World Record Broken 4/13/16!

Bloom

Playing
3DS
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the world record breaker, Darbian!

As of April 13, 2016, the Super Mario Bros' timing record was broken by Darbian with 4:57.260. He is considered a "Speed Runner" where he focuses on one game and finds way to get from beginning to end in a certain amount of time. Most players who speed run find a series of glitches that allow you to get from one place to another. In this case, Nintendo offered a series of green tubes that allow you to jump worlds.

Click here to see him break the world record!

Anyone here speed runners? If so, how long have you been speed running? How did you become a speed runner? What game(s) do you speed run? What game(s) do you recommend beginners, or those who want to be challenged?

Oh yes, how could I forget! Darbian is a monster speedrunner. That world record man, whew, godlike. It's FRAME PERFECT! I don't know if it's TAS frame perfect, but it's definitely human frame perfect. Well, anything below 5 minutes is already godlike. You have to make one or two pixel or frame perfect jumps to get under 5 minutes.

I wanted to be a speed runner, but speedrunning is a commitment and I just don't have enough time to play.

@spence88 Exactly my problem! I would totally try and speed run a bunch of games if I had the time, but alas, I don't. I actually had a boyfriend (now ex) who literally spent most of his time speed running. His game of choice was Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Apparently there was a glitch that you can be small Link and defeat Ganondorf. Obviously, it was difficult because your health is much, much less, but it was doable. He would just do that over and over again rather than anything else. So it definitely is time commitment!

I always wondered what was the thing that made people get into doing this, but it is certainly impressive. If nothing else it really goes to show you the power of our motor skills to make routine and to learn new systems. I would think that world record would get a little more recognition too, but maybe we are just used to this sort of thing. Still impressive though, and thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back