3DS XL Will Charge but Dies After Unplugging

NightTerror6

Playing
3DS XL
My 3DS, when plugged in, will turn on. When I unplug it, it dies immediately. I have already replaced the battery. I got the 3DS off of eBay and it came like this.

It's not charging then. It's running off the charger directly without the battery involved. Are you sure you replaced the battery correctly?

Check and see if the battery is inserted properly. If it is then you may have a dud esp 3rd party batts.

@Segata lol
Will check battery.

EDIT: Made sure the battery connections were proper. Now charging the 3DS.

Last edited:
When a device is plugged in and supposed to be charging but isn't, and just running on AC power then that usually means the battery is faulty.

Over time a battery will start to degrade the more it gets charged and it might be time to start thinking about a replacement.

If you have already changed the battery, then the issue is surely related to the console's battery wiring. Was the console you bought used? If so, it's very likely they tried to get rid of a faulty unit.

Many units are sold faulty unfortunately and while the console still works in effect, it's not exactly the portable unit that the console was originally intended to be if you have to keep it plugged in.

Was there any type of warranty that you got when you bought it? Contact them immediately and see if they can either replace it entirely or just send you a new battery.

Just another point that I don't see that's been mentioned, is maybe change the adapter and see if the system charges then. Sometimes it can be the plug itself that is at fault and nothing to do with the actual system itself. Only reason I've come up with that idea is that a friend of mine had a laptop that all of a sudden refused to charge and then eventually wouldn't work when plugged in either, and after many battery changes and all manner of different fixes they tried, in the end it turned out to be a faulty adapter.

Well it sounds like you 3DS and my phones should be best friends. I seem to always have issues with my devices holding charges or all of the sudden not accepting the charger that came with it (seriously, how does this happen?) I will use a charger and then all of the sudden it says "please use original charger to charger faster". Oh well, just anther thing to deal with. I hope that you find an good answer, but I sure haven't yet. Best of luck, and thanks for sharing.

Mobile devices and charging (or not charging) as been, and until something gets done about it, will always be the biggest issue that we have to do deal with. It's all very well having a cutting edge device that can play and download all of the latest games and apps, but if the battery only last a few hours then what's the point?

I know that the devices these days are very power hungry, but surely something can be done in the development of the batteries to make them more powerful so they last longer. I don't think it's asking to much for us to wan't our devices to last at least last one day without us having to charge them.

We're slowly working on wireless charging. Maybe in a decade or so long-range charging would be so prevalent that you would never need to even thing about if your phone is charged, and some devices wouldn't need batteries at all.

It might be the wiring which means that you got a dud for a system. Still, if it's the power adapter or the battery you can do something about it. Just make sure to keep the receipts if you buy new components just in case the whole system is terrible. No need to buy a battery that you are never going to use.

We're slowly working on wireless charging. Maybe in a decade or so long-range charging would be so prevalent that you would never need to even thing about if your phone is charged, and some devices wouldn't need batteries at all.

Well despite still struggling to understand how this works exactly, I am certainly excited to see this and will help me out tremendously. I might be the worst person at remembering to charge my stuff or bring the charger with me, so this will make my life a lot easier. I have seen it on a couple of phones but it seems like we are in for a lot more soon. Interesting stuff, and thanks for sharing.

Latest threads

Back