The Wii U - What do you think?

Smokey

From
NY
I'm curious about the Wii-U and just wanted to see what everyone thought of the console? Those who own it, how are you liking it?

I'm going to wait to see what the PS4 will be like before I get interested in the next gen but if it turns out to be something I wouldn't want to own then I may go for a Wii-U knowing all the rumours surrounding the new Xbox and Playstation. If more then half of them are true then the Wii-U would probably end up being my next gen console.....so I'm trying to get some insight from real users of the console, not going by reviews from sites like IGN because they're paid off by Nintendo anyway. So what is everyone's overall thoughts on the console? Is it really that revolutionary? Do you like it? hate it? share your thoughts here, please. :)

I do not own it yet, as i am waiting for a bit more patches/fixes and Nintendo games (Zelda ). But I did have the chance to try out the Mario platform game at a local electronic store. It is clear that the graphics are a lot better than on Wii(anything else would have been weird). I am a bit unsure of what I think about the controller, the screen felt a little bit small in proportion to the controller and the controller felt a little bit awkward to hold. But then again, I only played around with it for 5-10 minutes, and towards the end it did feel a little bit better. One thing that could have contributed to the controller being uncomfortable was the fact that it was stuck on a chain, so that it cant be stolen.

Yeah I know what you mean. That's my biggest gripe with the console. The controller being uncomfortable. I'd probably end up using the classic controller more then anything to be honest. I'm not quite sure if I'll get a Wii-U yet or not. All depends on what titles they push out for it the rest of the year and if/when the PS4 is dropping and at how much.

Wii U
Pros:
  • inventive gaming experience
  • backwards compatible with wii games
  • amazing "nintendo" titles
  • for some games, acts as a handheld as well!
  • glorified nintendo DS

Cons:
  • Not big on internet
  • Operating system is slow
  • Not for the hardcore online gamer
  • graphics aren't better, dated technology visually / sound

Xbox
Pros:
  • better online experience
  • better for FPS games
  • kinect addition
  • halo series
  • COD series

Cons:
xbox live cost money

Otherwise Wii U would be the best choice if you're going for a different gaming experience with the options to play traditionally and also backwards compatible with Wii titles. You probably have a lot more variety, but lack online.

Smokey said:
Yeah I know what you mean. That's my biggest gripe with the console. The controller being uncomfortable. I'd probably end up using the classic controller more then anything to be honest. I'm not quite sure if I'll get a Wii-U yet or not. All depends on what titles they push out for it the rest of the year and if/when the PS4 is dropping and at how much.
The thing is, if the controller is not usable it feels like a huge portion of why WiiU would be a good choice falls off. Just like with Wii the controller is in a lot of focus for Nintendo, so it really would be a shame if that would end up being the reason I don't like the console. I will get it though, 100%, there is no way I am missing a Zelda game.

So the Wii-U's online isn't any better then what the Wii was? also they didn't update the OS at all huh? If that's the case I might just skip the console all together. Even if they unified the user ID's, it'd still be nice if the network was good but if they don't have a good network that can compete with 360 and PS3 (according to Galaxis they don't) then it's not worth my time or money.

I don't know about you but I have never bought a console for the online play, to me console is about splitscreen and singleplayer and it really worries me that many new games only support online multiplayer and not splitscreen (Like some of the newer Need for Speed games, I mean seriously, a racing game with only singleplayer?)

I agree with you there with certain games not having split-screen. Tony Hawk Pro SKater HD is a perfect example of this while there was split-screen in the original games. However, online play is a big factor in games now like it or not, so a console's online netork is important nowadays. :)

The controller bothers me as well. Haven't yet had a chance to test it, but it won't be long as I'm planning a trip to Gamestop soon anyways.

I agree though - I'm GOING to play the new Zelda. It's happening one way or the other. No controller in the world will cheat me out of any adventure in which Link is involved.

Smokey said:
I agree with you there with certain games not having split-screen. Tony Hawk Pro SKater HD is a perfect example of this while there was split-screen in the original games. However, online play is a big factor in games now like it or not, so a console's online netork is important nowadays. :)
Yes of coarse, but single player online is something that the PC does better in every single way. So in the end it does not matter how good/bad it is when there is a better alternative for it. To each their own I guess.

I haven't tested a WiiU yet but I am really excited about it still and is at the top of my wanted console list. I really love Nintendo for the fun aspect of gaming as opposed to the hardcore. And in all honesty, I've never thought the either Xbox or play station were hardcore and I've had both. If anything the original Xbox was more hardcore than the 360 IMO.
I think the wiiU controller is a great idea and again Nintendo is ahead of its competitors in terms of innovation. While they are still trying to master motion tech with cameras and controllers, Nintendo have done it and moved on to the next level. Being able to play my games in my controller and walk around etc is awesome!

I'm going to wait until there's a good ammount of games I'm interested in for the Wii U, just because I ended up disappointed with the Wii.
I remember buying the Wii as soon as it was released, all excited about this new techology and how many amazing games Nintendo would come up with, and by the end of the "Wii era" we had about 10 good games for the Wii, and hundreds of lame titles aimed for a little kids audience (like the 500 Littlest Pet Shop titles). Not even Skyward Sword was worth the wait.
So yeah, I'm excited again about the Wii U's technology, and about some of the announced titles, but this time, I'll wait and see.

Galaxis said:
Wii U
Pros:
  • inventive gaming experience
  • backwards compatible with wii games
  • amazing "nintendo" titles
  • for some games, acts as a handheld as well!
  • glorified nintendo DS

Cons:
  • Not big on internet
  • Operating system is slow
  • Not for the hardcore online gamer
  • graphics aren't better, dated technology visually / sound

Xbox
Pros:
  • better online experience
  • better for FPS games
  • kinect addition
  • halo series
  • COD series

Cons:
xbox live cost money

Otherwise Wii U would be the best choice if you're going for a different gaming experience with the options to play traditionally and also backwards compatible with Wii titles. You probably have a lot more variety, but lack online.
I think this post summed it up the best. The controller does seem like a glorified DS and also I am still missing the online play. I think they could have hit it out of the ballpark had they started incorporating it a bit more. Also, I am not entirely satisfied with the new games that are coming out for it, I think they really need to step up their imagination if they want to keep competing. I am selling mine after owning it for a few months, after the initial novelty and charm wears off there is not much else to it.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back