Why are Nintendo's games not dropping in price?

Jack Lovejoy

From
California (Originally from Korea)
Playing
Wii
I saw that Mario Kart DS is still 40$...... My love for Nintendo is shrinking...

But I searched up the law and isnt that illegal to have your price stay at the same price forever? I mean, there is supply and demand, but it still is illegal.

Because they're worth it. Would you rather buy Halo 2 for $5 or Mario Sunshine for $50?

A good selling title I believe. Nintendo is one of the top contenders for console gaming besides Microsoft and Sony. And you don't /have/ to buy new too. It's $40 for a new game, but pre-owned is infinitely cheaper ($11-$29). It all depends on where you buy from.

For a lot of people, games are well worth the money even ten years after they've been released. If they're in the box brand new, don't games have a tendency to go up in value? Say you had a copy of.. (*5 minutes of Google Searching Later*) Legend of Zelda: A link to the past. Looking on Google now, Factory sealed copies are selling for $200 - $300 dollars a pop. Shoot, there are some listings for even more. Copies found at the store are still $30 - $40.

I'm curious where you found this law that games must depreciate in value, because I can't for the life of me find anything on that subject. I mean, yeah, over time the value will decrease, but there's nothing I can find that says a game must be sold at a lower price.

Half the time, it's not even Nintendo that sets the prices. Game shops buy the games at a price (cost) from a vendor (and probably not straight from Nintendo, but another warehouse) and then set a new price for the shelf (retail). The point of the retail price is to recuperate the cost price, and also turn a profit.

If a game is doing well in store, and is still high in demand, the store will of course keep the price as high as possible to continue bringing in a profit. If a game does poorly, or is so severely outdated that only a select few will purchase (say, E.T. for the Atari), chances are, the store will keep the price low to move it out faster.

Regardless of your personal opinions on how the game industry works, there's very little you can do to control it. You can, however, control where you buy your games. If $40 doesn't tickle your fancy, then try buying used as well.

And Halo 2 isn't a bad game. It's half decent. :3

Ok bad example. But it does validate a partially-relevent point: Nintendo games are known for their quality, and nobody else is. After it crashed due to being swamped by many shitty games like E.T, Nintendo single-handledly revived the console market with their seal of quality of program, which ensured that any game with the seal was as bug-free as possible and was fun to play. Even when they got left behind by other consoles, Nintendo still ensured that their games were well built and capable of standing the test of time. Even games like A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and Windwaker still look great today when games who promised amazing graphics end up showing their age badly now.

Not saying that games from other consoles are consistently worse (my stepbrother is obsessed with Legend of Dragoon despite it being a ugly pixelated mess), but it's only a maybe where Nintendo is pretty much a definite.

As nice as Nintendo games are, and they are relatively bug free, there are a number of games that don't feel.. right. The Wii fit/ Wii motion games were decidedly lackluster, for one, and I feel like the newer Zelda games just don't bring anything new to the table. Mind, that's just my personal opinion. The thing is, Nintendo isn't bringing anything new to the table (again, in my opinion). Xbox and Playstation have new titles/series coming out every now and again and to me I think that's really refreshing. Regardless of whether or not it's a buggy sort of mess, it's /different/. Of course, every system has it's own set of series too. Just like Nintendo has Zelda and Mario Xbox has.. Halo? I think? To be honest I'm not as well versed in console games. I prefer to delve into my computer and MMO baloney.

But overall, I agree: Nintendo has really pushed some quality games. But maybe they're nearing their end too; I haven't heard of anything truly amazing from Nintendo (save for that Pokemon GO thing they're doing. But then again, that's kind of the same extension of a series that they do all the time)

*flop* I still say the price things are a result of the stores more than Nintendo itself.

And at that, I don't think there's much else I can say about this. I'm sure I've already spouted all sorts of gibberish already xD

Well, this came from the hater I mentioned in a previous thread.

I am just surprised that Nintendo is not as nice as it seems. I keep telling him about Supply and Demand, but he simply shrugs it off and says it is still illegal

That doesn't clarify who the hater is (I checked the previous thread and nothing jumped out at me).

Supply and Demand is definitely a part of it, but like I said above, it's more likely the shops are setting the prices, not Nintendo themselves. Yes, there probably is a base price they want it sold at, but it's not $40. the $40 sales figure is the shop trying to recoop the cost of buying all these games and then turning a profit. That's just how business works.

Because the Nintendo branding (usually) ensures quality. At least for most games 2014 and older.

If you look at a lot of the stuff they released in 2015, you can already get them for super cheap. Codename STEAM dropped to $10 super fast and amiibo Festival and Mario Tennis can already be found for under $30 because they aren't good games.

It's all about the market. If people will pay it, they will charge it. You can't necessarily tell nintendo how to price anything, and it's been like this since 64 (64 is the first console I ever had any financial awareness of prices, we had a snes and nes but I wasn't involved with money at that stage of my life)

Well, let me get this straight...

Nintendo doesn't drop their prices because they are using the Blue ocean strategy, where they don't compete with Sony and Microsoft. Since Nintendo is straying away from competition, they are a single party that has no competition, thus prices remain the same for that specific market.

I mean, Microsoft and Sony drop their prices because they are in a Red ocean, where they compete with one another. Without competition for Nintendo, prices go up and they have full control of the market they are in. The rules may be bullshit for that single competition, but is it really illegal or against the law?

In fact, was everything I said here accurate?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back