RPG time!

LALucien

Okay so I'm an rpg fan but have none on the 3DS. I recently played the demo if the newest kingdom hearts and thought it was awesome! But it's still a lil expensive ATM.
So I'm wondering what do you reckon are the best RPGs available for the 3Ds?

Well there's Kingdom Hearts, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate which is more along the lines of an MMORPG similar to Phantasy Star Online. I hear Fire Emblem is good but never personally played that one.

The remake of Ocarina of Time was spectacular. If you're fan of the Zelda series and like me, having played that game to the point I really didn't need to ever play it again, the 3ds port may just be what you need to relive it again. The textures were updated and the 3d play is great! King Dondongo is truly menacing in 3d and the final battle with gannon where you swat his energy attacks back and forth had me bouncing in my seat. It felt a little like the first time, which is not an easy trick to pull with a game so well worn as Ocarina of time.

Bravely Default is great. It's probably not getting localized until next year though. If you enjoyed Final Fantasy III on the ds then you'll probably want to look out for it once it comes out outside of Japan.

RPGs are one of my favorite genres and I think 3DS has one of the better selections right now (hopefully in time it'll have as many as the DS). Not including DS games, which there are a ton of good RPGs, I can really reccommend Etrian Odyssey IV and Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers. These games have similar old school RPG gameplay, where you crawl dungeons at a first person point of view and then there are random turn-based battles. I would reccommend watching gameplay videos to see if these types of games interest you! If you like strategy RPGs more, I would recommend Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked and Fire Emblem, as they have similar gameplay and are both very fun. Tales of the Abyss is also a very fun port of a PS2 game so it's probably worth looking at if you haven't played the original. And last but not least, Shin Megami Tensei IV is due to come out in July, and should be a great game. Hope I helped you find some RPGs to play, and if not I can definitely try and list a bunch of RPGs on the original DS which you could play too since the 3DS is backwards compatible!

Smokey said:
Well there's Kingdom Hearts, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate which is more along the lines of an MMORPG similar to Phantasy Star Online. I hear Fire Emblem is good but never personally played that one.
Yeah, I hear a lot about Fire Emblem on a lot of forums but, have never played it myself.
Well, I picked up the new Kingdom Hearts and I AM BLOWN AWAY!

It is 100% better than 1 & 2 on the PS2 and anything that came out on the Advance for sure.
The battling is intense and you can get these little creatures to use as special powers, and you can pretty much fly!
It is awesome!
Highly recommend it :)

You have a few options really, depending on what you're in the mood for:

For a traditional long campaign RPG, you have Tales of the Abyss.

For a Diablo-like dungeon crawler hack/slash/loot, you have Heroes of Ruin.

For a rogue-like dungeon crawler, you have Etrian Odyssey 4.

For tactical RPGs, you have Fire Emblem: Awakening, Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers, Project X Zone, and Shin Megami Tensei 4.

For your MMO-like, you have Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

So you have some variety, and don't forget you have a few more titles to look forward to this holiday season, as well as the ability to leverage the large DS library.

Latest threads

Back