Can Gamestop Avoid the Fate of Its Predecessors?

JoanMcWench

Playing
NES
I feel like Gamestop has become the Blockbuster of the gaming world. It has swallowed its competition almost entirely. However, there was a time Blockbuster did the same. So, what can Gamestop do to avoid becoming obsolete in a world turning to digital game ownership & console 'features' attempting to squash the ability to sell/play used games?

I believe that eventually Game Stop may go the way of Blockbuster in the aspect there are more and more digital games being put out there. They will have to come up with some crafty ways to keep the customers rolling in, like sales and such. Although right now, they are one of the only places around here to get game systems and accessories so I think they are pretty cemented here. We have two within a 15 minute drive. :p

They all will eventually die out. The economy, video games, and the constantly shifting market will see to this. It's been evident before as in your other thread (FuncoLand, HollyWood Videos) and will continue to do so as mediums change. It's up to the Humans to keep track of the console wars and constantly know what will sell or rent, as to keep their stores open.

GameStop has inevitably became like the others; but that's just due course of time. They also have to fight against online cheaper sites like GameFly and more, so their business world is quite a deal smaller from when we were kids as well. It will only get smaller as more people go back to playing online.

I hate to say it but I could REALLY care less for GameStop. As a kid, I thought it was a great place to go. But now, so long as I can continue with my game searches online and such, GameStop is just a place I avoid.

There is nothing like trading in brand new games that are less than 2 months old, purchased at GameStop, and not acquiring store credit that is equivalent to half of what you paid. Not to mention the faulty used systems I have purchased.

Exactly, I can't remember the last time I've been to a Gamestop because of two pretty important reasons:

1) I rarely buy something in a pre-release fashion or the day of release. I can wait a while to knock some cash off the initial price.
2) I shop online. Buying directly from someone else (eBay, Craigslist) can cut down the cost drastically. Why would I want to spend more money at a Gamestop? Because their 'associates' will brighten my day?

What you said in 2) is spot on. I like to shop online for various reasons, one of them being to knockoff prices. This doesn't mean I completely ignore pre-releases however; I still attend ones I've been following. Exactly; and half of their time they're curt to the point of professionalism or rude.

Yeah they are pretty rude. I hate to name call, because I could very well fit in this category-- but it seems as though a bunch of brats run the stores, who have never had to work a real job in their life. They are usually behind the counter talking to their coworker (unless an attractive chick without a mate walks in), tend to carry on their coworker conversation while checking you out, never make eye contact with you, and never even ask you about your purchase or offer some gaming advice. WHERE IS THE LOVE AND PASSION IN THEIR JOB?

(unless an attractive chick without a mate walks in), tend to carry on their coworker conversation while checking you out, never make eye contact with you, and never even ask you about your purchase or offer some gaming advice.
You must go to a terrible one, but one I go to when checking out them will ask me about preorders and if I ask them about a game they start talking about what they think. I had like a 5 minute conversation with one guy about how the LE Mejora's Mask sold out in like 10 minutes after annouced. Can they be rude, yes, everyone can be and if the guys turn their heads a bit to see a single girl that is natural lol.

But back to topic. Gamestop really won't go out from digital games. You still need a place that sells the system and accessories that you may want. Also some of the rewards you get with the hard copy of the game from Gamestop keeps people going to them. If anything (like a lot of stores) their downfall will be over-expansion. Otherwise they seem to be doing well enough and only if they somehow put the system into your brain do I see them faltering to the point of out of business.

They won't go out of business, but they will do considerably LESS and LESS business, though. When everything online is cheaper, the only business you'll do is people walking through malls. Nobody is going to seek your external buildings out to buy things when they can ready them at a click and have them shipped to their doorstep.

Over-Expansion is covered by what I said too, via External buildings. Too many causes a bad chain effect when some fail. And businesses have been known to fail...

You must go to a terrible one, but one I go to when checking out them will ask me about preorders and if I ask them about a game they start talking about what they think. I had like a 5 minute conversation with one guy about how the LE Mejora's Mask sold out in like 10 minutes after annouced. Can they be rude, yes, everyone can be and if the guys turn their heads a bit to see a single girl that is natural lol.

