Childhood Video Game Nightmares

Hyrule Chicken

From
Canada
Playing
Super NES
Gaming used to be so hard and so, so unforgiving. No save points, no continues, no restart level. Once you lost your 3 lives, you were out. Back to square one.

So, let's play a little game. Describe (or better yet, post a screenshot) the part of a NES game that you remember as a kid was so hard for you to beat, you had nightmares about it!

I'll get it started with the Water Dam level in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I paid $80 for this game. To this day, I've never seen what is beyond this stage.

tmnt-nes-water_zpss27koidd.jpg

I have to agree. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was one of the first games I picked up on the NES and it was rock hard. I also picked up the game for the PC, which was very similar to the NES version. I struggled with both versions and never completed them. I think it was mainly due to bad design as that it was just a poorly made game. Most of us bought it because of the license, but looking back I realize I could've bought both Rick Dangerous games with the money I spent on both TMNT for NES & PC.

Yeah I don't know who had the bright idea to make the TMNT so difficult for the NES. Thankfully the sequels eased up on the difficulties quite a bit, but to this day this is one of the games that has frustrated me the most, lol.

Mega Man X. The number of times me and my brother got Sigma down to a bar or three of health...
It was only two years ago on my iPhone with the Easy mode that I finally got to see the end scene I'd always been a fraction of a well-timed second from!

But there were so many games, really. I remember it was pretty rare and quite an achievement to have really beaten a game. That's just my first example because it was the one that hit me the most!

Yes, TMNT was HARD. My brother was good at it, but I would get so frustrated that I would give up and play a different game. That and the Goonies II, but you had codes to get some of those things back. I loved The Goonies, though.

Berzerk for the Atari 2600. I had nightmares about that evil smiley face.

Latest threads

Back