Favorite Avenger!

iceskater101

From
Minnesota :)
Playing
3DS
I was watching the Avengers last night.. and it made me think of which is my absolute favorite avenger.

Now I am talking about the superheroes in the Avengers (Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Captain America, Thor, Hulk and Nick Fury)

My favorite has to be Captain America.

He is very selfless. He is willing to do whatever it takes to save innocent people. That's shown when Captain America goes to save the people trapped in the building in the final Avengers alien attack. He also understands personal loss and he is willing to fight for the people that have been lost, like Phil Coulson (who apparently is alive now? but I am treating him as dead in this case)

So.. who is your favorite avenger?

They didn't put Spider-Man in the Avengers movie because everyone except Capt. America would seem like complete douchebags compared to him.
Him and the captain are very good friends in the comics, and Capt. America is older...

However, in the Avengers movies, I really liked Hawkeye.
He's calm, does his job right and he's incredibly loyal.

Well and Sony owns Spiderman... lol so they couldn't put him in the movie.

Hawkeye is definitely a cool character.

My favourite Avenger from the Marvel films is most definitely Iron Man, especially with regards to his first cinematic outing back in 2008!

First of all, there are numerous strong parallels between Iron Man and my favourite DC character, Batman: both have origins based upon either tragedy or redemption (a child vowing to avenge his parents murder by fully devoting his life and wealth to fight the type of crime that claimed them versus a shallow, narcissistic, war-profiteer's tale of redemption after being abducted and maimed by a warlord), both battle very real-world personal demons in addition to supervillians (addiction, post-traumatic stress, spurned mistakes of their past coming back to haunt them), both are billionaire playboys (although Bruce Wayne's playboy persona is an act for the public), both are beyond-ingenious men of science, both use their massive wealth to fund advanced ultra-high-tech crime fighting tools which moreover include numerous special battle suits, both have supportive butlers as one of their main aides (Jarvis is actually a human butler in the comics), both have prominent roles within their world's premier league of superheros, both belong to subset of technology-and/or-training heroes arguably more realistic and plausible, in strictly relative terms, than superheros who actually have superhuman or supernatural powers, etc.

Beyond those parallels and on top of the reasons why I like the Iron Man character in general: Robert Downey Jr. brings an incredible presence and gravitas to his portrayal of Tony Stark, somehow and brilliantly transmuting jerky hubris and narcissism into charismatic charm! I would go so far as to say that Robert Downey Jr.'s performance are the highlight of Marvel's entire cinematic enterprise thus far!

Not to sound like a creep, but I fully admit that I'm a big fan of femme fatale characters who exude incredible martial expertise and a sultry sexuality--like Catwoman, Lady Shiva, Talia al Ghul, etc. As such, Black Widow is my favourite agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and my second favourite Avenger! Black Widow moreover brings internationalism (being Russian) and a pulp espionage flair to The Avengers. (Although that could of course also be said of Nick Fury and his S.H.I.E.L.D.) And, again, beyond liking the comic book character: I love the absolutely perfect casting of Scarlett Johansson in the role!

wow, awesome comp of bruce and tony! it never occurred to me before.

you are correct about Downey Jr., he IS Tony Stark, and the first Iron Man blew everything out of the water, over Spiderman and Xmen

I'm still undecided though

Thor but not the movie version the comic version

Another Captain America fan here, but that stems from the comics before I saw any of the movies. I didn't actually think much of the first Captain America movie- it wasn't until the first Avengers film I felt that they caught his character right. The franchise is so huge now I'm behind on films, but for now Cap is definitely my favourite.

In terms of the movies Robert Downey Jr. just brings so much to his role in Iron Man that scenes he is in are usually my favorites. Comics wise I would have to go more with Hawkeye, especially the newest run in the last year or so. That style from those books is what I wish would a Hawkeye solo movie would be like even though I don't think it's very likely. I have to agree with Natalie that the franchise did a much better job with Captain America after the first Avengers movie. I didn't really get too much into the original Cap movie but the second was great and in Avengers 2 he had some of the best lines of the movie.

Tony Stark is the infinite winner. Billionaire Philanthropist Playboy? Check. Awesome Suit? Check. Superpowers? Not really aside from a generator in his chest essentially. He makes due with what he has, and had to make it what it was himself. He didn't whine because he didn't have any power - he took action.

My favourite Avenger is... Natasha Romanoff a.k.a the Black Widow! She's all kinds of awesome and more than holds her own with the Avengers (even without super-powers). I just wish Marvel would market her a bit more, it's so hard to find Black Widow themed merchandise. Scarlett Johansson did an amazing job portraying her in the movies, and I'm hoping some day we get a Black Widow stand-alone film. I also really liked her relationship with Bruce Banner :)

Back