My idea for a Zelda game

Lawnachaun

From
California
Playing
Wii U
The Legend of Zelda has always been my favorite franchise, over the years. And my brother, who also likes the series, tho it's not his favorite franchise, asked me to write a story for it one day. He loved the story, but didn't want to wait for the next game to come out. So he wanted me to write a story, so that he could read it. He didn't want to write it himself, because he wanted the surprise of reading it for the first time. And writing it yourself wouldn't give him the surprise of not knowing what's going to happen next. At the time, I didn't want to. But over time, the idea was stuck in my head, and eventually, I ended up thinking of a story that I would do with the game, if I were in charge of a single game in the franchise. I never wrote it down, it's all in my head. But over time, I would add, remove, or change things, here and there. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

As the story/game goes....

I wanted a game that mixed things up a bit. I decided that I wanted a game that was a sequel to a previous title. Originally, I wanted it to be a sequel to A Link to the Past. But then, Link's Awakening was considered by a lot of people to be a sequel to A Link to the Past. So I later changed it to a sequel to a non-existent game. I figured, everybody already knows that basic story to any Zelda game. So it can be a sequel to any generic Zelda game. The reason for this was that I wanted to start the game off with Link already the hero. I wanted him to start the game off with all of his equipment already. Which is why I wanted it to be a sequel to a previous game. I wanted him to already have his gear, already have saved the Princess and Hyrule, and have the people of Hyrule already consider him their greatest hero. I figured, he's always somebody who doesn't know that he's supposed to be a great hero, and then is always on a journey to become the hero. So I wanted to mix it up a bit, and start it off with him already the hero. He's already saved the day, as it were.

So, with that said, the game would start with a peaceful day. Link is the Hero, loved by all in Hyrule, and living in the castle or on the castles grounds (or within it's borders, or whatever). Hyrule has already been rebuilt, and peace reigns over the land. All is wonderful. However, one day, this older lady (not elderly, just older) shows up at the castle, and begs for help. She tells the Princess that her lands (in a far, far off distant place), is being ravaged, and her people killed or turned into slaves. That they are down to their last hope, as they had heard about Link's previous conquest and heroics. So she was able to escape, and have come to beg for help from the mighty Link. The Princess, Link, and the others, aren't sure what to make of this plea, as they don't really know who this person is, nor do they know much about the distant land, which is completely foreign to them, and, they don't know anything about those "ravaging" this far off place. They don't know what they are up against. All they have to go on is the word of this person who they have never met. While they deliberate, this person pleads for help, and begs the Princess and Link to help them.

Eventually, the Princess decides to send Link, and a small army, off to this land, to scout out what's going on. The lady warns of giant creatures and all kinds of other dangers. So Link and company get ready, and then get on their horses, and head off to this far, far off land. At this point, I have debated, over and over, whether to have the lady go with Link and company, or have the Princess make her stay at the castle. That's still up in the air. I figure, she'll want to go and help her people, but at the same time, the Princess would want her to stay, to rest and heal up, as she'll be visibly worn down from all of the turmoil that she's gone through to survive, escape, and get across the lands. So I'm not 100% sure which way I want to go with that yet.

However, as the story goes (keep in mind, this is all the opening cut scene, we haven't even started playing the game yet)... Link and Company (not sure how many soldiers are going to be sent with Link.. I've debated how big that group should be too).. Anyways, they are all on their horses, traveling down a path that they have never been on, and it's leading towards the bottom of a canyon. Link and Company proceed with caution, as they have never been here, and the entire place looks completely unfamiliar to them. They don't know exactly how much farther they have to go, but they know that they have already gone past the point of no return. So they creep forward. However, that's when the ground starts to rumble. So they stop, as they have no idea what's going on. But that's when this big, spider-like creature comes crawling over the canyon wall, and heading towards Link and Company. Then, just then, that's when a rival army comes out from the same direction as the spider-like creature, and rushes towards Link and Company. There's a battle, and Link, who is able to hold his own again this army (as he has all of his gear and weapons and what not), get's flung off into a tree in the near distance, by a leg from the spider-like creature. He gets knocked out from the hit. Meanwhile, the rest of his army gets slaughtered by the evil army and spiderlike creature.

