Favorite boss in the series?

ShinyTentacruel

From
North Carolina
Playing
Super NES
There's no doubt that the Metroid series had a lot of awesome, pulse gripping boss battles, but what encounters stand out as your favorite? Like many, my first exposure to the series was the snes entry and honestly it did scare me quite a bit. Compared to other games I had played on the snes, like Super Mario and Zelda, the game had a very dark, Aliens atmosphere and I really felt a strong sense of isolation and loneliness in the game. I loved it!

I enjoyed all the bosses really, but Crocomire affected me a lot as a kid. Namely the part where you kill him and he falls into the lava/acid, making pained dinosaur sounds as his skin melts away. I actually felt very bad for him, I was extremely sensitive and I had to stop playing for a while because I was so upset over the poor dinosaur thing, even though it had been trying to kill me. Now when I play I think its the most metal thing ever and laugh with glee when he falls into the acid because I'm evil.

I haven't played much Metroid, but I think Ridley is pretty badass, especially Metal Ridley. I know this isn't the same, but in Super Smash Bros. Brawl the Ridley bosses are pretty fun there.

My favourite bosses from the Metroid series are naturally those from my favourite Metroid game: the SNES' Super Metroid!

Super Metroid was the first Metroid game in which the bosses had the gargantuan gravitas of a true boss and didn't merely feel like just another enemy.

And, to that end, I must single out Super Metroid's Kraid as the earliest (aside from the brief encounter with Ridley in the Space Lab) example of this: Samus first encounters and defeats a decoy Kraid Spawn who is essentially the original NES' Metroid's Kraid (albeit an even weaker version), proceeds forward through another couple of rooms... and then encounters the real, massive Kraid who erupts from the floor with a mighty roar and fills several screens!

For me, that was the moment that it became abundantly clear that Super Metroid wasn't merely a 16-bit upgrade of the previous two Metroid games, and was taking the franchise to ambitiously bold new places!

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back