Wii U System Update Version 4.0.0 U is Live

Lawnachaun

From
California
Playing
Wii U
New Wii U update out now

A new Wii U update is now available for download. It should be up around the world – North America, Europe, and Japan.

It seems like the update is a rather large download (648 MB), so we’re not quite sure what it does just yet. We’ll keep this post up-to-date with details.
Wii U system update now available to download

It would appear that someone’s flicked the switch early. After the scheduled Nintendo Network maintenance period ended, users across Europe and North America have begun receiving prompts to download the Wii U’s latest system update.

With a Nintendo Direct having been confirmed just yesterday, it had been expected that the company would share details regarding their second “significant” update for the console as promised earlier in the year.

We’re currently downloading ourselves, the update weighing it at a sizeable 648MB, and with no patch notes as yet shared by Nintendo we will keep you posted as soon as we learn of anything new.

Wii U System Update (Version Number Coming Soon) Now Available

Time to update that Wii U!

Nintendo’s newest Wii U firmware update is now live and available for download. The proper version number and the new changes that have been made are not yet known. We’re downloading it right now, and will post all the details after we figure out what was changed/ enhanced. It is pretty hefty, however, as it is taking a good bit of time to download.

It's true. The new, "big", Wii U System Update is live right now. Not tomorrow, as many had suspected it would launch. It is live right now. I'm finding more and more websites saying that it's now available. So go for it. Don't wait until tomorrow. Feel free to get it now.

I just got finished downloading it myself. When I started, my Wii U said it was "Version 3.1.0 U". And now, after the update, it says "Version 4.0.0 U". It took me about a half hour to download and install it completely. There are no release notes about the update yet, so I'm not sure what exactly it does. However, I'm sure we'll find out by tomorrow, at the latest. I'm going to hop on my Wii U in a minute, and play around with it. See what changes I notice.

If the release notes for the actual changes pop up online sometime tonight, before the Nintendo Direct tomorrow, I'll post it here. Otherwise, I'll just play around with my Wii U, and then give my impressions on what I think it did. If you download it, and try it out yourself, feel free to post what you think of the changes. I'll be watching football on tv while playing around on my Wii U. So I may get distracted by the football game, or playing on the Wii U. So I can't say exactly when I'll be back online. But I will be on again tonight before I go to bed.

However, what I can say, is that when your system restarts, after installing the update, it tells you about the SpotPass feature on the Wii U, and how will download updates when your system is off, and stuff like that. Anyways, gonna try it out now. Again, feel free to get it now. Takes about a half hour total. I have it now. Will post back later. Enjoy.

So I've gotten to play around with the new update. The system seems a little more smoother and stable. And some of the loading times between apps seems to be shorter. Not all of them, I don't think. But it's noticeable on some. I'm still trying everything out.

As I said before, when the system restarts, it begins by telling you about the Spotpass feature. Also, once it's up and running, you can't go online until you agree to the new terms and conditions. All basic stuff in there. Once you click agree to the new terms and conditions, you are back in business.

I checked out Miiverse, and there's a new loading screen. This time, there's a globe, with different Mii's on it. And where the Mii's are standing on the globe, there are different times, with the name of the city that they are. Different cities from all around the world. Also, your real time is on the globe itself, and it's much bigger than the other times. So there's no mistaking what time is your time. So that was cool.

I tried the eShop, and that has a new loading screen as well. There's an image of a game, and it continues to cycle through different titles. Also, the menu list on the left side is different. Instead of saying "Front Page" on top, it now says "eShop Home". And instead of saying "Menu" next, it says "My Menu", with a picture of your Mii. So there have definitely been some tweaks.

The Friend's List has been added to the main screen, next to the other icons on the bottom of the screen, like Miiverse and the eShop and the rest. So that'll save you from having to hit the Home button to gain access to the Friend's List. So that's a nice change.

I tried out the Youtube app, and it's working smoothly, and quickly. Perfectly, I'd say.

I even went to youtube.com in the Internet Browser, and it was as smooth as ever there. In fact, I think that the Internet browser is faster now. At least, it seems to be for me. I went to about 10 websites, and they all loaded up pretty quickly. So that's cool. The Internet Browser didn't have any noticeable "cosmetic" differences, like Miiverse and the eShop did. But it did seem to load webpages faster.

Also, the Internet Browser can still play video files straight off of my computer. Since the Wii U was first launched, I set it up so that I could open up the Internet Browser, and us it to play video files straight from my computer to the Wii U. It plays the videos on both, the tv screen, and the Gamepad. Which is great. So I use that a lot. Lots of time I'll play a video file onto my Gamepad, and have the Gamepad on it's stand, on my desk. Then, I can be online on my computer, while watching videos from my computer on my Gamepad, and, still keep my tv free for watching tv or movies or whatever. So I'm glad that that still works.

Netflix has an update now. I used it yesterday, and it just started right up. Then, just a little bit ago, I tried it just to try it, after the update, and it downloaded an update. So either Netflix added an update today, or Nintendo made an update for it, based on this new system update. But it's a small, quick update. Once that's done, it's smooth sailing, like normal.