Eventually, Link wakes up, and this is where the game actually starts for the player..

You control Link, and you have all of your gear still. But you find your army wiped out, as they were completely ineffective for that battle that just took place. Link debates whether to continue forward or return to Hyrule. However, his horse (as well as all of the other horses), are gone. So Link is on foot. And since he has already past the point of no return, he decides that it's better to just keep going. He's wounded and weary from the battle, so he might not make the trip back to Hyrule to begin with. So he decides to continue forward.

He soon comes up to a small town that has mostly been destroyed. It's just in ruins. As he limps into down, a villager spots him, and brings him inside, to both, rest up and heal, and, to get him out of danger. So Link rests, and regains his health. Upon waking, the villager asks who Link is, and then explains what happened to the village, and how it's mostly a ghost town now, as most people fled. The older lady in Hyrule was right about the attacks. Link realizes that he has to stop this evil army. However, the villager explains to him that their soldiers have tried, and that their weapons weren't that effect. Something that Link realized during his brief fight with them. He was able to hold his own, but he had noticed that not all of his weapons were effect against this new threat. He'll have to either get new weapons, or upgrades for his weapons.

And that's part of the reason why I wanted the game to start with all of your gear from a previous adventure. This way, it skips all of the "tutorial" sections that traditionally come with Zelda games. It gets rid of that whole, you need to find a sword and shield and learn how to use them, type things. And just throws you into the middle of the action from the get go.

So, from here, the real Adventure begins. Link traverses this new, foreign land. So, that means, all brand new areas. All brand new enemies. All brand new items and gear to collect. And, a whole new threat. Let Ganon/Ganondorf have a rest for a while. There will be new areas, and new dungeons, and new bosses. I haven't come up with all of the new weapons/items and/or upgrades, and what not. It's still a work in progress. But you will get Epona back at some point, as the enemies had taken all of the horses earlier. I've debated whether to make the main badguy take control of Epona, and he rides her himself. Or, if you get Epona earlier in the game. Not sure. But knowing that Epona doesn't like anybody to ride her but Link, due to her time at Lon Lon Ranch in Ocarina of TIme... I thought, well, on one hand, Epona would only want Link to ride her. However, on the other hand, maybe the enemy could brainwash or torture her to make her submit to him, and allow him to be her 'master'. And that Link could somehow break the spell, and cause Epona to turn on him, giving Link the upper hand, as Epona returns to Link. Still working on the fine details of that, as one way Link doesn't get Epona back until the very end, so he has to ride a different horse for the game. Or, you'll get Epona earlier in the game. So I'm debating on which route to take on that decision still.

However, at the end, once you've finally defeated this army, and it's leader, and you are now considered a hero in this new land as well, it's time to go home. Link has been away from home for a long time, as he fought off this threat in a far, far, far off distant land. Now, he has all brand new gear, he has Epona back, and it's time to return home. It's a long trip home, but he goes riding off into the sunset...

But...

It's not over yet. See, I want this game to be a full game, up until this point. A long, long, full Zelda experience. However, this is where, "overtime" comes into play. See, when Link finally comes over that last hill, to see his beloved Hyrule, after a long, hard fought battle with this other army, that's when he's horrified to see it destroyed. The land has been ravaged. See, while Link was away, fighting off the far off threat, a group from that threat attacked and took over Hyrule. And that was the master plan. As you find out that the real leader was never in the far off land. He was with an army behind the Death Mountains, waiting for Link and Company to leave Hyrule. And the moment Link and his army were out of sight, they attacked Hyrule. By the time that Link and Company had been attacked originally, during the opening cutscene, Hyrule was already being taken over. The main leader had left his second in command in charge of the army in the far off land. So Link, thinking that he had won, had only taken out Number 2. The main threat had yet to come.

