2D vs 3D games

Damien Lee

Playing
Super Famicom
Anyone that has been reading my posts, will have figured out by now that I'm more of a retro gamer. Therefore I prefer older games but also those that are 2D. I've got a soft spot for pixel art as that's the visual style that I grew up with. I definitely don't mind realistic 3D games but I still prefer a 2D cartoony look at the end of the day.

What do you have a preference for : 2D or 3D games?

I like both. Super Smash Bros. Melee is my favorite game, so probably 2D. I couldn't imagine a Smash game that was 3D!;)

3D by far. There aren't many 2D games I'm actually fond of, to be honest.

Well, the games industry needs to be diverse if it's going to continue to be successful. So many gamers out there have radically different tastes and it's impossible to please everyone with just a few styles. The 2D vs 3D debate was a huge issue back in the late 90's with the emergence of 3D games. Nowadays, many folks seem to have settled into a favorite style and genre of gaming. The market is very fragmented but there are enough gamers out there to ensure demand.

Most of the 2D games I like are the Mario platformers.
Well, the games industry needs to be diverse if it's going to continue to be successful. So many gamers out there have radically different tastes and it's impossible to please everyone with just a few styles. The 2D vs 3D debate was a huge issue back in the late 90's with the emergence of 3D games. Nowadays, many folks seem to have settled into a favorite style and genre of gaming. The market is very fragmented but there are enough gamers out there to ensure demand.

Agreed, there needs to be variety for the market to succeed. Oddly enough, outside of Nintendo most big publishers aren't focusing much at all on 2D games. It seems Indie has taken the market on that.

There is a diverse group of gamer's out there. I for one like all types of games but have fallen to the 3D world. I still find 2 D fun, but I feel at the moment 3D is more immersive. But the bottom line is what sells the most copies of games. GTA 5 made a billion dollars in sales when it was released. It was 3D. So you know what the game developers are going to make. They go where the money is and that's what drives the industry.

Back