The System Settings menu looks the same. I didn't notice anything different in there. Tho I only did a quick glance at that. Didn't do an indepth search of it. I also haven't tried everything yet. I haven't tried the Daily Activity Log or Wii U Chat yet. Tho I'm not expecting any changes there. I did try out Wii Street U, but that's the same as it was after the last update, which was announced during the last Nintendo Direct.

Nintendo TVii seems a little faster, and seems to respond better. So that's good. But I didn't sit and try to post on it, or see how fast new images show up as a show or game is playing. I just browsed through the menu and different categories. I'll put more time into this app later. But the first impressions is that it seems smoother.

Some of the games seem to load up a little quicker, and close back to the Wii U Main Menu Screen a little quicker too. Not all of them. But some of them. However, speaking of games...

... you can play Wii games on your Wii U Gamepad. That is, when you start a Wii game from the Wii Menu, you can choose to have the Wii game play directly on the tv alone, or, stream to both the tv and Gamepad. Then, with a Wiimote/nunchuck combo, or, a Classic Controller attached to a Wiimote, (no Gamecube controller tho), you can play the game normally, but look at either your tv or gamepad screen. Thus, you can play the game while using your Gamepad as your monitor. So you can change your channel or whatever, on your tv, and use your Gamepad as your monitor to play Wii games on. So there's that.

-----
I'm still checking out more stuff. Again, if I find an official list of what all of the changes are, I'll post it here. In the meantime, feel free to post your thoughts and impressions of any and all changes that you can find.

Wii U System and Feature Updates

Nintendo constantly aims to improve the functionality of its systems and services in order to provide the easiest, most user-friendly experience possible. As a part of these efforts, we are making Wii U™ system updates available for download via the Internet.

Your Wii U system and software are not designed for use with any unauthorized device and/or any unauthorized software. Please note that the Nintendo warranties do not cover any defects to or defects caused by unauthorized devices, software, modifications and/or non-licensed accessories. Furthermore such use may cause performance issues and/or damage to your Wii U system and related services. Nintendo (as well as Nintendo licensees or distributors) is not responsible for any damage or loss caused by the use of such devices, software, modifications or non-licensed accessories.

IMPORTANT: After the Wii U system is updated, any existing or future unauthorized technical modification of the hardware or software of your Wii U system, or the use of an unauthorized device in connection with your system, may render the system permanently unplayable. Content deriving from the unauthorized modification of the hardware or software of your Wii U system may be removed. Failure to accept the update may render games unplayable.

Wii U system updates can be received automatically when connected to the internet. When the download is complete, you will receive a dialog on the Wii U Menu detailing the steps to install the update.

Version 4.0.0 U, available via an Internet connection, includes the following improvements:

New Features:

A feature to output video and sound to the Wii U GamePad when using Wii Mode¹
Users can choose to output to the TV and GamePad, or just the TV
A feature to automatically receive recommended software and demo titles from Nintendo using SpotPass
Support for USB keyboards
An option to disable use of a Nintendo Network ID on non-Nintendo hardware, such as PCs and smartphones
Support for Dolby® Pro Logic® II Surround Sound when playing Wii software

Changes to Wii U Menu:

Added a friend list icon to the Wii U Menu for easier access to the Friend List

Changes to System Settings:

An option to automatically receive recommended software is now available under "Internet"
A setting to select which cable outputs sound is available through "TV"
Users can choose to output sound through an HDMI cable, non-HDMI cable, or both cables at the same time. Click here for instructions
A setting to adjust the hourly interval in which standby functions are performed is available under "Power Settings" when Standby Functions are enabled

Changes to Wii U Chat:

Added the option to view a friend's profile on Miiverse when sending or receiving a chat request
Users can now chat using a headset connected to the Wii U GamePad

Changes to Internet Browser:

Pressing the R or L Buttons on the Wii U GamePad will skip video playback forward/back a small amount of time
Holding the R Button will speed up video playback
Ability to save username and passwords for websites that require login²
Ability to launch the Internet Browser during gameplay and upload screenshots
Added support for viewing PDF files³
Added features intended for website developers that allow the user to enable developer tools and set user agent

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

¹ Wii software displayed on the Wii U GamePad cannot be controlled by the GamePad. This feature only allows Wii software to be displayed on the GamePad. A Wii Remote Plus or Wii Remote is required to play Wii software titles.

² Users can delete saved usernames and passwords from the Internet Browser settings.

³ Sometimes data may not be displayed correctly depending on the size and format of the PDF file. PDF files cannot be saved.
Well, there is it. Here are your official Release Notes for the new 4.0.0 U update. I didn't know about the keyboard support. Didn't even think to try that out, to be honest. The PDF support is cool too.

Wow. Thanks for the release notes. I might not have figured out the Wii Games on the gamepad. I never played, and just bought, Okami. Err...that won't work. I guess that would only work for games that don't require pointing.

Actually, all Wii games will work with this. Even those that don't require the pointer. Basically, just treat the Gamepad as a monitor or tv. And that's it. Just have your pointer aiming at the sensor bar. But other than that, controllers will work just the same. The same image will be on your tv and the Gamepad. So you can play it solely on our Gamepad with ease. In fact, it'll be easier with games without the pointer, as then you won't have to worry about the sensor bar. But even with the sensor bar, it's still playable. Give it a try. Have fun.

Too bad you can't use your finger on the touchscreen to emulate the pointer. That would especially make sense for Okami.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back