Now, here is another thing that I have debated over. Whether to make it so that Link rushes to the Castle to save the Princess outright, like he would most likely do. Thus, making all of the other areas in Hyrule optional. I figure, I could put items there, like Heart Pieces, or something, not sure yet, and make it so that you could go to the familiar Hyrule places, and collect these things, or just go straight to the castle. Or, should I make it so that these other areas are mandatory, and you won't be able to access the castle until you've defeated things or collected things, in each of the traditional Hyrule areas. So that's a debate I'm still working on too. One way would make it mandatory, so you have to go everywhere. The other way makes it optional, so if you go straight to the end, you won't have everything. Depending on what I'd put in those areas.

However, I was thinking that the areas of Hyrule will have a mix of enemies. It'll have all of the new enemies that you have been fighting in this game, along with the familiar enemies from previous Zelda games. So it'll have the best of both worlds.

Either way, the people of Hyrule will have mixed feelings about you, if you try to go near them or to their places. Some will be happy that Link has finally returned to save them, and they will help you. While others will feel that Link abandoned them, and allowed this evil to take over them, and gain control over everything. They don't believe that you can defeat the enemy or save them. So, depending on who you go to or talk to, you may get help or not. What kind of help, I don't know yet. Maybe a health heart. Just one tho. I don't know.

But, when you get to the castle, it won't be a straight trip to the boss. You'll have to fight your way into it. I was thinking that maybe you could go around the different areas of Hyrule and "recruit" people to help you. Just go to them, talk to them, and those who like that you have returned, will join your cause. But those that feel that you abandoned them, won't help you. This way, when you reach the area where the enemy army is blocking the entrance to the Castle, you could either fight them all at once, by yourself. (not the wisest choice), or, you could call upon those who said that they would help you. And they would come to your aide, and attack the army for you. Allow them to be distracted enough for you to just go straight into the castle, and work your way inside of it.

In the end, you will end up at the castle, fighting the new, main, enemy, 1 on 1, in the Castle. But it should be in an open area, for all to see. Like, the half of the castle is missing, and the main lobby area, or something, is open for all to see. And Link fights the main enemy while the people of Hyrule can be seen taking on the evil army in the background. I want this battle to require the use of several weapons and/or tactics. Something that would be worthy of a 'final fight'. Not just a straight sword fight. Not a hack-n-slash. Not a "follow the pattern" type of fight. Something unique, where you will need the use of multiple things that you've collected along the way. However.. If you lose the fight, it'll show now only you 'dying', similar to other Zelda games. But, it'll show the people of Hyrule dying too. However, if you win, the battle outside will stop. The evil army will stop fighting, as they know that their leader is dead, Link is alive, and they won't know what to do. Now, I'm not sure if you should have a choice on what to do next or not. Does Link let the army go. Does he imprison them. Does he destroy them. Should you have the choice of what option to do. Not sure. That's kind of where I'm at with that.

I've debated on whether or not to make the older lady in cahoots with the enemy. Like, having her sent in on purpose to get Link to leave Hyrule. Or, to have her think that she's actually getting help, and then her not knowing that she's inadvertently getting Link to leave Hyrule, which is exactly what the main enemy wanted, as Link's heroics have reached across the land, and his reputation is well known. I even thought about having the older Lady be in cahoots with the enemy, and then having her capture Princess Zelda. Or to make the lady innocent and just caught up in the middle of everything. So I'm debating on that.

Either way, in the end, when you beat the game. Link and Princess Zelda will be standing in the ruined Castle, overlooking their people. Link will be praised as being the savior, again.

--

In this game, I've removed the traditional tutorial section, and just dropped you straight into the game with all of your traditional gear. So there's no trying to find your starting gear. You already have everything.

