Purchase Wii U now or wait for Christmas?

raidermax

Playing
3DS
First off, Im not a big gamer. I play mostly on PC and I rarely buy games (if any they are $10). This year the only games I plan to purchase (excluding Wii U/games from wii u) is Pokemon X and AC4 (I actually get that game as a gift). The way I see it, theres no point for me to buy a new console such as the xbox one or ps4 because I have my PC which can play almost all of the games for those consoles except for exclusives. The reason I want the Wii U is simply for Legend of Zelda games (WW, and that new one thats still in making) and possibly one mario kart. And thats probably it...nothing else. Right now there is a bundle and price cut, I cant decide whether to get it now because of the bundle/price cut or wait for the holidays for another price cut (if there will be) or not to buy it all. What do you guys think? The Wii U for me is solely only for those couple of exclusives, PC will still become my main platform.

Quick Question
How long will the WW Wii U bundle last? (forever)
Will there even be another price cut for the holidays?

The Wind Waker bundle will definitely not last forever. If Wind Waker is one of the few reasons you want a Wii U, then buying now is a no brainer.

Nintendo has not announced any price cuts, but even if they do, you will not save much money because Wind Waker will still cost you $50 separately.

The fact that most of the games that are coming out on the XO or PS4 are games that I'd rather play on the PC instead of the XO PS4, or, would rather have on the Wii U, means I have no intentions on getting an XO or PS4 anytime soon. In fact, I won't even think about getting either an XO or PS4 until around November 2014, at the earliest. Hopefully, they'll have something good to offer for me by then. If not, I can live without them. The Wii U, 3DS, and PC combo seems the way to go, for me. The PS4 and XO just don't do anything for me. It's all just "more of the same". Sure, they "look pretty", they just don't do anything for me. I feel like I would be bored on them. I need something 'more'.

That said, let's answer your question/s.

OK, now, knowing Nintendo, I can guarantee you that the Wind Waker HD / Wii U bundle will not last forever. It'll last a while, but once it's gone, it's gone. I mean, it'll be around for a while. But once it sells out, or once a certain amount of time has passed, it'll be gone. How long until it's gone is the real question. So, if you really want to get the Wind Waker HD bundle, I suggest the sooner the better. There's still plenty of time tho, as I'm sure they'll be fully stocked throughout the holidays. Still, if you are waiting for another price cut before you pick it up, then I can also guarantee you that that won't happen. It won't. Nintendo just lowered the price of the Wii U. They just knocked off $50 not even a month ago. There is absolutely, 100%, no way, that they are going to lower the price again any time soon. They might make another bundle, but in no way will they lower the cost again in the near future. Maybe next Christmas. But not before then. And that's "if" they decide to lower it then. I think that all depends on how the sales numbers are between now and Summer, as they have a bunch of titles coming out in Spring of 2014 too. So they'll let those carry the Wii U into the end of Summer at least. If sales don't pick up by then, then yeah, expect to see another price cut by next Christmas holiday. But if the sales are decent or better, don't expect another price cut for a while. Especially with then just cutting the price about 3 weeks ago. So, again, if you are waiting for another price cut this year, don't. It won't happen. It just won't. I guarantee it. They aren't going to lower the price twice in just a couple of months. It won't happen.

However, if you want to buy the Wind Waker HD with Ganondorf Statue bundle, then you can still get the Wii U separately. However, we may actually see more bundles besides the Zelda bundle. See, other countries have gotten other bundles, and so, we may actually get 1 or two of those too. Here is a list of the other Wii U bundles out there, both here, and from different countries around the world (either out now, or this holiday season)...

Wii U with NintendoLand
Wii U with The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Wii U with ZombiU
Wii U with Pikmin 3
Wii U with New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U
Wii U with Wii Party U + NintendoLand
Wii U with Just Dance 2014 + NintendoLand
WIi U with Wii Fit U + New Super Mario Bros. U + Wii Party U
Wii U with Wii Fit U + New Super Mario Bros. U
plus...
I'm sure you can find some "special bundles" on other retailer sites, where they will add in other games of their choice with the system. Places like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Amazon, etc.etc... So, you can always keep an eye out for another bundle, if something else catches your eye, and/or, if you wanted to get the Gandondorf statue with just the game by itself.

Also, here is a list of retail exclusives that are either out already, will be out by this holiday, or, that we know will be out next year (just retail, this list doesn't include the eShop or Virtual Console games, or this would be too long)...

