Power, but other than that, I don't think I played too many JRPGs on the NES. In fact I'm drawing a blank as to what others were released.

Would Faxanadu count as a JRPG?

Oh yes, my first JRPGs were Dragon Warrior and Crystalis on the NES! Both are unquestionably classic gems that stand on their own whilst also hinting at the greatness that was to come with the later SNES JRPGs like Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger!

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back