"Hello Again"

Lawnachaun

From
California
Playing
Wii U
Hello Again.... for the first time. Don't freak out, I always say 'Hello Again', even if I'm just meeting you for the first time. It's just what I do.

Anyways, I just stumbled upon this site, and after browsing it for a few minutes, decided to join up and jump on in. I love all video games, however, I'm a true Nintendo fan at heart. I've been 'gaming' since the Commodore 64, which, by the way, I still have til this day. And it still works, too. I first got it (well, my dad first got it.. that is), in 1983. I've been playing on it, and other computer or game consoles, since. I was 2 years old when I first started playing games on the Commodore 64. Now, 30 years later, I'm still going strong, with no signs of slowing down.

I grew up in the early days of console gaming, and saw it progress, grow, and change, over the decades. The industry sure has changed a lot in that time frame. It's come a long way in just a few short decades. And in that time, I've played just about every type of game and console out there. My top 3 favorite gaming consoles over the years were the Super Nintendo, Playstation 2, and Nintendo DS. I'm having a hard time trying to narrow down my Top 5, but those are the Top 3 favorite gaming machines that I loved, over the years.

That said, I will have to say that right now the Wii U is currently my favorite console to game on. So much so that it's currently the only console that I have plugged in. Everything else I've packed up and stored away. I currently only play the Wii U, 3DS, and PC. I don't feel the need for anything else. Now, don't get me wrong, I am NOT a "fanboy" at all. I am a "gamer". There is a huge difference. I like playing all kinds of games on all kinds of consoles. I have my favorites in each generation as well. So, just so you'll get to know me a little better, here's my personal ranking of the consoles, per generation...

(I was born in 1981, so the first 2 gaming "generations" were a little before my time. I got to play them, but not much when I was younger, and even less when I got older. So I'll start with the 3rd generation, when I dove head first into the gaming world at full speed, and never looked back)...(also, I'm leaving out the systems that I either didn't play much or didn't care for.. but I will add in Handheld systems as well..)

3rd Generation -
1) NES
2) PC
3) Sega Master System
4) Nintendo Game & Watch

4th Generation -
1) Super Nintendo
2) Sega Genesis
3) PC
4) Nintendo Gameboy

5th Generation -
1) Sony Playstation
2) Nintendo 64
3) PC
4) Sega Saturn

6th Generation -
1) Sony Playstation 2
2) Sega Dreamcast
3) Nintendo Gamecube
4) PC
5 Gameboy Advance
6) Microsoft Xbox

7th Generation -
1) Nintendo DS
2) PC
3) Nintendo Wii
4) Xbox 360
5) Playstation 3

8th Generation -
1) Wii U
2) 3DS
3) PC
4) -
5) -

Like I said earlier, I'm a Nintendo fan at heart, but I do like other systems as well. They just know how to make games, and consoles. Also, as I said earlier as well, I am not a "fanboy". I am a "gamer". And as such, I'll play whatever, on whatever. As long as it's fun, I'm down for it. So, with that said, here is my stance on the current 3 major console makers: Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. ..

