SD cards formatting

Motherx3

Playing
Wii U
This may be a dumb question, but do I need to format my 256 Gb SanDisk ultra micro SD card before using it in the switch like I had to for the 64Gb card I used in my new 3dsxl?

Doubtful. Or if you do the Switch will handle it.

What happens when you access a Switch-formatted SD card from Windows or Mac? What file system does the Switch use?

Yeah, you need to format the SD card in FAT32 file system. Can't you do that with Windows Disk Management?

I just popped the brand new sd card into the switch immediately and the switch handled it. No extra formatting needed.

I just popped the brand new sd card into the switch immediately and the switch handled it. No extra formatting needed.
Thanks for pointing this out! (I was literally just thinking about this today!) I remember on the WiiU and the 3DS you had to format any USB drives or disks that were bigger than 32GB, and formatting it to (can't remember if it was FAT16 or FAT32 now). But I did this on both my systems and they worked perfectly even a much higher than the 32GB that those two consoles natively supported. But if the switch doesn't even need this step, and just works straight away like you've said here, that's even better! How many GBs was the SD Card that you used when you did this?

I had a 32gb micro SD in my Samsung tablet. Took it out and tossed it into the Switch.. Looks like it auto-formatted when it asked me to reset the console.

Latest threads

Back