However, a lot of it is ineffective against the new enemy and their armor. So you will have to get new items and gear along the way. So the options for your gear and items can be wide open.

Also, the enemies will mostly be different throughout the game, but you will see, and fight, a lot of familiar enemies as well. So you will get to use the old and new weapons throughout the game.

The bosses will all be new. But I want at least one of them to be really tall. Like a giant. Not sure what yet tho. But something. But each boss will be somewhat related to the all new areas in the game. I'm thinking maybe a swamp area, where walking is slowed down. Kind of like Zelda 2, only with a modern take on it. And some other areas too. Still working on the details of the areas. I've focused mainly on the overall story, and not all of the fine details.

-----
But yeah, that's basically my idea for a Zelda game. What are your thoughts on it.

I just wanted to mix it up a bit. It won't have the "find your sword and shield" tutorial section, you'll start off with all of your traditions gear. Sword, Shield, Bow & Arrow, Boomerang, Bombs, etc.etc. But you will get a bunch of new items too. Also, it'll be the "same" exact Link as a previous adventure, so everybody already knows he is the Hero, and savior.. instead of him learning to become the Hero. Plus, with this taking place in a far, far, far off land, that opens its up to all kinds of new places and enviroments. Yet, Hyrule is still there, so it just expands on the Zelda Universe. But yeah, that's my idea for a Zelda game.

I support the idea of Link beginning the game as an established hero. I think that's an opportunity to make gameplay deeper and skip the tutorials which are usually kind of irritating because they get dragged out for a third of the game.

However, I don't see enough "legend" in this script. It reads like a story from a straight-up war game, like Fire Emblem or Super Robot Taisen. So it would require more Zelda magic to make this a game in a true Zelda spirit.

Yeah, I felt that the tutorial parts tend to drag on too long too.

As for the "Legend" part, well, like I said, I haven't fleshed out any of the details on it. But there could be something incorporated into the main body of game, while he's in the far off land. Like, for example, Link's Awakening didn't take place in Hyrule, but it still managed to capture the magic. The "evil army" could be treated like those from A Link to the Past, with the guards here and there. And if they spot you, they'll charge after you. With monster's spread out everywhere as well. And since it's basically an army that's your taking on, there would be a lot more "guards" around in area's where you wouldn't normally expect to see them. But they'd be mixed in with the creatures. So, the gameplay would still play out more like a Zelda game. Just, with more 'guards' roaming around, that happen to make up the army. Then, there's the 'Spirit" of the game, which can also be attributed to other games in the franchise. There doesn't need to be a prophecy or anything like that, that Link needs to fulfill. His "Legend" could have already proceeded him. See, everybody in that land has already heard of him. They already know the story of the "Legendary" Link. Which is why they sought after him to begin. So when he runs into people in the far off land, they will know that the "legendary tales" were true.

However, this new land could have it's own backstory. It could have it's own legend. Perhaps Link could uncover another this legend along the way. Perhaps he recognizes that he needs to solve the mystery of the legend, in order to unlock some being or entity or goddess or something, in order to "defeat" the enemy or destroy it's armor, in order to conquer it. And then, use that, and the other items, to defeat the main boss, later on.

Like I said, it's still a work in progress. Just an idea. I know it's not perfect, and it's incomplete, and there are lots of details missing. But, that's why you share. Get some feedback. Some new ideas or takes on it. Things like that. So thanks for the feedback. I do see what you are saying with the Legend and Spirit of it. And Zelda is herself is vastly under used. Have to figure out a way to get her more involved into the story. Her role is always seeming to get bigger and bigger into every now story, it seems. So she would need to have a bigger role. Unless, of course, you think of it more as Link's Awakening, and add another female character in the far off land. And treat her as a Zelda type character. Tho not royalty. Similar to Link's Awakening. But, there is a lot of potential in the main body of the game, in the far off land. That part is where almost anything could happen. So a new legend or background story or something like could be added there, to help flesh out the spirit of the game.

But thanks again.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back