Pokken Tournament!

Which Pokemon do you want to battle with first?

• Pikachu/Luchachu

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Lucario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suicune

• Machamp

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Gardevior

• Gengar

• Charizard

• Weavile

• Blaziken

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Other (Sceptile, Chandelure, Braixen, Garchomp, Mewtwo, etc)

• Total voters

ShyGuy16

From
Virginia
Playing
Super NES
So the big Pokemon and Tekken crossover releases on Friday! Did anyone preorder it yet? I'ma go down to the store tomorrow and reserve my copy for that Mewtwo amiibo card. I can't wait to take my little brothers on in the ring.

I figured that we needed a good Pokken Tournament thread here. Any opinions on fighters, gameplay, DLC, etc? And with the Zelda/Dynasty Warriors 3DS expansion and this new Pokemon/Tekken combo ready to ship out, what's the next crazy Nintendo crossover on the horizon?

Machamp is my favorite barnone. Especially since his pokedex data places him as the physically strongest of all time. Able to push a mountain with ONE of his four arms and his belt actually restricts his power. Gengar comes as a close second for me, it looks like he'll be tons of fun.

I just picked up the game today. I think it's definitely quite a bit of fun I'm just shocked how pixelated the graphics are (and I'm not someone who usually cares that much about graphics) it's not a deal breaker by any means but it's more noticeable than any other game I've played on my new TV. (I've been playing a whole lot of Super Mario 3D World and that looks absolutely stunning in 1080p).

^Yeah, I noticed that too even by just watching YouTube gameplay videos. At first I thought it was the uploader's problem but it was not. I don't understand why, because as you've said, there are games which look absolutely beautiful on the Wii U. Smash Bros at 1080p looks great and the Wii U handles it fine. Mario Kart 8 have amazing graphics and is fast-paced enough to cause motion blur but the Wii U also handles it fine.

Apparently the reason why is because the game's resolution is sub 720p. I noticed it looks like that even on a 720p HDTV.

Ohh, that's why. So Nintendo has to lower its native resolution to maintain the 60 fps framerate? Pokken doesn't seem as graphics intensive as Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart. Oh well, I guess the Wii U's lack of power is really showing.

I have a theory that the game is actually CPU limited, not limited graphically, and that they're just trying to fix it somehow by lowering resolution, to increase available memory bandwidth to the CPU or something like that.

Not sure if my theory holds water.

Last edited:
Ohh, that's why. So Nintendo has to lower its native resolution to maintain the 60 fps framerate? Pokken doesn't seem as graphics intensive as Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart. Oh well, I guess the Wii U's lack of power is really showing.

Actually, it only runs 30 FPS in multiplayer. I think it's 60 in single player, though.

I only wish two things regarding this game. The first is that you could play as shuckle. The second is that I had a WiiU to play it on XD.

I actually just now tried the demo. *embarrassed* The game plays faster and less clunky than I thought it would.

^ Harada is base. He knows how fighting games work better than Ono. Pokken is pretty great and pretty in depth mechanically. It's literally the only Pokemon game I ever played.
I am willing to bet we get more Namco support on NX. Maybe even some Tekken 7

Latest threads

Back