Super Mario Bros film review

Jack Lovejoy

From
California (Originally from Korea)
Playing
Wii
Hey guys, lets talk about a film that I have seen just recently. Yup, this is the Super Mario Bros film review.
rh0thy.jpg

The first thing I see is that the movie takes it WAY TOO FAR and it is up to the point where it doesn't feel like super mario. I kind of see why many things about this movie don't make any sense because: Why does Luigi look like 17 and Mario looks like 45, Why are Bowser and Toad human, Daisy is a dinosaur? The only things that are related to the Super mario franchise are just the items and the character's names, all the other things about this movie is just fricking weird.

I don't think they even got that many resources because why couldn't they have used animatronics for Toad and Bowser? They used various other animatronics and CGI effects for those scary ass goombas and the ugly yoshi. Also, the guns in this film are just SNES Super Scopes with metallic paint. Yup, they weren't even trying XD.
wi8oye.png

Yoshi?
2j3ibdx.jpg

Goomba?

The special effects in this film mostly are just sparks, that's it. Also, the acting here is bad as some of them don't even put effort in their expressions.

Also, I think the writers knew that this was almost nothing related to the actual Mario franchise, so what did they do to keep it in tact with the franchise? They made lots of corny fungus references! True comedy gold, 10/10.

Now let's move onto what the actors thought. The actors for Mario and Luigi confessed that acting in this movie was the worst damn thing they have done in their lives and I guess that explains the wooden acting.

Well, i give this film 2.5/10. This movie was just weird and had nothing to do with the Mario games. I can see why many people refused to consider that this is canon to the main series.

I am surprised that the producer had the guts to make a cliffhanger at the end of the film to cause hype for the next film. However, they never made another Mario film. This scarred Nintendo for life to not make a live action movie ever again.

I always liked the movie, believe it or not. Which is weird because I'm a die hard Mario fan and most people like me hate it, lol. It's not much like the source material, at all. I felt the same way about Dragon Ball Evolution, that it was an interesting take, albeit not an orthodox one.

This is a bad movie but I still enjoy it. Lol! I also enjoy the Wizard and Double Dragon. I guess because they are part of my childhood is why I like them. I even can say I could still watch that live action He-Man movie. I didn't say I would enjoy it , lol! The worst movie back than was the Garbage Pail Kids movie. Terrible!!!

Saw this film in the theatres. I hated it as a kid. Thought it besmirched the good name of Mario. Now, watching it as an adult, I find a great deal more appreciation for it, because it's so bad that it comes around the other side and winds up being kinda good. The bad kind of good that you can mock mercilessly with your friends on a Saturday night. Hardly in my pantheon of good movies, but I can watch it and not raise my fist angrily to the skies.

That's the same way I felt. As a kid I hated it but now it's a good bad. I agree 100%

This is a bad movie but I still enjoy it. Lol! I also enjoy the Wizard and Double Dragon. I guess because they are part of my childhood is why I like them. I even can say I could still watch that live action He-Man movie. I didn't say I would enjoy it , lol! The worst movie back than was the Garbage Pail Kids movie. Terrible!!!

man, did they market The Wizard right or what? I still get excited just at the thought of SMB3. It really was a good movie from what i remember.

I heard a story that while He-man was being filmed, Stallone visited the set and said of Lundgren: "Oh wow, you gave that guy lines!?!" I loved it

Hahahaha Stallone said that!!! Lol!

The Wizard was a pretty good movie. At least I enjoyed it. We got to see SMB3 and the Power Glove...lol!

Ah yes, Super Mario Bros... what a let down that movie was as a kid. I hate this movie mostly for the fact that it scared Nintendo from making movies based on their franchises for life (it seems). I mean, the actors are decent, but the script itself is just not Super Mario.

That being said, if the movie had never come out, we'd never have had this video:

So, that makes it worth it unto itself. :)

Ah yes, Super Mario Bros... what a let down that movie was as a kid. I hate this movie mostly for the fact that it scared Nintendo from making movies based on their franchises for life (it seems). I mean, the actors are decent, but the script itself is just not Super Mario.

That being said, if the movie had never come out, we'd never have had this video:

So, that makes it worth it unto itself. :)
I think those guys like bad movies more than they like good movies. Gives 'em more fodder for commentary and mockery. Wonder what John Leguizamo thinks of that video. (Or if he just agrees with the whole thing without needing to even watch.)