Game Party Champions - by Warner Bros. Interactive
New Super Mario Bros. U - by Nintendo
NintendoLand - by Nintendo
Rabbids Land - by Ubisoft
SiNG PARTY - by Nintendo
ESPN Sports Connection - by Ubisoft
Tank! Tank! Tank! - by Namco Bandai Games
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 - by Ubisoft
ZombiU - by Ubisoft
Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade - by Art Co. Ltd / D3 Publisher
Rapala Pro Bass Fishing - by Activision
Lego City Undercover - by TT Fusion / Nintendo
Game & Wario - by Nintendo
Pikmin 3 - by Nintendo
New Super Luigi U -by Nintendo
The Wonderful 101 - by Platinum Games
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - by Nintendo
Wii Party U - by Nintendo
Sonic Lost World - by Sega
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games - by Sega / Nintendo
Super Mario 3D World - by Nintendo
Wii Fit U - by Nintendo
Bayonetta 2 - by Platinum Games / Nintendo
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - by Nintendo
"X" - by Monolith Soft
Yarn Yoshi - by Nintendo
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - by Retro Studios / Nintendo
Mario Kart 8 - by Nintendo
Shin Megami X Fire Emblem - by Atlus Intelligent Systems / Nintendo
"The Legend of Zelda: Wii U" - by Nintendo

However, the Wii U already has some good 3rd party multiplatform games already, however, it is also getting some more good 3rd party multiplatform games as well. Games like...

Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Batman: Arkham Origins
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Watch Dogs
Project Cars

Also, there are tons and tons and tons of eShop games in the works too. There's a good selection already out on the Wii U, but more and more indie companies are quickly jumping on the Wii U, and making more and more games for it. So the eShop is going to have an abundance of games before long. And who knows, you may find some that you really love, and can get into. Sure, some may be exclusive, and some may be out for everything. But still, the list will be long either way.

--
So, to answer your question... the Wind Waker bundle won't last forever. It'll end at some point. When, is anybody's guess. But it won't be forever. Also, there will not (and I can guarantee you that), will not be another price cut by Nintendo any time soon. Of course, you might find some retailers that may lower the price on their own, from which you could find a better deal. However, there will not be another price cut by Nintendo until at least the end of Summer or beginning of Fall of next year. Most likely by the middle of Fall, at the earliest, if at all. But don't count on it. Not with all of the content that the Wii U is getting between now and then.

Do I recommend that you get the Wii U... absolutely. I whole heartedly recommend it. I'm having a blast on it. I currently have 34 Wii U retail games, as well as a bunch of eShop and Virtual Console games, and, I definitely plan on buying about 10 more retail games before the end of the year. Plus, I have a list of games that I want that are coming out for next year as well. Also, I enjoy interacting in Miiverse and TVii as well. Other things exclusive to the Wii U that the PS4 and XO won't have. So, between the Wii U, PC, and 3DS, I'm set, gaming wise. The PS4 and XO don't do anything for me. All of my gaming needs are met by the Wii U, 3DS, and PC, in one way or another. So no PS4/Vita or XO for me.

Hope this helps. Again, I give the 'thumbs up' on "yes, buy a Wii U soon". But again, don't count on another price cut. Unless a retailer voluntarily cuts the price on their own. But Nintendo won't. So.. just find the bundle that works for you, and go with it.

Have fun. And, good luck. Happy gaming.

Thanks for all of the helpful insight. I would go out and buy a Wii U today however I just remembered something. Besides the Ratchet and Clank series, I just remembered that Kingdom hearts 3 will be released for Xbox One/PS4 and not the Wii U. This COULD be a deal breaker with the Wii U but really, I am basically stating I would only purchase the PS4 to play Ratchet and clank and KH3 (or future KH/R&C games) which is good as those are my favorite. If I stick with the Wii U though I would play legend of zelda, Mario 3d world, smash bros. But then I wouldn't have those 2 games the Ps4 has and vice versa.
I could deal with not being able to play R&C but KH is truly my most favorited game. So now I'm stuck with the ps4 and Wii U. Great.

Buy it!! For the following games alone and possibly more in the works; especially now that it supports HD.

Zelda
Mario/luigi games(super Mario 3d world-looks incredible)
Donkey kong country
Metroid
Kirby
Sonics
pikmin

Plus the gamepad is very comfortable and unique.

Then voice your advice/opinions towards Nintendo/3rd party devs to continually make great games for it. At an affordable $200-300 price tag it isn't that expensive and for the casual gaming experience and 1st party support it's a worthy purchase.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back