China to Allow Sales of Videogame Consoles

Lawnachaun

From
California
Playing
Wii U
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304795804579100601154426712.html

China to Allow Sales of Videogame Consoles

China said it would end a more than decadelong ban on the sale of videogame consoles as part of a new set of rules issued Friday for a new free-trade zone in Shanghai.

According to a statement from the State Council, China's highest decision-making body, foreign companies that operate sales and production within the new trade zone will be able to sell the products across China pending approval of each device by the Ministry of Culture.

Game consoles are officially banned in China, but have long been available on the market through unofficial channels, such as private retail outlets in China's ubiquitous computer malls. Despite the availability, consoles remain unpopular in China, in part due to a preference among consumers for playing games on personal computers and smartphones.

Earlier this week Microsoft announced its plans to invest $237 million into a joint venture with Chinese Internet TV company BesTV New Media in the Shanghai free-trade zone to develop "family games and related services."

Though consoles haven't caught on in China, recent efforts by companies like Microsoft to make consoles that provide Internet access and television along with high-end games could attract more Chinese consumers. A number of companies in China, including mobile-phone startup Xiaomi Inc., have recently released set-top boxes to cater to anticipated demand.

Seven government ministries originally agreed to ban consoles in 2000 out of concern for the impact the games have on young people, though the block instead helped popularize gaming on computers in Internet cafes across the country.

The government will implement the new rules and regulations for the Shanghai trade zone over the next three years. No timeline was given for when sales of videogame consoles would be allowed.
There is no exact date on when this will finally happen, however, it will become official soon enough. Which is a step in the right direction, I think. Of course, the article states that computer and smartphone games are the preferred choices there, however, I'm sure console games will find a place there. Even if it's a small one, that's a start. I think that, overall, China finally lifting their ban on gaming consoles is a good thing for the industry as a whole. How much of an impact will this have on the market is yet to be scene. The article seems to be more skeptical about how it will do. But I think it should turn out well. I can't say, for sure, if all of the game makers will immediately join the market or not, but it looks like Microsoft is already starting to show their commitment to the region. I'm sure Sony and Nintendo will soon follow. It'll be interesting to see which console China favors. Especially since this will be their first official "console war" since the ban was implemented.

What are your thoughts on China finally lifting their ban on console gaming. Do you think it's a good thing, or a bad thing? What do you hope to see happens, once the market finally start to flood itself into the region. Do you think it'll have a big impact, or a small/moderate one. What are your thougts on this new development, that has been in the works for several months now.

Finally, they have come to their senses and uplift the console ban after almost a decade. I wonder what prompted them to ban the consoles in the forst place. It shouldn't have happened.

Actually, it's been over a decade. 13 years, to be exact. They started the ban in 2000. Also, the ban was because they were afraid that violent video games would have a bad effect on the children. Seriously. The launch of the PS2 scared them, apparently. The last console to release in China was the Sega Dreamcast. I'm not sure if the PS2 launched there or not. But the ban started the same year as the PS2. So, either the PS2 launched there, and then they banned it. Or, it launched in other regions, and then, before it could launch in China, they banned it. I'm not sure exactly how that went down. I'll have to look into it. But yeah, the ban itself was silly to begin with. No doubt about that. Of course, if some US Congress members have their way, they'd ban video games here in America too. Which is just stupid. If you ban video games, you might as well ban tv, movies, music, and books, as well. Oh look, Mouse Trap might be dangerous, better ban board games too. The whole idea of banning any of that is just stupid. Luckily, China is coming to their senses, and lifting the ban. America, so far, has been smart enough not to ban it. But, certain Congress members still want to see it happen. I don't think it'll happen here, but one day, if Congress pushes hard enough, it could. It'd be stupid, but they could.

NintendoCosmos said:
The Vii U. lol. Remember the Vii knockoff?
I do remember the Vii. Wasn't it the "Chintendo Vii". Seriously. I'm pretty sure it was the "Chintendo Vii". Also, it even had a 'sequel'. The Vii 2. Yep, even the knockoff got an upgraded version.

But there were more. Like, the Zone, which I actually saw in the stores here. I have a picture of it on my old phone, from years ago. I'm not sure if it's still on the phone, or if I transferred it onto my PC already. I'll have to look. But yeah, I saw that on the shelves here. If I can find my picture, I'll post it. But I"m not sure where it's at, exactly. It's been years since then.

Another knock off was the MiWi, as well as the WiWi. Yep, the WiWi was a real knock off too. However, unlike the WiWi, the MiWi got a 'sequel' console, like the Vii. Called the "MiWi Extra".

Then there was the WLL

So, that's 7 Wii Knock-offs right there..

Chintendo Vii
Vii 2
The Zone
MiWi
MiWi Extra
WiWi
WLL

I'm sure that there are more out there as well. And yes, these listed are all real knock offs. You can go and look them up, if you wish. The Wii, as well as most other gaming consoles, have had a ton and ton of knock offs over the years.

Also, the Wii U has gotten some knock offs already too. Tho, those are more Android tablet rip-offs with a Wii U Gamepad look/feel to them. So they are less Wii U knock offs, and more Android knock offs, with a Wii U flare to them.

Latest threads

Back