Honestly I have been to several like this. Not that I travel a whole lot now. But when my husband did work construction, we tended to settle somewhere new every few months for work. Especially in Alabama (north or south) and Georgia (mid and south)--My experience does not come from just one. I even get this same experience in my local mall. It does differ from person to person, but generally this is how it is. I find better help and genuine interest by going to locally owned gaming stores. Not to mention Game Stop is too well known for their employees to be so unprofessional in their line of work.

I am not saying I would like the same attention of these single ladies, but I most certainly would appreciate the gesture of help and advice (and not to have my help dropped like I am diseased) regardless of my marital status. I have had my share of good service there, but overall not so.

You still need a place that sells the system and accessories that you may want.

You're right you do need a place to buy systems & accessories but tell me why you wouldn't buy those online as well? And if you're not into online shopping I'm pretty sure Walmart prices are much lower than Gamestop prices.

Of course you can always buy stuff online and Gamestop does have an online service. Also typically when things first come out it won't matter where you look it will usually be the same price Walmart or Gamestop. Let alone if you are looking for a good deal online you are better off with a Amazon than a Walmart of Gamestop.

I'm going to confess I try not to shop at Walmart at all but I was under the impression it was in their wheelhouse to undercut games by five dollars or so when releasing them?

Our Gamestop here is actually quite awesome. Maybe it is because I spend a lot of money there or just that they notice me by my blue hair color, either way I cannot just buy a game there any thats it. They always ask me if I know of the new pre-releases out or new games. The people at my gamestop are amazing but I fear someday their jobs might become as obsolete as Hollywood Video. Which will be a shame because they know me by first name basis. :)

Personally, I'd not mind a bit if the whole chain went belly-up. Their business model and regular practices leave a very bad taste in my mouth. Gone are the amazing days of Funcoland, Electronics Boutique, and their ilk, kiddies. :(
GS deals in only newer/current stuff, and that alone is a major turn off to a huge portion of the gaming community. I say support chains like Disc Replay!

I have several younger friends that work for various GS locations, and you wouldn't believe the ugly horror stories I hear about that place...

Patronize local businesses, trade with friends, and hit the yard sales and flea markets. ;)

....And you said it spot-ON, Panda: "Brats running the stores"....you got it; snarky punks with zero life experience and a 'go F yourself' attitude to match. (for the most part)
I find that I can avoid any potential assault charges if I avoid those places.

Last edited:
Why would we go to yard sales and flea markets for new games?

What policies are not good? I mean only policy that they have people don't like is how fast a game will depreciate when you try to trade it in. A game that comes out 2 months ago might only be 5-10 dollars trade in value now. That sucks but you can easily hit places like ebay or craigslist and sell the game there. Outside of that what other policies are terrible?

Also what horror stories is there? They got a game and didn't like it?

I live in a big city and been to about 5-6 different Gamestops here and been to a few in other cites and never have I seen this "snarkly punks with zero life experience" running the store. Tends to be mid to late 20s people doing their job.

We all have our opinions and the world is certainly large enough for all, I merely shared mine. Regarding ugly stories and GS' reputation in general, a simple Google search will tell you all you'd ever need to know on the subject. I am far from being alone in my opinions of the place.

If you enjoy and support GS, more power to you; as a sentient being you are granted free will to enjoy and choose as you wish!

Okay you say you know people with Horror stories and hate their policies and yet didn't say either? It more sounds like you hate it only cause they are a big company. I don't care if people hate the store, but give some better examples to dislike it. Also it is a thread about if you think Gamestop will last or not, and not a "Oh I hate them cause I am cool."

....And I gave my opinion as to them sticking around - "I hope they go belly-up". I have my reasons based on years of reading bits on the subject, hearing things, and personal experience, and those reasons are mine.

Not sure what you mean exactly by "oh I hate them cause I am cool", but I will only engage in polite and intelligent debate. I won't take part in obviously misplaced, thinly-veiled barbs.

You say you hope they go belly up cause you read things? What things? What policies makes you think they will? What horror stories are there? But it is suppose to be a discussion about what reasons will they fail like their predecessors or will they continues to develop and bypass those failures.

You just say "I hope they go belly up" isn't really pushing the topic in the direction that was originally posted. What reasons do you think they will go belly up? Or do you just hope it happens but no idea why it would? You like intelligent debates, but at least understand what the topic is asking and answer it before you just say you hate them cause they are mean to you.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back