Lets talk Wii U Hardware!

Hertihej

How do you think the hardware on Wii U will hold on the long run? Nintendo is known for not releasing all details about what is in their box. Wii U is the first Nintendo console to support full HD 1080p, and the current games that are out do look quite good. But if we compare the Wii U games to last gen console games on the 360 and PS3, there really is not all that big of a difference. And this really worries me because it would be a shame if Nintendo keeps up with their lastgen philosophy.

On the other hand it is unfair to compare the release games with games that got released on a console that has been out for a long time. This excuse however was also used on Wii for the first year, and it really didn't get all that much better.

Are you worried about WiiU not having good enough hardware to last 3-5 years? Or are you confident that Nintendo will not disappoint us?

I think historically Nintendo graphics have been a lil behind on all their consoles including the game boy . However it has never really been the graphical advancements that have made Nintendo successful IMO. It has been the playability and fun aspects if their games that have kept them in the game ( literally )!

While the Wii U's graphic processing capabilities seems to put it rather squarely in the realm of more modern console's range, I think the unique capabilities opened up with the controller are going to more than make up for any visual short comings when compared to the more powerful PS4 and supposedly likewise "NextBox". If rumors about the NextBox's design specs are true, we may be looking at a generation of consoles where cross platform 3rd party titles are going to play a very small role anyway. Each of the hardware builds seem to be fairly different from the next which is going to make it difficult to get that killer app on any two systems. 1st party titles and 3rd party exclusive are going to define this generation, and Nintendo is WELL situated to be a fierce competitor in that sense. Nintendo is the 1st party king. Ever single console, it's Mario, Zelda, and Metroid selling hardware.

THe point I'm getting at is that, with graphic processing nearing the bleeding edge of resolution our eyes can detect, the focus of the market is going to have to switch from "look at how powerful my new hardware is" to "look at how innovative my 1st party titles are" over time. I suspect this will be the first generation that trend comes to the forefront.

I think once developers unlock the true potential of next-generation consoles. I can see the WIi-U coming up short. If history is to repeat itself, it will be in last place to the PS4 and new Xbox. Depending on the specs and how developers use them on both platforms, the Wii-U can really suffer big time this upcoming gen. Being the first out the door wasn't a very smart move on Nintendo's part. The Wii U isn't selling well and really hasn't done much in terms of pumping out good new IP's. The only games I'd personally buy a WIi-U for is Monster Hunter and Zombii-U. I've yet to see another Wii-U exclusive title to interest me other then Mario Bros. While I have a handful of PS4 titles i'm already interested in picking up as soon as I get my hands on a console.

Smokey said:
I think once developers unlock the true potential of next-generation consoles. I can see the WIi-U coming up short. If history is to repeat itself, it will be in last place to the PS4 and new Xbox. Depending on the specs and how developers use them on both platforms, the Wii-U can really suffer big time this upcoming gen. Being the first out the door wasn't a very smart move on Nintendo's part. The Wii U isn't selling well and really hasn't done much in terms of pumping out good new IP's. The only games I'd personally buy a WIi-U for is Monster Hunter and Zombii-U. I've yet to see another Wii-U exclusive title to interest me other then Mario Bros. While I have a handful of PS4 titles i'm already interested in picking up as soon as I get my hands on a console.
I'm not sure where you get that statement about history repeating itself. In terms of sales, the Wii gave both Microsoft and Sony a proper trouncing. As of last year, the Wii sold 99 million units compared to Microsoft and Sony at 74 and 73 million units. Furthermore, Nintendo bucked long standing industry trends of selling hardware at a loss to be made up in back end software sales. None of those figures take into account the fact that Sony had to throw a ton of money at their cloud system to fix what we came to realize were obvious security weaknesses. It also doesn't acocunt fr the fact that Microsoft's gaming division nearly bled out trying to support the busted first few runs of the Xbox360.

Being first out the door with a console that was not technologically progressive made Nintendo wealthy beyond belief!

Baring in mind, I'm a fan of Nintendo but not a fanboy, I own and love all three of this gen's consoles, I would argue that the Wii U is set up to have a phenomenal run. I fully grant that the NextBox's hardware config is purely speculation at this point. But the rumors from gaming media were pretty spot on for both "leaks" of Wii U and PS4 builds. If the rumors about Nextbox pan out the same way, we are looking at a very different video game market this gen. The three consoles are going to be so different in hardware configuration that I don't think we're going to see th elifeblood, multi console ported titles sustaining the industry like it used to. The ability to support the games, that competing systems do, was a major selling point, and a point of great contention over several generations in console gaming. But with such radically different machines coming out this gen, it's all going to be about 3rd party exclusives and 1st party titles. Nintendo is the unchallenged king of 1st party gaming. Sony has a developing 1st party program but it's no where near as robust and Xbox is a waste land as far as that's concerned. Both Sony and Microsoft are now running a race on Nintendo's home field and they have a huge amount of catch up to do. That's not to say they can't do it, but Nintendo has the clear advantage of having a ton of in place, readily marketable franchises to push out, even with a complete lack of 3rd party exclusives.

This is Nintendo's advantage, heads and tails above the rest. This kind of environment has been known to sink brands. It's also this kind of environment that has been known to spur great competition from dedicated companies.

Nintendo has never been about the graphics and hardware, and I think that is what I appreciate about them the most, is that they really do pay a lot more attention to the gameplay more than anything else. I think the hardware will hold up, at least for its intended purpose. If I were to nitpick, the only complaint I'd have is that all the games are starting to feel the same and I just wish they'd come out with new games that have impact and not just rely on the old titles.

The difference in comparison to the wii u's hardware and that of the xbox360/ps3 is mainly the processors speed and ram. The games will/do appear more smoother with less lag, and because the GPU is akin to a customized radeon 5 series; the graphics will be slightly more refined and detailed. A few more polys/shades/textures, etc. with more power to push them.

The wii u games do look amazing, not amazing like XO/ps4, but amazing for current gen saturation.

As for the 8th gen systems, I think XO will win as they won the last rounds for games and innovation. The whole no-hands approach to gaming is superior as far as I am concerned. Being able to change channels, turn stuff on and play games with your voice or body with out a remote is the next step in the evolution of entertainment. If there wasn't a latency issue with the 360 Kinect it would have sold like crazy. the XO will not have this problem and I think this is what Microsoft is prioritizing the new system for.

For the price and performance I really like the wii u, I just wish it would have been released in late 2010 or early 2011.

I will admit I have bought every Nintendo console since it's inception, but I skipped the wii due to it's hardware specs. The graphics for the generation are appalling to say the least.

The thing to bear in mind with Nintendo hardware is that they aren't attempting to emulate PCs.

The best way to imagine it is that PCs are way ahead in terms of power. They're the best, without a doubt. Sony and Microsoft see this, and like it - but they can't get that much power without costing a fortune. So, they put as much power into the consoles as they dare, and settle for being 'second'.

Nintendo on the other hand don't care. They let Microsoft and Sony play their games. They just want to make fun games, and make them relatively affordable.

Is the Wii U futureproof? As much as the PS4 and Xbox One will be at least. They're already outclassed by PCs, so if you're only looking for power, you've made a mistake buying a console. Consoles are for convenience and for exclusives, and Nintendo know what they're doing when it comes to exclusives.

Latest threads

Back