Will there be a Wii U redesign?

Donkey Punch

Playing
NES
After hearing so much feedback about the first-gen Wii U hardware, what is the likelihood of a Wii U redesign in 2013 or 2014? Other than the design itself not measuring up in quality to Nintendo's recent console designs (obviously GameCube's brilliant design comes to mind, but also the original Wii), there are also concerns about storage limitations.

Both Microsoft and Sony have released updated designs of Xbox 360 and PS3, and the redesigns look great in both cases, so it would be good if Nintendo followed suit. But if they do, let's hope they don't remove backward compatibility with Wii games, like they did with GameCube compatibility with the second Wii model.

Even Nintendo have released "New" versions of their consoles, sure it was only the colour that changed on the Wii. But if we look at the handheld DS, it has had multiple versions. I really do hope that Nintendo releases a special Zelda-Edition WiiU with better quality, better looking plastic around the time when they release the new Zelda game.

I agree with Hertihej that there will probably be color redesigns and perhaps a special edition case with artwork. I do however suspect we will not see major case shape reworking on the Wii U.

For starters, it's hardware is very similar to PC architecture and it is generating a comparable amount of heat. When it comes to heat disipation, you have two potential roads: Insulate the components with space in a larger case or add a more robust cooling system like noisey high powered fans or very expensive liquid cooling. Given that Nintendo's sales philosophy this time around is clearly aimed to keep the console in the $350, affordable range, I suspect we will not see much in the way of shrinking or novelty case shapes. Of course, it's always possible that we'll see some kind of radical advancement in the tech that improves function while lowering production costs, but this isn't the type of thing you can depend on.

I would've loved a Monster Hunter Wii-U edition to be honest. That being said, I'm gonna hold off on buying a Wii-U until well into next generation. If a price drop occurs I will more then likely pick up a Wii-U before I pick up a PS4 but that all depends on two things:
1) Price of the console
2) Games available that interest me. So far there are only 3 games on the Wii U that I want to play: ZombiiU, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and the new Mario Bros game.

I'm pretty sure we're going to see a game extravaganza at E3 this year for Wii. Even if I'm wrong and there will be a Wii redesign at some point, it wont be for another year at earliest. This year, Nintendo's strategy is all about getting top quality games out into the market. Announcements should be pretty exciting this year. I'm crossing my fingers that maybe Capcom's going to spring a Wii U specific Megaman title on us. A guy can hope, right?

They probably will come up with many redesigns, not so much on the console though, I mena what else are they going to do, it looks exactly like the Wii but with smooth edges :p BUT I'm sure they'll come up with new redesigns for the game pad. Many are complaining about the size and that some of the buttons are uncomfortable to reach. We'll see if they can re-design it withouth making the screen smaller... big challenge there.

ChristianMcNamara said:
They probably will come up with many redesigns, not so much on the console though, I mena what else are they going to do, it looks exactly like the Wii but with smooth edges :p BUT I'm sure they'll come up with new redesigns for the game pad. Many are complaining about the size and that some of the buttons are uncomfortable to reach. We'll see if they can re-design it withouth making the screen smaller... big challenge there.
I agree completely. I think the new controller is awesome because there is a screen and you're able to change from playing on TV to the portable console /controller easily, but it just isn't as comfortable as it should be. They should really take notice of where the other portable consoles have been successful and base their next design off that when they release the next version.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back