Did you like the smaller size of the GameCube optical discs?

Damien Lee

Playing
Super Famicom
When the GameCube was first revealed, I was intrigued by the physical appearance of the console. It was very different from it's rivals and far smaller. I really liked the fact that it had a smaller footprint but was also surprised by the smaller optical discs games would come on. There was some reservation among gamers and game journalists alike about the storage capacity of these discs. Many seemed to think that Nintendo didn't learn about the storage issues they suffered with cartridges on the N64.

Fortunately, that didn't turn out to be a big problem. Some larger games such as Killer 7 and Resident Evil 4 came on two discs. But most games would fit on a single disc without any issues.

Did you like these smaller optical discs?

Uh, no, because I can't fit them in my disc case with all of my other games. I have to use the actual case that came with the game, therefore taking up more space.

I thought they were nifty and unique, even if they had less space on them.

Wasn't that an attempt to stop the copying of games. I know the Dreamcast tried doing the same with CDG disc, but the minute someone figured out hoe to rip them successfully, it brought the end to the system. Nintendo tried to do the same. I applaud them for their efforts but I don't think 3rd party support liked the idea and hence the system suffered.

Again Nintendo went against the grain and payed for it again. It is a hit or miss with them when it comes to consoles. I think it's great that they do that, but they need to have the third party support like the other two silver back gorillas in the room.

I didn't mind the smaller discs at all, I always thought they were really cute!
It definitely set them apart from the other consoles.
This is probably my own thinking, but Nintendo resisted discs for a long time, and I kind of felt that the small disc was the equivalent of them 'sticking their toe' into the optical disc 'pool'.

Wasn't that an attempt to stop the copying of games. I know the Dreamcast tried doing the same with CDG disc, but the minute someone figured out hoe to rip them successfully, it brought the end to the system. Nintendo tried to do the same. I applaud them for their efforts but I don't think 3rd party support liked the idea and hence the system suffered.

Again Nintendo went against the grain and payed for it again. It is a hit or miss with them when it comes to consoles. I think it's great that they do that, but they need to have the third party support like the other two silver back gorillas in the room.
Yes, I believe that was the reason for the smaller discs. Nintendo has always taken software piracy seriously and taken steps to prevent this from happening to their games. Capcom supported the GC extensively, it was also a time when Capcom was at the top of their game and one of the most revered developers/publishers in the industry. I think Nintendo started losing 3rd party support with the N64. Even the highly successful Wii didn't help bring enough 3rd party support back to them.

I've recently dug up my Wii and found a bunch of GameCube games (including Wind Waker! :D) and I'd forgotten how funny the little discs kind of look. It's also weird trying to slide them into the regular slot size of the Wii. It didn't bother me too much, but it is kind of odd that Nintendo didn't just go with regular sized discs; it's not like they weren't invented at the time.

They were more of a gimmick than anything else. I actually lost a disk before in my room, and didn't find it until weeks later. I guess it was sort of interesting, and new for a new design. The traditional CD size those is still my preference.

I liked it because I saw it as an identifying, unique feature of the Gamecube. But at the same time, there were a lot of drawbacks with them. Like others have mentioned, it was not conventional for storage in the standard cases, nor did they have the same capacity for storage. Along with that, when I was young and irresponsible, the smaller discs were easier to lose than ordinary dics. Overall, I think the cons outweigh the pros in this case, but it was still a cool feature.

I actually liked them, they really suited the GameCube. I have seen some GameCubes with full sized DVDs but I don't know if they are real or not.

I have a pretty natrual feeling about them. Only a bit weird to put them in my wii sometimes because it will not always go on plan when it comes to putting the disc inside haha. When it comes to the gamecube I dont have any problems. Also really easy to clean and keep clean because I dont touch the inside part because I can easily hold them by the edges. little note on why I sometimes hold them like that is because the box can sometimes give me a hard time removing the disc so therefore I only push and keep them up, I will not stick my finger in the hole if it will make them scratch over the plastic of the box haha. Im too scared to do that.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back