Digital Purchases?

MilkBone

Playing
Switch
So according to Nintendo, if I delete a digital game, I can still download it on the same machine that I purchased it from. This was from nintendo.com...

If I delete a game on my Wii U, will I be able to download it again?
Yes. On the system where you made the initial purchase, you can re-download a deleted game (as long as it's still available in the eShop) by going to your profile in the Nintendo eShop Menu and selecting My Downloads.

So my question is, if my Wii U takes a complete dump and I purchase another Wii U, does the above comment mean that I won't be able to download my previous purchases because it's a different Wii U?

The answer to this will determine if I buy all my games digitally or physically. If you haven't noticed, I just bought a Wii U finally...after they stopped making them lol.

this is not an issue I've ever dealt with, but honestly I'm too paranoid. 65$ a game is pretty steep to worry about losing. Plus i like having hard copies, like for a collection. The only digital purchases i make are usually for the VC. I did buy Ducktales and Luigi U digitally though. I back up to a Seagate 3 TB drive and have had no problems yet. I have heard a few horror stories though.

@dustinb12 I think that's the way I'm gonna go too. So far I love the Wii U, but I think this is its biggest flaw. On PS4 I purchase everything digitally. But there's no hassle there if my PS4 takes a dive. Just buy a new one a redownload. I do have a 160GB HDD that I'm using to back up my saves like you though.

I trust Nintendo hardware enough, and I don't buy and sell so it's not a concern. When my launchday Wii's disk drive started to act up, the Wii u was already out and readily available and a system transfer was a cinch.

That being said, if your Wii U does for some reason fail, then you can still transfer your games. If it's functional enough you can do a Wii U to Wii u system transfer, otherwise you have to call Nintendo and redownload all your games (and lose your saves.) But as long as you're not using it as a frisbee the failure rate is pretty low on the Wii U.

thats all good to know. I'm paranoid with that kinda stuff.

I trust Nintendo hardware enough, and I don't buy and sell so it's not a concern. When my launchday Wii's disk drive started to act up, the Wii u was already out and readily available and a system transfer was a cinch.

That being said, if your Wii U does for some reason fail, then you can still transfer your games. If it's functional enough you can do a Wii U to Wii u system transfer, otherwise you have to call Nintendo and redownload all your games (and lose your saves.) But as long as you're not using it as a frisbee the failure rate is pretty low on the Wii U.

Use as a frisbee lol. Well I don't have to worry about that. Thanks for the info! I hope going forward they have a system like XBOX Live or PS Store where all your purchases are on your account. I guess we'll learn about it soon enough.

Latest threads

Back