Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island (aka SMW 2)?

JoanMcWench

Playing
NES
I have a great love for both of these games. Although SMW was clearly closer to the classic original three NES Mario Bros. games (insofar as layout-graphics-gameplay), after years of personal inner deliberation I have come to the conclusion (reluctantly) that Yoshi's Island might just be the better of the two.
I think one of the main reasons I've come to this conclusion is due to the sheer originality of the look and feel of the latter. While still, clearly, taking place within the Mario universe (and may in fact be something of a prequel). It's so unique in its approach that I cannot help but be impressed with it's ability to maintain its integrity while being a derivative of the original. Like The Simpsons stepping away from Tracey Ullman. So, assuming you too have spent wasted years deliberating this, which is the better game and why?

I loved Yoshi's Island, it was a really fun game, but still SMW remains my favorite.
The reason is mainly because I always played it with my friends, we hung out and had a lot of fun, so it brings back many nice memories :)

Yoshi's Island was a little overwhelming for me when I first played it. Poochie the dog, turning into submarines/airplanes, having to learn new gameplay mechanics like aiming the eggs, and of course the cry of Baby Mario when you lose him--all of those things made it just a little too much back then. But of course the game is pure genius, and I like it a lot.

crunchyg said:
Yoshi's Island was a little overwhelming for me when I first played it. Poochie the dog, turning into submarines/airplanes, having to learn new gameplay mechanics like aiming the eggs, and of course the cry of Baby Mario when you lose him--all of those things made it just a little too much back then. But of course the game is pure genius, and I like it a lot.
I still, to this day, have not been able to master Poochie. He's a tricky lil pup!

I also really like the bonus stages and extra levels you can get in each world.

I guess I'll have to go with Yoshi's Island. I don't know what it is, but I really enjoyed the game - I guess it's because I really like weird things. Using the eggs, the out of the way dog, and changing the shape. I really enjoyed it though.

Yoshi's Island is me and my sister's video game. She still loves it even though Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy caused her to have a granmal seizure half a decade ago, the seizure itself was caused by meds she was having to take but the level triggered the seizure itself. She was ok and jokes about it now. I'm really disapointed with how mediocre the remake turned out to be.

I prefer the first game. I couldn't really vibe with Yoshi's island for some reason.

I've never actually played Yoshi's Island which is odd considering how much I like Yoshi, but I've never played it. I must say that my love for SMW would not have been beat by Yoshi when I was younger. Now I would have loved to play Yoshi's island but back when my Super Nintendo still functioned, it was SMW all the way. I feel like I missed out because there are a bunch of games that I have never played and wish I had.

Although both are amazing, SMW will always be dear to my heart. It is considered more of a classic than Yoshi's Island. I remember playing SMW throughout the day and get really excited when my dad was beating worlds that were considered difficult for the average 6 year old. We still have our console now and sometimes when we play it, the first game that comes to mind is only SMW.

Call me crazy, but I NEVER knew Yoshi's Island was Super Mario World 2. My mind was just blown guys, hahahahaha!

Seriously though, I really enjoyed Super Mario World a lot more than Yoshi's Island. There's just something timeless about Super Mario World that Yoshi's Island just doesn't have. It was a great game, but it's Super Mario World all the way.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back