What 3DS should I get?

Maru74

Playing
3DS
Hi! I’m fairly new at consoles and all. I do apologize if this isn’t the place to ask this. I thought I’d ask around here: What is the best 3DS I should get?

I am planning to use it primarily for animating on Flipnote, and possibly those Mii games. I’m not sure if the consoles will have distinct differences on what would be more comfortable drawing on. I also am looking to use my own money to buy one around Christmas, so I don’t want to spend too much on one.
Hope to hear some advice, thank you very much!

(when it was new) i got the New 3ds XL. It has all the cool games the 3ds came with, plus bigger screens, and slightly better load times. I still love mine.

I might be a bit late to the conversation but I'll write this anyway as it may help future comers.

The original 3DS and 3DS XL should not be considered outside of being a budget option, as they are wholly outclassed by their successors.

The 2DS is another purely budget option, with no 3D and no clamshell, although some people find it more comfortable

The real contenders are the N3DS and N3DSXL, which i will now compare.

The New 3DS is smaller, meaning that it can fit in your pocket, and depending on your hand size, may be more comfortable. It also has replaceable plates (good look finding them however). Additionally it is often cheaper than the XL, with it being about $100 cheaper than the XL here in Europe.

The New 3DS XL is a bigger version of the N3DS, and this comes with several features. Firstly, due to its larger form factor it doesn't fit in many pockets. It does however come with a somewhat longer battery life. The screen is also bigger, which is good for certain games, although it does slightly stretch the games, as they are designed for a regular 3DS screen. If you have bigger hands the XL might be more comfortable but this is subjective. The plates are not officially replaceable, but the internet has produced many N3DS XL plates to buy. Also this is the model with the most support from the community as it is considered the definitive version.

TLDR: N3DS or N3DS XL, I recommend N3DS as it in most respects is better than the XL

Latest threads

Back