I wanted to see if I could find out what John Leguizamo thought of the Super Mario Bros movie and instead I found this video of him talking about it for the 20th anniversary:

It's actually pretty cool to get an inside look at that disastrous movie, lol. It also looks like he uploaded it from his office at home, which strikes me as somewhat funny that he's still thinking about the movie enough 20 years later to personally make a video about it.

Wow, I haven't thought about this movie in a few years. Definitely a cringer that you have to laugh at. Seems kinda sad that they didn't make the sequel now that I look back on it. Even if it would have been worse, it would have been something fun and quirky to look at. Our Nintendo fandom has some of the most colorful oddities on the market most days.

I was soo disappointed as a kid when my parents took me to see the film as a kid. But looking back at it... it's worth watching all the time because it's so weird and creepy as hell. It has my respect.

Honestly, the biggest problem with the 1993 Super Mario Bros movie is its title and its characters' names!

It was directed by Rocky Morton and Annabel Jankel, who created the revolutionary and subversive 1980's cyberpunk TV show Max Headroom. Comparing the two one kind of gets the impression that the pair wanted to make a cyberpunk movie more in the vein of Max Headroom rather than a more straight forward Super Mario Bros adaptation--and that's kind of, sort of what they did!

Was it a wise choice on their part, in retrospect? Arguably not. The people who went to the Super Mario Bros movie when it was released wanted to see something more in line with its source material and would be annoyed by the major deviations, whereas those who weren't fans of the game wouldn't see it all. It's not unlike the failure of the recent Jem and The Holograms movie that was a Jem and The Holograms movie in name only and as such appealed to not very many people and flopped in a very big way.

It is only fairly recently that people are starting to take a second look at the 1993 Super Mario Bros movie and appreciate it for what it is, developing something of a minor cult following. If nothing else, it's always fun to watch Dennis Hopper ham it up in the villain as Koopa by way of Gordon Gekko and Frank Booth! He seemed to have a lot of fun making this movie, unlike the rest of the main cast who perhaps had the least fun making a movie in their respective careers! (Bob Hoskins cited Super Mario Bros as his biggest career regret, and he played Odin in the 2005's horrendous Son of The Mask!)

I kind of wish that Morton and Jankel had instead made a very similar movie to their Super Mario Bros using characters of their own creation, and at the same time a different live action Super Mario Bros movie that was more faithful to the games was developed by someone else. That would have been the best of both worlds, as it were.

(Oddly enough, even though the 1993 Super Mario Bros was a major flop whose box office didn't even make up for half of its budget: it was a huge success in the town that I grew up in! Over there, it was constantly sold out and held over for weeks on end--to an extent that was comparable to Independence Day two years later! Something of an anomaly!)

(James "Angry Video Game Nerd" Rolfe once made a pretty amusing--and accurate--observation about the Goombas from the live action Super Mario Bros movie in one of his videos: the filmmakers almost went out of their way to make them unrecognizable, even to the point that they had huge bodies and tiny heads--the precise opposite of having tiny bodies and huge heads like the bad mushrooms they were in the original game! But on the other hand, I applaud the film's realistic Yoshi!)

It's not bad but it's definitely not like the games...

From the getgo I really wanted this to be a good film and I did, the one problem is that it is really not like the games.

Here's the changes I would like to make if I ever was involved in a film like this: *Change the plumber outfits *Have Luigi grow a mustache as well *Give the plumbers superpowers *Change the music soundtrack to the original game themes *Not have Mario older and getting a girlfriend who is not princess peach *Include Yoshi more *Add better villains including the goons and the boss

I have to say, it wasn't a bad film but it would've been better if it was based off the video game. It would've been better for fans to think anybody could've made a great movie but unfortunately it did go downhill!

I would love a director like Stephen Chow (Kung Fu Hustle) to have a go at a film like this. I think he could handle creating something more similar to the game.

Oh and Goomba is awesome! :)

Well this is one of those films that I just could not bring myself to watch. It would be too embarrassing and if I could not go into it with a serious tone then there is no way that I would do it whatever amount of justice that it deserves, and from all accounts that is not that much. I am not sure that I could have watched it even if I wanted to though because I have never seen it for sale or on TV or anything. Oh well, I will go back to forgetting about it I guess.

Haha, looking at those pictures makes me ask myself a lot of questions. Why did they change up the individual characters so much.

Why does Yoshi look like a baby Aladar from Disneys movie Dinosaur from the year 2000. I didn't watch this movie, and I don't think I will ever watch it. I do remember when it came out though, and hearing the worst of it from my little brother.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back