Sony -
I like Sony, overall. I loved their first Playstation, and it was my favorite console of that generation. Then, the Playstation 2 repeated, and also became my favorite console of it's generation. Both were great systems that had tons of great games, and a wide variety of stuff on it. I loved the both. However, they promised a lot with the Playstation 3, and when it launched, honestly, I wasn't impressed. I thought for sure that I would love it, however, after playing it, I wasn't impressed. Sony also released the PSP, which I didn't like either. My roommate, at the time, got a PSP. He was proud of it, when he first got it. But he soon got tired of it, and almost immediately just used it solely to play emulated Nintendo games and to watch movies or video files, or to play music. That was it. He only played a few games on it, but gave up on those quickly. Other than that, he would play Nintendo games on, or watch videos or listen to music. After about a year or so, he just gave it to me to have, for free, because he wanted to get rid of it. He hated it that much. I had played it a few times, and wasn't impressed. I was having, way, way more fun on the DS. I had no need for a PSP. But I took it, mainly just to "collect" it. I used it a few times when he still owned it. But when it officially became mine, I have never touched it since. It just sits there and collects dust. The same thing happened with the PS Vita. There is nothing on it that I want. I've played it a few times, but I have absolutely zero desire to go out and get one. Especially when I'm loving my 3DS way too much. I know I'll never play the Vita, as it's just not that compelling to me. Finally, the Playstation 4 is on it's way, and I have to say that I am not excited about it in the least. Sony has, for the most part, lost me, with what they have done and are doing. I look at the PS4, and sure, some things look nice. However, all I see when I look at the PS4 and it's games are 2 things... "more of the same".. and "PC game. That's a PC game. There's another game I'd rather have on the PC. I'd rather get that on the Wii U. Look, another PC game". And that's it. There is nothing immediately coming out for the PS4 that makes me want to rush out and get a PS4. Nothing. Everything that interests me I want on either the Wii U or PC. So, instead of wasting money on a the PS4, and never touching it, I could instead just take that money and spend it on games that I'll actually play, on systems I already have. I'll re-look at the PS4 next year, around Christmas time, to see what it has to offer then. But for now, I have zero interest in it. It's just not that compelling. Sure, it looks nice, and has lots of promises. But so did the PS3, and that fell on it's face out of the gate. Granted, the PS3 has picked up in recent years, but at first, I wasn't impressed with it either. So I have no desire to get a PS4 at launch or even within the first year. So, the PS4 is off the table for now. So is the PS Vita. I have no interest in either.

Microsoft -
I wasn't a fan of the original Xbox when it first launched. I didn't see the point of it. I had a PC, as well as the other consoles. The PS2, Gamecube, and Dreamcast. I even liked the Gameboy Advance better than Xbox. Advance Wars was my game on the Gameboy Advance. I put more time into the Advance Wars games alone than I did on the original Xbox all together. No lie. Because I didn't see the point of the Xbox, I had absolutely zero desire to get the 360 when that launched. Pretty much everybody else I knew rushed out to get it, but me. But that was ok. I didn't want it. However, over time, I got to play it alot, here and there. And I enjoyed it more than the PS3. I wasn't a fan of the PS3, even tho I loved the PSX and PS2. However, I was a bigger fan of the Nintendo Wii. I played the Wii more than I did the 360 and PS3 combined. Seriously. I had tons of fun on the Wii. However, nothing beat the DS. That generation I was pretty much a handheld gamer. The 360 had some fun things on it for me, but I was far, far bigger into the DS. I pretty much played the DS exclusively that generation. The majority of my console gaming was on the Wii. It had a good first couple of years, but the last few years have gone down hill. But I still, overall, enjoyed the Wii more than the 360 or PS3. Now, the Xbox One is one it's way, and, as much as I respected the 360, I have no desire to get the Xbox One, for the exact same reasons as the PS4. Everything that I see on there I either want on the Wii U or on the PC. Most of the Sony and Microsoft exclusives don't interest me much. Some I want to play, but I can play them without buying the systems, as I know people who will get them. So I don't need to buy the system myself. And since there seems to be pretty much nothing on both systems, I'm just going to use that money and buy more games for the Wii U, 3DS, and PC, instead. Like the PS4, I'll re-look at the XO next Christmas, next year, and see where it's at then. See what's out for it, and what not. If it looks interesting then, or has stuff that I want on it, then I may get them then. Otherwise, I'll just continue to have fun on the consoles that I enjoy playing right now.

