What are your top 3 SNES RPG's?

Hard list to narrow down to just three favorites...

1) Secret of Evermore (I still play this game every now and then and strangely I didn't care for Secret of Mana)

2) Earthbound (I am buying this for Wii U tomorrow)

3) Super Mario RPG (If only Square Enix would make a true sequel)

1) Secret of Evermore (I still play this game every now and then and strangely I didn't care for Secret of Mana)

Secret of Evermore is a favourite of mine as well and I'm sad it isn't more popular. I loved the artwork and themes throughout the world, the music was phenomenal (Jeremy Soule is so talented!), and the story was quirky and a bit cliched but still fun. The reagent magic system was innovative and interesting, something I always greatly enjoyed. My favourite part of the game is the timed market swap meet, where you rush against the clock to obtain as many rare items as possible by trading various goods throughout the market. I have such fond memories of this game and still get cravings to play it!

My choices are typical but I'll list them anyway:

1) Seiken Densetsu 3
2) Final Fantasy VI (III)
3) Chrono Trigger

Chrono Trigger and FF6 need no explanation at this point, being some of the most famous classic RPGs in existence. Seiken Densetsu 3 was never released outside of Japan but there has been a phenomenal English fan translation floating around the internet for more than a decade and it plays flawlessly on emulators. Seiken Densetsu 3 is truly a work of art and beautiful in every way; I'm sad it never received an official translation since I'm sure it would have been a wildly popular game. The art, music, story, and tech is unparalleled by any other SNES game in my opinion! The sprites are absolutely gorgeous, the music is so beautiful it gives me goosebumps, and elements of the dynamic story change depending upon which party members are chosen at the beginning of the game. I highly recommend this game to anyone with a love of RPGs!

My top three would have to be... (I'm counting Strategy RPG's)

1. Earthbound (Best RPG evar, except for mother 3)
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Japan exclusive)

Ah that's an easy one:

1) A Link To The Past
2) Earthbound
3) Secret of Mana

These games kept me glued to my tv when I was a younger lad.

A link to the past would be my favorite RPG on the SNES. It has so much replayability that it never gets old. Chrono Trigger is in second place with Final Fantasy 6 taking bronze.

I don't really have a top three, but I played the hell out of Chrono Trigger. I can remember not really knowing what the game was about ,just really liking the gameplay. I'm not sure if it's out for PC but I would totally buy this game again if it is out for PC.

1. Earthbound: This was the first RPG I actually fell in love with and thought about while I was in class. The character design, the fictional world and story all kept me hooked until I completed it, and it's one of the few role players I did complete. 2. A link to the past: Do I even need to explain? This Zelda for the then next gen SNES did not fail and is one of the reason Zelda has the strong fan base it does today. 3. Secret of Mana: Amazing story and it had a similar engine as #2. The story was interesting enough and the character designs reminded me of Akira Toriyama art.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Secret of Mana
3. A Link to the Past

Well, the SNES was a jrpg powerhouse, some of the best games in the genre were released for this system. It's difficult to narrow it down to just three games because there were so many excellent titles released. Squaresoft pretty much dominated the jrpg genre during that period and it's not surprising that all three of my favorites come from this company. Here's a quick breakdown of my top 3 SNES jrpgs:

1. Chrono Trigger
  2. Final Fantasy VI
  3. Final Fantasy IV
It's amazing how the Final Fantasy series evolved on the SNES, something that can't be said about the last few iterations.

The more and more I think about it the more I realize one thing: there were simply too many GREAT Rpgs on the SNES to literally limit them down to 3. I looked at my previous response, and where most of that still holds true - there were just so many missing games from it that I enjoyed just as much. Such a good era, the SNES.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back