Is there more to Nintendogs than voice training your dog?

lindbergh

From
Law Office
Playing
Nintendo DS
I was prepared to love Nintendogs. The puppies are so cute and I'm even able to pet them and scratch their bellies. But aside from that, there's this tedious part wherein you have to teach the dog its name by saying it out on the mic. After that, I must teach the dog to sit. Sheesh. Isn't there anything else to do in Nintendogs aside from teaching a dog this or that using a mic?

P.S. Sorry, I'm just new to the DS

I've never played a Nintendogs game. However, "petting", "scratching", "bathing", "playing", and perhaps "feeding" the dogs all that I would imagine that you do in the game. Perhaps teach it some new tricks here and there. But I can't say for sure, as I've never played it. I just always pictured it as a persistent "pet", that you always have to play to take care of. Kind of like the Seaman game, on the Sega Dreamcast. Of course, if you happened to kill your fish/man being thing, you could just change the system clock backwards in time to 'resurrect' your pet, and then play from there. I always pictured that all the the Nintendogs games were. Like a digital pet that you constantly have to take care of. So I never bothered with it.

Good luck tho. Sorry that I can't help you. But I'm pretty sure that what you are doing is all that there is to do in that game. Perhaps somebody else here knows more, and can help you out. Again, good luck.

Nintendogs sold a gazillion copies, both in the U.S. and Japan. The difference between Seaman vs Nintendogs (and Nintencats) is obviously the realism. Nintendo did a great job with recreating realistic-looking puppies on the DS. Touch interaction also helps you "feel" your puppy. All of these factors (and the novelty of these games) pretty much explain a perfect 40 (10/10/10/10) score from the Japanese video game magazine Famitsu and very high scores from Western magazines. The perfect Famitsu score fed fanboy arguments for years to come, because every time a game would be rated less than 40, someone would say the magical troll phrase "So basically this is worse than Nintendogs."

The point of these games is basically to teach you how to take care of a pet, which includes grooming, feeding, and most importantly, gaining the trust of your pet. So the longer time you spend with your puppy and the better you take care of him, the more it will listen to you. Nintendogs is probably an OK toy for a kid who really wants a real puppy and can't have one. :)

Hmm yeah, thanks for your insights dudes. I'm still just skin deep into the game and stopped after about 45 minutes in. I've not yet encoutered any feeding and bathing the dog/puppy though. The first task that the game told me to do was to input the name and teach the pup to respond when I call his name. I did that. Next was that it instructed me to teach the dog to sit. I did that using touch controls. Then it told me to teach the dog to sit using the mic. Sheesh. It took me forever to do that and still the pup won't respond. I'm stuck.

I don't remember which Nintendogs I played, but in the version that I did play, which I'm pretty sure was the original, there were a bunch of contests you could do. While I think some involved your mic, I don't think all of them did.

There is so much more man! You can feed your pets, clean them, buy new houses and even go on walks. My favourite thing to do was meet my dog up with my friends using Nintendo connect. What a fun game.

It's hard to call Ninten-dogs a game, really. It's much like an advanced version of a Gigapet (if you remember those guys). Just a digital way to stop your child from asking you for a dog that they would eventually have killed be it YOU didn't feed, clean, walk, & ultimately own the thing.

Latest threads

Back