Castlevania!

Thomas Ennis

From
Albuquerque
Playing
Super NES
When I was growing up, these were among my favorite games. The first Castlevania was extremely hard, but we played non-stop. I remember the tension in the air when I approached a boss, and the bitter anger when the boss killed me. My only problem with the game was when you got hit, you went flying backwards, often to your death in a pit.
Simon's Quest was the game that sold me on RPGs. Adventuring through the forest, collecting hearts, gaining experience, and searching for new items made this game for me. It was so cool traveling from town to town. The switching from night to day sometimes got annoying, but I rank Simon's Quest as one of the best Nintendo games of all time.
Castlevania 3 took difficulty to a new level. I only beat the game once, and it was by the skin of my teeth. Before I played this one, I thought the first one was hard, but boy was I wrong. Changing characters was a nice new touch and being able to select your own path made it unique among it's kind.
How many people here played these games? What did you think of them?

I loved these games, I actually recently played the first one! They were extremely difficult but I was always back for more. I'm not a fan of the 3D entries, they just didn't make the transition well :p I think I may play the 4th one pretty soon, cause I just got my SNES back up and running!

The fourth Castlevania is very good as well. Controlling your character became a lot easier, and you can whip in multiple directions. It's not nearly as hard as the NES games, but it is still challenging. I also played Symphony of the Night on the PS1. That is one GREAT game, but it suffers from a lack of difficulty in many parts. The originals are still the games to beat (except 2 which is easy).

My all-time favourite video game is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night! It just edges out the more traditional Super Castlevania as my favourite game in the series, and I moreover thought that it was a truly refreshing take on the franchise and vastly superior to previous attempts to mix things up with Castlevania II and Castlevania 64. I prefer Alacard as a refreshing change-of-pace from the usual have-whip-will-travel Belmont descendant, and Symphony of the Night did a fantastic job of incorporating gaining experience points, implementing special moves and vampiric powers, and finding hidden special items into the gameplay! Even more impressively, the shift from individual stages to a giant single over-world that you can backtrack and explore at leisure, in a fashion similar to Metroid and Master-Blaster, was truly fantastic! Especially when you consider that half of this overworld was an upside mirror image of the castle from the first half of the game! Many players often thought the completed the game, only discover that there was a way to re-play it that opens up a second castle of equal size and more difficult enemies!

Great games. I have NES original, 3, SNES IV, Gameboy double-pack + the circle of the moon + nes classic, then just got the new 3DS version. The 3d in the 3ds version is amazing, but not much time to get very far yet. I need to go pick up a couple of the DS games soon. Also have the spinoff Kid Dracula.

when i got my wii, my test run for ordering games on the VC was Simon's Quest. one of my favorite games ever

SOTN is a classic! I played that game for hours-taking turns with my bro. I have to say, it is a tad on the easy side. I agree with the Alucard part; it was nice to see a new character take center stage. Super Castlevania is a classic as well. Simons Quest is among my favorites of the series, but it is way too easy.

Hmm... so you like it because of the gameplay? Because I just... I just don't really like these games much. I think it's the idiotic story. It's the same reason why I'm not much of one for RE - although RE4 is a wonderful thing real talk.... and with a friend RE5 is a blast. But yeah I need a better story then Castlevania generally gives me.

SOTN is by far my favorite. Good music, two castles. Inverted. Could play as Richter Belmont of Alucard, (Dracula, backwards) son of Dracula. Either way it was fun, and Richter had his own set of moves and the iconic whip that upgraded so it felt every bit like an older version but with a cooler, more hip protagonist. He is what vampires should be.

I've played all 3 Castlevanias for the NES, Super Castlevania and SOTN. While I love them all, Castlevania 3, Dracula's Curse is my favorite. I remember spending hours on end exploring the different routes, and honing my strategies for getting through the game with each companion so I could enjoy all 4 endings. (Beating the game with Trevor alone was tricky, especially the fight with the doppleganger, but it could be done.) My favorite companion by far was Syfa. Especially when I could manage to equip her with the lightning spell book AND beat the final battle with it. :D

I've played Castlevania and Simon's Quest on the NES and they are both excellent games. Definitely challenging and worth any gamer's time. But for me, Castlevania came to it's own with Akumajou Dracula on the Sharp X68000 - an awesome 16-bit computer that was only available in Japan. This game was later released on the PS1 as Castlevania Chronicles. However, my favorite Castlevania is Rondo of Blood on the PC-Engine and nothing has ever been able to top it since. Not even the might Symphony of the Night on the PS1.

My all-time favourite video game is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night! It just edges out the more traditional Super Castlevania as my favourite game in the series, and I moreover thought that it was a truly refreshing take on the franchise and vastly superior to previous attempts to mix things up with Castlevania II and Castlevania 64. I prefer Alacard as a refreshing change-of-pace from the usual have-whip-will-travel Belmont descendant, and Symphony of the Night did a fantastic job of incorporating gaining experience points, implementing special moves and vampiric powers, and finding hidden special items into the gameplay! Even more impressively, the shift from individual stages to a giant single over-world that you can backtrack and explore at leisure, in a fashion similar to Metroid and Master-Blaster, was truly fantastic! Especially when you consider that half of this overworld was an upside mirror image of the castle from the first half of the game! Many players often thought the completed the game, only discover that there was a way to re-play it that opens up a second castle of equal size and more difficult enemies!

You put it as simply as I could. I didn't mind the others; in fact I loved them all. But Symphony shined bright.

Latest threads

Back