A Sudden Rise in GBA Popularity

thatthisguy

Playing
Super NES
I have noticed a sudden resurgence in GBA popularity and I was wondering if anyone could speculate as to why this might be? Does the 3DS have GBA games for sale on the eShop? I'm actually looking to get back into GBA gaming and I would like to know if the Nintendo is looking to bring back some of the popular GBA games on 3DS. What are some Game Boy Advance games you would like to see on the Nintendo eShop?

I'm glad that the GBA is finally getting more recognition. It was an awesome system that I loved. In fact, the GBA got me back into handheld gaming. I had completely given up on handheld gaming in the 90's. Had absolutely no interest in them. When the GBA was first announced, I couldn't care less about it. But then, my friend talked me into buying one. I didn't want to. However, he had talked all of my other coworkers into getting one too. He worked two jobs. One at the game store, which was why he was trying to 'sell' us on the games. And the other was with me, at another job. So anyways, he got all of my coworkers to buy one, and they all seemed like they highly enjoyed it. They even played it at work when they should of been working. So I decided to see what all of the hoopla was, and got my own.

After getting my own, I used to pop into the game store when I knew he was working there. He would let me play all of the used games. I could pick whatever I wanted, and he'd give them to me to try. I just couldn't leave the store with them, unless I paid for it, naturally. So I'd stay in the store for an hour or two, at at time, and pick this title,a nd that, and this and that. And before I knew it, boom, I was hooked. The GBA was amazing, and because of him working there, I got to not only play the GBA, but I also got to play a ton of titles that I otherwise would never have ever bothered to play. But, I'm glad that I did, because the GBA was awesome. I didn't buy every game, but I did play a whole ton.

Here is a list of some great GBA games. My absolute favorites, above all else, are the 2 Advance Wars games. Advance Wars, and Advance Wars: Dark Hole Rising. So, naturally, they come first. Also, Street Fighter Alpha 3 was another great GBA game. The console versions were, overall, better. However, the GBA title is thee best handheld Street Fighter game, ever. Read my review in the other there.. here.. Street Fighter Alpha 3. Also, I can't forget Metroid Fusion. Another amazing, amazing game. I want all of these games on the Wii U. That would be incredible to have, and get to play on the Wii U Gamepad. Oh, and the Castlevania games. And, another Street Fighter classic, Super Puzzle Fighter 2.

So, to answer your question.....

Advance Wars
Advance Wars: Dark Hole Rising
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Super Puzzle FIghter 2
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Revival
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance

... All of those games great GBA games I want again.

All others are just randomly picked...So, without further adieu, here you go..

Mega Man Zero
Golden Sun
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Mega Man & Bass
Robotech: The Macross Saga
Final Fantasy 6: Advance
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past + Four Swords
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Virtua Tennis
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Sega Smash Pack - (Ecco the Dolphin, Goldne Aze, Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball)
Sega Arcade Gallery - (After Burner, OutRun, Super Hang-On, Space Harrier)
Lunar Legend
River City Ransom EX
Lego Star Wars: The Video Game
Lego Star Wars 2: The Original Trilogy
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Dragonball Z: The Legacy of Goku
Contra Advance: The Alien Wars EX
Sonic Advance
Risk / Battleship / Clue / Connect 4 / Perfection / Trouble
Astro Boy: The Omega Factor
Gunstar Super Heroes
Driver 2 Advance
Turok: Evolution
Max Payne
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Boktai: The Sun Is in Your Hand
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Ninja Five-0
Mario Tennis Power Tour
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
Mega Man Battle Network 2
Doom
Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World
Drill Dozer
Mario vs Donkey Kong

Any of those would be cool. But really, that top list are the ones that I want first. Everything else can come later.

thatthisguy said:
I have noticed a sudden resurgence in GBA popularity and I was wondering if anyone could speculate as to why this might be?

Answer: Marketing of the Hyperkin Retron 5 that will enhance the graphics and output via HDMI to a TV. Seeing the marketing material on the Retron 5 made me go out and buy a bunch of carts for NES, SNES, GB, GBC, and GBA. Still waiting for Hyperkin to release the thing about a year late, but I have an original NES, SNES, and 3 GBA SP's to enjoy the games for now.

I think the GBA deserves getting a lot of popularity!
It's a great handheld console, the battery life is very good, the games are awesome and it never got the recognition it should've, so I guess the world is making up for that now.

Of all handheld consoles, the GBA is my favorite. It was and still is an awesome console to have :)

Generally, there is increased interest in retro gaming lately. All older consoles, handhelds and even 8-bit/16-bit home computers are enjoying a resurgence in popularity. The GBA was a great little handheld and many people probably have many fond memories of it. Others may have wanted to own a GBA in the past but just didn't have the opportunity. Nowadays, it's just a cool thing to discover or even re-discover the past gaming scene and enjoy it for what it was.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back