Possible speaker issue GBA SP

SneakyFoxxo

Playing
Game Boy Advance SP
Hello! New here.

I have had my GBA SP for a very long time, and I've noticed that my unit seems to be having an issue with audio. I can hear the audio fine, but there is an electrical hum. When using a headphone adapter, I can hear the same static. It's not TV -like static, its more of an interference like a guitar humming when plugged into a noisy power source. That leads me to believe that there might be some sort of cross talk or grounding issue. A few things to clarify:
  • I have been inside the SP before, and it's totally possible that I may have minimally damaged the speaker
  • The model is AGS-001
  • All of the tests were done on battery, not plugged into the wall
  • The issue persists between the GB mode & GBA
  • The different modes produce different results
    • GBA frequency changes when the backlight is toggled, somewhat lower frequency when backlight is off
    • GB is generally higher pitch and does NOT change when the backlight is toggled
  • There is a constant low droning electrical noise that is consistent between the modes, with or without headphones
  • Connecting to a speaker system produced the same results, but the speakers need to be turned way up to hear the noise
A few questions come to mind:
  • Is this normal?
  • Is this a defect that happens over time, or were they like this from the factory?
  • Is there anything I can do to mitigate or eliminate the noise?
  • How likely is it that I'm going to have to replace the speaker?

Latest threads

Back