Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Shimus

Playing
Nintendo 64
Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg

This was among one of my favorites, ever. It lured me into it after some failed platforming concepts of their prior compatriots, and hooked me. To this day, I don't think I've ever played a platform game with as much content to do (grind items, explore every hidden chamber, so many extra items you'd miss normally) and also to mention the inverted castle was primarily one of the coolest concepts when I was a kid. Plus, it had one of the most awesome soundtracks ever conceived.. and this guy who plays them named Nightshader1 on youtube is a boss:

(marble gallery for those who can't view it)

And

(wood carving partita for those who can't view it)

And finally

(Dance of the Pales for those who can't view it)​

In my opinion one of the best and probably will be one of the best Castlevania's, ever. What are your thoughts? So much to do, double castle space, a hidden set of bosses with their own catchy storyline.

So nobody else has played this fantastic game? Come on now, I'm sure there has to be someone else out there who enjoyed this as thoroughly as I did.

Hey now, I love Castlevania: Symphony of the Night! It edges out the more standard Super Castlevania IV as my favourite entry in the franchise, and is moreover my favourite PS1 game! In fact, at times I even go as far as to declare it my favourite game period! (My absolute, subjective favourite game, movie, etc changes constantly.)

Symphony of the Night was one instance in which drastic departures from a franchise's (arguably tired) formula truly paid off! Playing as Alacard, complete with special moves and vampiric powers, rather than as yet another Belmont descendant armed with a whip! Non-linear game-play in a massive over-world stuffed with hidden treasures, in a manner reminiscent of Metroid and Blaster-Master, rather than a series of linear stages! Moreover discovering that there's an entire hidden second half to this game, in a more difficult mirror-image of the castle! Add to all of that the bosses with true gravitas, the music, the graphics, and even the laughably over/under-acting voice-overs: and you have a true classic gem of a game!

Although I do enjoy the more traditional Castlevania games (putting aside my above comments about refreshing changes to a somewhat tired formula), especially the aforementioned Super Castlevania IV: I would love additional games in the vein (pun absolutely intended) of Symphony of the Night as a side franchise! (There's no reason why both types of games can't continue onward together, just as there's hypothetically no reason as to why Square couldn't release new entities in the traditional and the Tactics versions of their Final Fantasy franchise!)

"But, enough talk... have at you!" ;)

Last edited:
WHAT IS A MAN?! A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF SECRETS.

I loved this game, and as you said the departure from the normal Castlevanias were well welcomed. It just seemed so mysterious - AND SO HUGE. Exploring both castles easily took up awhile. When I was a kid, I thought I had beaten the game after I WHUPPED "The Dark Priest Shaft"'s ass, just to find out I didn't even explore half of the game? WICKED SICK.

I bought Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on day one! :)

It's definitely one of the best PS1 games ever made. The music and graphics are absolutely phenomenal and Alucard is one of the most interesting and enigmatic game characters ever conceived. As much as I love this game, it's not my favorite Castlevania though. I actually do prefer Dawn of Sorrow on the DS a bit more, and even that's not my fave Castlevania either. My fave is definitely Dracula X: Rondo of Blood on the PC-Engine - that game is just perfect and has an equally good soundtrack.

Just replayed this all night long on my Xbox because I was missing two achievements on that version. Love this game, no matter what console/platform it's on.

Though, for the GBA I did love Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance a bunch.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back