Earthbound SNES Repo Naked and Exposed

From
Kentucky
Website
3laughingmonkeys.wordpress.com
Playing
3DS XL
Recently I started looking into purchasing reproduction carts of games that I just could not afford due to the high price caused by collectors. You can, a lot of times, purchase the Japanese copy rather cheap, but I do not know Japanese, even though I do work for a Japanese company.
I broke open my reproduction "Earthbound" SNES cart. And I was impressed that it was not a glop.
HNI_0093.JPG

HNI_0094.JPG

I was surprised to find a PC board with chips.
HNI_0097.JPG

HNI_0098.JPG

This is what the real Nintendo Board looks like.
HNI_0100.JPG

HNI_0001.JPG

HNI_0002.JPG

Quite a big difference, but both do play identical. Interchanging the PC boards to the different shells, I found that the fake board was very tight. It did fit but there was a small cylinder of plastic that supported the original board which hindered a perfect fit. The Chips on the fake board arrangement prevented the fit. One can simply trim the plastic and the board would fit enabling me to have an English version on my Super Famicom in the original shell.

HNI_0003.JPG

I apologize if this offends anyone.

Thats pretty cool. I had heard about reproduction carts before, but figured they were probably just flash cartridges with the game written on them! The more you know xD

Lucky find. And it does look legit.

My biggest problem with reproduction carts is that they are getting very close to looking like the real thing. And more are being offered on ebay without any acknowledgement that they are not authentic. I don't mind purchasing one, if they are cheap, of games that I cannot afford due to their high collectible price. But the waters are starting to get muddled. I have seen some asking big money and that is not acceptable. I am basically a gamer and not a collector, but I am starting to question in my own mind how this is going to effect the retro scene.

It has a Japanese PCB, that's something.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back