SSD for Wii U

Shane

From
Illinois
I bought a couple Best Buy gift cards at a discount, and I'm getting an external SSD with them for my Wii U:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk...0141.p?id=1219718416386&skuId=4290141&cmp=RMX

The reason why I'm getting it isn't because of delusions of speed, it's because I think it won't need a Y cable because it's a SSD, which would keep one USB free on the Wii U when using the drive, all the while powering the drive steadily (in theory at least)...

Why not something like this? It's a lot more compact and will work for sure. And cheaper at $30. SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive
61_QGF0_DVSOL_SL1500.jpg

And I don't think SSDs are actually that much more power efficient than hard drives... I've been trying to find details though - seems some SSDs can draw up to 1.8a while I think the Wii U outputs 0.9-1.3a

Last edited:
Solid advice. I mean, that 128GB flash drive is a better deal than what I'd thought it'd be. Best Buy wants more for them.

Unfortunately, they processed my order for the SSD at Best Buy, which means I can't cancel it. I should have made this thread before having an order waiting in limbo, for sure.

I guess it isn't too bad of a deal when you figure I got the gift cards for around $20 less, and Amazon would probably charge me like $6 to ship that USB in a reasonable manner since I don't have Prime.

Also, most articles you find on the internet, do say SSDs tend to require less wattage and such than HDDs.

Last edited:
It should be small. If you open up the average 2.5" SSD the chips usually only take up one side and the rest is all plastic.
samsung%20ssd%20850%20evo%20open.png

And you can always return the SSD to a Best Buy store as soon as it arrives - though to be fair I can't imagine them having much else of interest. I ended up using up a Best Buy gift card by buying pillows and a pizza cutter.

I decided I'm not taking something back simply for the reason of saving $20. Too much hassle and then I would have to explain to them and all that.

By the way, it arrived:

Update: It seems to work fine even with one cable. I was playing Mario Kart 8 off of it. Great drive :).

good job @Shane. I went with Seagate Backup Plus 3 TB. I was very concerned with the whole y cable business, but i have not had problem one with this thing. The only thing I've noticed so far is in the main hub in Splatoon, all the other squids come in a little slower. I've noticed nothing else at all.

Funny, when i got my wii u i swore i never ever would need more than 32 GB.

I think everyone thinks that they'll have more than enough storage and we never think that we'll use up what a console comes with but that isn't the case.

These days the games are a lot bigger than they used to be, so being able to connect an external drive to a device, is becoming more and more important than ever.

Mostly with PS4 and Xbox One, because those require you to install every single game to the HDD - and many games weigh in at over 30GB. Wii U can play directly off the disk, and downloaded games are usually a bit smaller.

And if the NX uses cartridges to avoid loading times, then a HDD becomes unneeded again. I can see Nintendo coming out with a NX console with only 8-32GB of storage, and that console being perfect for the majority of people that just buy cartridges.

While I take your point about the cartridges, I still feel as though people will be used to saving their games to HDD, so will want the storage there I'd they need it.

On the PS4 now for example, I can't remember the last time I put a disc in the machine as I've got used to downloading and having instant access to the games. Going back to cartridges might seem a bit I'd a backward step, even though in reality it might not be.

Latest threads

Back