NX VR - Will it save Nintendo?

joshposh

Banned
Playing
Virtual Boy
I read an article that VR might be on the horizon for Nintendo. But that is on the same playing field as the NX using cartridges again. Could be all BS, but you never know.

Sine Sony has already a working platform and Microsoft now reportedly will do VR because of the extra teraflops that the Scorpio can process. What about Nintendo? They don't want to have the superior hardware and rumors of using cartridges again. It really sounds like the don't want to be in the race and is happy to be a small share holder here.

Nintendo will do what Nintendo does. If they think they can pull it off they probably can.

VR seems to be the new buzz word, in the developer community and in a niche of the gamer community.

I'm not convinced it is "prime time" material. From a business standpoint (cost-benefit), or from a "value" to customer standpoint, and i think it is too invasive(as any "wearable" tech) for average consumers. It seems to be only well suited for cockpit games. How many of those does Nintendo or its second parties make? Can Nintendo sell a $400+ console just to be able to support a $400+ peripheral?

Right now there is only ONE title/demo in the entire VR space which I am interested in. Star Wars Battlefront X-Wing mission (is it a whole game or just a single level?). Maybe if Factor5 was still around and still partnered with Nintendo, i'd be wishing for VR support in the NX. :)

Starfox would be a killer app for vr though. Mario Kart would also be good, though they could make F-Zero into a vr exclusive.

And even standard games like Mario and Zelda will work, if only as if you are operating them like a puppet.

I also think Nintendo can bring R.O.B. back and make a launch/example game (like Wii Sports and Nintendo Land were) starring him to show off what vr us capable of. His restricted movement is perfect for using just a controller and sitting down, as the general idea would be like you are remotely piloting a robot to perform specific tasks.

Last edited:
I am sorry, but I think that VR is a bad idea, unless you are a hermit and just want to play single-player or online multiplayer games all of the time. One of the main points of video games is to see your friends next to you and be able to talk and hang out with them while still playing. VR will make you completely immersed in the game! You can't even watch your friend play it if you are with them. I am sorry, but I wouldn't like it at all if Nintendo went down this route. Their games are supposed to be for hanging out with friends and playing with them. VR basically takes that away.

You can't see your friends anyways if you're playing on an Xbox or PlayStation. A Nintendo vr would be no worse.

Sony has had 2 previous VR headsets. One for PS2 and one a few years ago,both failed. The other thing is Sony is notorious for dropping support rather fast. Eyetoy,Wonderbook,Vita,Move,PSEye and more. Vita was spouted it would kill 3DS by some media outlets. lol.

Last edited:
Of all of the companies to incorporate VR into their game development, for some reason I can Nintendo really leading the way here. Also, on that note, Nintendo is the company that I WANT to see take the charge here, but of course that remains yet to be seen and we will have to wait and see what happens. It is certainly interesting to think about, and exciting too of course, so I am curious to see where it goes from here. I will be staying tuned, and thanks for sharing.

VR is a red ocean and a not very thriving one. Like 3D it's a fad that comes in waves every few years hyped as the next big thing but never is. Best Nintendo stays out of VR. Wii and DS were a success as a Blue Ocean strategy. Wii U and 3DS are red ocean devices. VR is limited to what you can make for it and who can play on it. Many people puke playing VR. Nintendo has never made a VR machine. (Virtual Boy despite the name was not VR..it was a Game Boy with 3D..3DS as a non portable) VR is always promised as the future but their is a laundry list why it will never be mainstream.

I wouldn't hold my breath, on the flip side, VR is not just some little thing that will get tossed aside this time like it was for virtual boy back in the day. This is the real deal, I've tried the demo versions, I tried the consumer version of the HTC Vive at a friends house, and believe me, this thing will blow you away. It's honestly going to revolutionize gaming, even Sony has their Playstation VR launching soon. 10 years from now -- I can't even imagine where we'll be at.

I think that VR is going to be the next big thing. Who ever can pull it off and actually make games that people will buy will dominate the market. This is the next step and even though playstation has put some things forward nothing that you can sink you teeth in. If Nintendo gets there first it will be the reference like it was before.

I wouldn't hold my breath, on the flip side, VR is not just some little thing that will get tossed aside this time like it was for virtual boy back in the day. This is the real deal, I've tried the demo versions, I tried the consumer version of the HTC Vive at a friends house, and believe me, this thing will blow you away. It's honestly going to revolutionize gaming, even Sony has their Playstation VR launching soon. 10 years from now -- I can't even imagine where we'll be at.

Well you really have no idea how much I hope you are right here. I am needing something new like this to really spark my interest, because I just cannot help but notice that my gaming is getting a little stagnant. It is a little bit of my own doing, just given the fact that life seems to get in the way quite often, but also I think there is a little stagnation with the games. Pokemon Go! and No Man's Sky were a nice little shakeup, but I think that this has a lot more potential. Very interesting, and thank you for sharing.

Latest threads

Back