Super Mario World

Thomas Ennis

From
Albuquerque
Playing
Super NES
My cousin had Super Mario World before me, so I used to go to his house and play all the time. I loved playing it, and still do to this day. There are several levels that are pretty difficult, but unfortunetly, the difficulty is somewhat impaired by the fact you can simply go to previous levels and collect items/extra lives. Being able to get multiple Yoshis of different color was always a blast.

How do you guys think this game stacks up against the other Mario games?

I wasn't super impressed with this game. It was good, but not great. I did wnjoy the overworld a lot, but to me the game just couldn't live up to SMB3.

Super Mario 3 is a game who's shoes are hard to fill. I try not to compare the other games, but I just can't help it. What I did like about Super Mario World was the ability to continue where you left off. If something happened when you were playing the older Mario brothers, you could very well loose all the hard work you put into the game that day.

BanjoKazooie said:
I wasn't super impressed with this game. It was good, but not great. I did wnjoy the overworld a lot, but to me the game just couldn't live up to SMB3.
Super Mario World is simply one of the greatest platformers ever made. As a child, it was my favourite Mario game, and it's certainly still near the top today.

Super mario world 2 made the first look like crap, although by gameplay they aren't even comparable. I like SMW, it just wasn't as good as SMW2 or SMB3, in my opinion.

Actually, I thought SMW looked pretty good when it first came out if you compared it with another games.

It did look great when it came out, just SMW 2 was probably the best looking game of its time.

On an unrelated note, don't quote posts directly above yours, google doesn't like duplicate content so the site goes down on their list. I think you can quote, then edit and delete the quote and I will still get the notification. Although I check these forums enough to see just about everything posted :)

Thanks. I am kind of used to my old forum SpongeBuddy Mania. :)

Don't forget that Super Mario World was a launch title while Yoshi's Island came at the end of the SNES life cycle. Also, Super Mario World was a direct sequel to the NES Mario series while Yoshi's Island was the beginning of the Yoshi series.

I know, they are incomparable, but I personally like SMW2 better, that is all I am saying. They are still both great games, with a lot of fun packed in, but Yoshis Island just had that charm that stuck with you, it was an amazing game :)

BanjoKazooie said:
I have to agree. I liked it. I played it through and had fun with it, but it was not my favorite. I had a lot more fun with the other mario games and I have to agree that neither one of the Super Mario World games held a candle to Super Mario 3. SM3 was just way more fun to play.

Super Mario World is one of my all time favourite SNES games and definitely my favourite Mario game. The game combines teh classic Mario formula from the NES (and it's odd predecessor for the Atari 2600) and give it the SNES makeover with new graphics , music , levels and cool mechanics. That game was a textbook example of a SNES game done right, it was fun yet challenging, open to players of all ages and it still holds up really well nowadays.

It does hold up pretty good considering. As far as difficulty goes, it's reasonable, but not in the league of Super Mario 3. I did like the world exploration, but being able to enter old levels and get more lives made the game somewhat easy, in the sense that, you basically got an infinite amount of tries.

I loved this system growing up! I really loved Yoshi! He was definitely a favourite of mine. I loved all of the levels in this game. The map was so awesome. I loved the star world and all of the other secret levels you found all around the map if you passed certain levels. I cannot forget how hard some of the star world levels were. Some of them I was stuck on for weeks! Try, try again, still loved it! I loved this system and the original one too. The graphics may not have been what they are today, but the games were awesome, nonetheless. Oh yeah, and course I loved Yoshi's Island! What great games these are!

I'm right there with you OP! My cousin got this game before me and I'd often stay the night at his house as a kid just so I could play. Part of what appealed to me aside from the Super Mario 3 feel was the ability to unlock so much stuff. Their was a lot of hidden stuff in that game and it always felt great when you accidently found a key and lock hole. I feel it was a truly great game and I still find myself playing it to date.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back