Saddest video game endings? [SPOILERS]

2MooglesGaming

Website
www.youtube.com
Playing
Super NES
I think we can all agree here that video games can be considered works of art on par with movies, books and TV shows. Some games have such amazingly well crafted stories that culminate in the most beautifully sad endings, they deserve awards.

So, what games do you think have the saddest endings?

We talk about five of our favorite in our new video here:

I will just say none of the games on that list I really felt was a sad ending. Most of the games on the list I felt had more annoying or stupid endings that made playing the game almost pointless.

I cannot really remember a game that actually had a sad ending but Mass Effect 3 had some of the saddest and tear jerkier moments I have ever had playing a video game, ending was terrible not sad though.

Should this thread start with a spoiler alert or is it just that after a certain period of time if you haven't watched/played/read something it's fair game? I thought Red Dead had a super depressing ending. Well, sort of ending.

Of course, I cried during the Kingdom Hearts ending. It was so sad... Riku was trapped in darkness, Kairi and Sora pretty much had to say good-bye never knowing when they would meet next, and then there was that special ending with an Organization 13 character. yep--I cried.

I also got teary over Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core. Zack and Arieth's relationship was so beautiful and Zack... T.T words could not describe how I felt about his death.

Kingdom Hearts games tend to get me, but Klonoa and A Boy and His Blob(wii). I don't want to ruin it but i will if need be

FFX. Playing the game, the entire storyline hinted at Tidus and Yuna getting together or they finally found the one for each other - and then he is just a dream from a previous age, brought force by mankind's "Sin" on the world. It was a beautiful take on a love story and a classy ending to boot. I didn't see that twist coming for certain. I kind of felt like that could have ended it (and I can erase 10-2 from my mind, aside from their MUSIC) and get a proper sequel that didn't feel half-rushed and half-committed

Xenosaga was another good example. I loved the entire thing was like watching an anime and then playing a bit and then watching anime. The ending sequence still left many T_T Yeshua.

FFX. Playing the game, the entire storyline hinted at Tidus and Yuna getting together or they finally found the one for each other - and then he is just a dream from a previous age, brought force by mankind's "Sin" on the world. It was a beautiful take on a love story and a classy ending to boot. I didn't see that twist coming for certain. I kind of felt like that could have ended it (and I can erase 10-2 from my mind, aside from their MUSIC) and get a proper sequel that didn't feel half-rushed and half-committed

Xenosaga was another good example. I loved the entire thing was like watching an anime and then playing a bit and then watching anime. The ending sequence still left many T_T Yeshua.

I agree man! All game long I was hoping Tidus and Yuna would end up together because up till now the hero ( or heroin ) ALWAYS seemed to get the Guy/Girl.

I was waiting at the end with my mouth wide open when I found out that Tidus was a "Dream Of The Faith." Even then I was still hoping somehow they would end up together. The Game draws you into the love side of it, making you want more between them, and then being like Ha! Trolled!

Again agrees with you @Shimus Final Fantasy 10x2 was a horrible follow up game to 10. Do not get me twisted though, I did find a lot of enjoyment in it for a once through though.

I liked it for a once through to revisit Spira though it didn't feel the same, it just felt like they maybe should have used 13-2's plot and messed with 10-2's timeline more or made it about jumping about seeing as Sin and the Dreams of the Faith were just about time anyways. Could have worked well.

I found the 'ending' of Pong incredibly moving. After several hours of sense-numbing paddle twisting, the screen FROZE and my brother and I nearly wept.
;)

Another kind of sad ending if you think about it is Zelda. Link is always saving Zelda just to end up back at square one. Or Mario in that same kind of matter.

I also think Final Fantasy 13 also had kind of a sad ending because of what happens to Vanille and Fang. The game makes you think they are going to be OK. Turning to crystal was kind of a saddening ending once you've played over a 100 hours of it in my opinion.

e5579.jpg

That always makes me cry! But that's not an ending..... so, for endings sake, I shall choose:

Zelda, Skyward Sword actually made me have mantears at this scene:

(Spoiler if you haven't played the game, so don't click - you've been warned!)

The Walking Dead game from Telltale Games. Just like the comic
book series that inspired it, it deals with the ongoing effects of a zombie outbreak, and how people would survive in the harsh realities of a crumbling society. A superb modern re-working of old-school point-and-click mechanics, you’ll regularly need to make game-changing decisions, putting the fates of rounded characters you grow to love in your hands. And the ending of Episode 5? Just heart-breaking.

I'd love to give this a go as I'm a huge fan of the property, but I dunno about the point n' click...ughhh...unfortunately, those always seem to bore me after a bit.

Point and click seems to bore me too, but since the story was engaging and the end sucked no matter which way you chose, Walking Dead did deserve to be up there. Won game of the year for a reason, and it wasn't because it was a point and click. It was more decision based and you felt the repercussions of your prior actions either immediately or down the storyline so each choice influenced the outcome. I like games like that too.

Another Sad Game Ending:

Mass Effect 3. We all came to love Shepard. However, the choice he makes for mankind (and ultimately his destiny) is like NOOOOO COMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMANDDDDERRR!!

The point and click method of the game took a little bit of time to get used to, but once you have it down your golden. The story is just too good for me to not like it. I enjoyed all of the chapters of the game except Episode 2. It was just a little too slow for my liking but all of the other episodes are just fantastic.

Latest threads

Back