Donkey Kong Country Returns

regenerator

Apparently this is old old news but it's new to me so I thought I'd share. It's the 3Ds port of the Wii game. It's coming out today. Was anyone planning on buying it?

Players take control of the series's protagonist Donkey Kong, as well as his friend Diddy Kong in certain situations, with many traditional elements of the Donkey Kong Country series returning, including mine cart levels, the ability to swing between vines and collect bananas, and the golden "KONG" puzzle pieces. New gameplay elements include levels in which the characters and foreground environments appear as silhouettes, spawning several new gameplay mechanics. In single-player mode, players can only play as Donkey Kong, although Diddy Kong rides on Donkey Kong's back, and Donkey Kong can use Diddy's jetpack to jump further. Multiplayer mode enables a second player to control Diddy Kong. If a player's character dies in two-player mode, it can be brought back by using the other character to hit a "DK Barrel" that floats into view, a mechanic similar to the one used in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. To avoid problems arising from differences in the players' skills, Diddy can hop on Donkey's back to take on a more passive role, while his jetpack can be used to make his partner's jumps easier. Both Donkey and Diddy can pound the ground to defeat enemies and unveil secret items.
Bonus gameplay video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9lgw9mDs9o

regenerator said:
Was anyone planning on buying it?
Nope. Tired of 3D gimmicks, and it's not going to look better than the Wii version anyway.

I was never into Donkey Kong like that. As such the announcement brings up a little nostalgia, but not nearly enough to part with my dearly earned cash to go investigate this.

I'm not too sure if I will buy this or not. I played the original on the Wii and it was a beautiful game, not to mention fun.
I never really buy imports for different systems as it's just the same game. I might have to give this one a miss I'm afraid,
I love Donkey Kong games but it's pretty much the same as the one I have on the Wii.

Like most of you, I'm not into ports either.
However, I've bought two ports on my 3DS (Both N64 ones) which are Ocarina of Time & Lylat Wars (star fox 64) and I think they are both great and are both considerably better than their originals.

Donkey Kong has been a game I have tried and not really loved over the years from Country to 64. But there is just something about this that makes me wanna try it again.

Maybe it was the way he smacked up that totem pole at the end!

N64 to 3DS ports are cool because they're an opportunity to re-do textures, increase the resolution, and improve sound fidelity. Wii to 3DS ports undergo the opposite process and will pretty much always be gimped, both in of polygons and resolution, so I will always be against these kinds of ports.

Well it's official - if the dude with the Donkey Kong avatar and the Donkey Kong inspired name wants nothing to do with this... then this game is not on the shopping list. Seriously though I agree about the shoddy quality likely to come of this port.

I played the wii version, which is awesome! It is the better version graphics wise, but the 3DS version has a few extra levels and items. I love donkey kong country series. I'm hyped about Tropical freeze!

Latest threads

Back