Nintendo -
I love Nintendo. They may not have always been my favorite gaming machine at certain times, but they've always at least been on my radar non-the-less. Gamers today (mostly self professed "hardcore gamers"), always write Nintendo off as a "gimmick" company. But they aren't. Nintendo is not a gimmick company. They are trend setters. They are the leading innovator in the gaming industry. It's true. Sony and Microsoft seem to, for the most part, just take what Nintendo does, and try to make it "bigger" and more "powerful", and that's it. It's like they have no heart and soul in their systems, like Nintendo does. Nintendo is the company that is always pushing the gaming industry forward, for better or worse. Especially with it's controllers. For example... Nintendo was the first to popularize the d-pad, with the original NES. It's now an industry standard... Nintendo was the first to popularize the shoulder buttons, with the Super Nintendo. It's now an industry standard... Nintendo was the first to popularize the rumble feature, with the N64. It's now an industry standard... Nintendo was the first to popularize the analog stick, with the N64. It's now an industry standard... Nintendo was the first to popularize the trigger buttons, with the N64. It's now an industry standard. Nintendo was the first to popularize motion controls, with the Wii. It's now becoming an industry standard, with Microsoft still using the Kinect and Sony still using the Move. Nintendo was the first to popularize the second screen, with the Wii U, and it too, is about to become an industry standard. As Microsoft is turning it into SmartGlass (which is just a glorified remote control, for the most part. Which just looks awful, to be honest), and Sony saying that their Vita is their second screen. However, I see the Vita/PS4 connect the same as the Gameboy Advance/Gamecube connect, taken to the next level. Which, again, Nintendo did it first. See, Nintendo doesn't do gimmicks. They are the trend setters. The leading innovator in the video game industry. They are constantly pushing the industry forward. Sony and Microsoft just take Nintendo's innovations, and put their own twist or spin on them, and make them more powerful. But that's it. The gaming industry needs Nintendo. Without Nintendo, the gaming industry would grow stale. Just like my feelings on the PS4 and XO. It's the same thing, only more powerful. That's it. That's why I love Nintendo. They are the greatest first party video game company out there. Almost all of their first party games become instant classics, or at least get great reviews. And they are constantly pushing the envelope with what can be done, but in a new, fun, and affordable way, when it comes to their consoles.

That said, I believe that Nintendo is on the right track, and going in the right direction. I like that they don't care what the other companies are doing, and don't change who they are based on what others are doing. They do their own thing, regardless of what the competition is doing. They are doing what's right for the industry, and their fans. And they care about what they are doing. They aren't in it just for the money. They are in it for the art of it, and for the fans. That's why Nintendo has no problems holding back a game, delaying it to a later date, in order to ensure that it gets finished completely, and the right way. They care about their products. Other companies like to rush a title or release it complete, just to make a deadline, whether the product is done or not. They figure, hey, we can just patch it up later. They care more about releasing it to get the quick sales. They care only about the money, and not about the product themselves. Not everybody, but there are a lot of other companies that do that. Nintendo doesn't do that. They pride themselves on doing it right, even if it takes a little longer. For instance, if a game has to miss the holidays in order to be properly completed first, they have no problem skipping the holidays, finishing it until it's perfect, and then releasing it only when it's done properly. Other companies would just release it, get the holiday sales, and then release a patch later to fix whatever was wrong or incomplete. So, I respect Nintendo the most, out of all of the video game companies, when it comes to the actual video games. And most of their games are my favorite, as well as my favorite franchises and characters. They put heart and soul into their games and into their consoles, and they keep pushing the envelope and innovating. Which I commend them highly for.

When it comes to Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft, I see them like this.. Sony and Microsoft are pretty much in the same boat. They are in similar situations, and are nothing like Nintendo. For instance, Sony and Microsoft don't just make video games. They do other things as well. Sony makes video games, and tv's and stereos, and dvd/bluray players, and etc.etc.. while Microsoft makes video games and Windows for PCs and Smartphones, etc.etc. Both seem to have their hand in a lot of things. A "Jack of all Trades", if you will. Nintendo, on the other hand, is not in the same position as them, and has a completely different philosophy than them. Nintendo only makes video games. Sure, they market their product/franchises/characters/etc., in a bunch of different ways, with toys and all kinds of other things. However, they are just marketing their video game products/characters in different ways. All of their brands are video game related. Nintendo's philosophy seems to be.. "Why be a 'Jack of all Trades', when you can be an Ace in one thing". And that one thing, undoubtedly, is making video games. That's what they do. That's who they are. And they are great at it.

That said, the Wii U is currently, undoubtedly, my favorite console. I was a huge 3DS fan, and never put it down. That is, until the Wii U came out. Once the Wii U came out, that's when my 3DS playtime kind of slowed down, as I put tremendous amounts of time into the Wii U. Currently, I own 33 Wii U retail titles, and I'm having a blast with each and every one of them. There are tons of Wii U titles that are on my list to buy the day that they come out. The Wii U, I can see already, is going to be my favorite console of this generation. It's fun. It's a blast. And it's constantly getting better and better. There are so many games that interest me. And, the games that interest me, that happen to not be on the Wii U, are on the PC. So I'll get the PC version. I don't care for Vita, but I love the 3DS. I currently own 40 retail 3DS games. So this generation, easily, is looking like a Wii U, 3DS, PC, generation for me. I have zero interest, at this time, in the PS4 or XO.

--
So, that's my "story" and stance on video games. I was born in 1981, making me 32 years old. I've been playing games since I was 2 years old, in 1983, meaning that I've officially been gaming for 30 years now. I've seen a lot of changes over the years. And currently, I'm a fan of what Nintendo is doing, and what direction they are going in. I had interest in other companies, but my interest in them is getting less and less, with what they are doing, or have done. Nintendo, for me, went down for a while, but are definitely on the upswing. I'm definitely enjoying them right now far more than everybody else. However, believe it or not, I am into movies way, way, more than I am into video games.

I do apologize tho. I just realized how long this post is. Sorry about that. I just started typing and kept going. If you want to know anything else, feel free to ask. Tho I'm sure I'll get around to different subjects here and there, throughout this site.

With that said, hope to see you all around. I look forward to having fun here, and getting to interact with everybody here. The more the merrier, I say. In the meantime, have fun, and happy gaming.

I'd probably disagree with your preference rankings and re-shuffle things a bit (especially in the NES and GameCube generations), but overall we have a lot in common when it comes to games. I am also a huge Nintendo fan, but have never "hated" the other platforms. Played plenty of Genesis back in the day, and today I am spending plenty of time playing PS3 games at my friends houses. I do believe that the quality control in Nintendo's first-party games is pretty much unmatched, but I'll play anything that comes my way.

Welcome to the forum. It's a pretty friendly place, and many people here are very competent about gaming issues. There are also a few industry big shots lurking around, and they listen to fan feedback. You should have fun here.

Thanks. I'm glad to be here. I look forward to having a good time here. And yeah, I'll play just about anything. I even used to have those Tiger Electronics and Konami handheld systems that I'd play. I have a lot of favorite games across a lot of different platforms. In fact, at different times, I like one one brand more than others. It varies, depending on the times. But I find that Nintendo is at least more consistent with what they do. For me, the others seem to fluctuate up and down. However, there are still things that I like on them, and I still play them with friends too. I don't see the point in sticking to only one thing, as then you'll end up missing out on other things. The more the merrier, I say. Besides, competition is good. Currently, the way I see it, Nintendo drives the industry forward, while Sony and Microsoft help to lift it up. That is, Sony and Microsoft help make it bigger and more powerful, to do more with what you have. While Nintendo creates new things, to help keep the industry fresh and new, and not grow stale. So it works to have both way. Nintendo could survive on their own, if they end up as the only company left, as they'd keep evolving with the times. But Sony and Microsoft could only last so long, because they would only keep adding more power to things, but they'd still end up doing more of the same each time. Sooner or later, that has it's limitations. Tho they would then need the 3rd parties to help them out. But either way, having competition is good. Besides, who knows, I may end up liking the Xbox One the most this generation. It's possible. Unlikely, but possible. That's why I don't limit myself to one thing. I play them all, see what I like, and go from there. But even when I find what I like, I still go back and forth between the systems.

But yeah, again, I'm glad to be here. Always looking forward to meeting new people and having fun conversations about things I enjoy. Hope to see you around. In the meantime, have fun out there, and happy gaming.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back