Favorite place to buy games

danielle davidson

Playing
Wii Mini
I usually don't like to pay full price for the games that I like to play. If there is a good game that I have really been looking forward to, then I will but that's it. I usually try to find them cheap, because I don't want to spend $35 or more dollars on a game. I just don't play them enough to spend that kind of money. So, where you do you like to get your games?

Back when Blockbuster was still a thing, I used to love to scavenge their Nintendo 64 and GameCube sections. Got lots of quality games for $10 from them.

Nowadays? STEAM online, I buy games for my Lappy/Desktop.

Online for Consoles? Marketplaces on said consoles.

I used to buy Hard Copies from stores like Electronics Boutique or GameStop, but there's really no reason when everything can be digitally transferred these days. Why waste gas and wear and tear on your car to get something that costs the same (if not cheaper) online and just set it to download? Watch some movies or pre-taped (or torrented) shows and just wait for it to finish. Easy peasy.

I use to go into shops like Software ETC and look into the used games section. I would find cheap games in there. I also take a look on ebay. There you can find huge lots of 20 plus games for really cheap. That's where I usually go to get cheap games that were last years hits.

Never even thought to check EBAY these days, nice one. I guess "Lots" of games would be far cheaper, indeed. Good thinkin!

For rarities, retro games and Japanese imports I will either choose Videogameimports.com, Genki Video Games or Play-Asia. However, they focus predominantly on console and handheld gaming, Play-Asia stocks some PC stuff but still a very limited variety. Prices also vary wildly but good deals are to be found at all three online vendors. If it's a downloadable game on PC, I'll either get it from Steam or Indie Game Stand.

Never even thought to check EBAY these days, nice one. I guess "Lots" of games would be far cheaper, indeed. Good thinkin!

That is a good place to look. My Black Ops 2 stopped working, don't know why it just wouldn't read the disk. And then I had to go out and buy a new one. I thought that Amazon would be the cheapest. I'm sure that eBay would have been the best bet thinking about it now. I'm sure that I would have been able to save more money.

It's where I got my laptop dirt cheap, but I never think of "LOTS" of something when I'm buying, I generally just think "where's the cheapest I can find it, itself" not "It, and other games".

Yay for broadening ones' horizons.

It's where I got my laptop dirt cheap, but I never think of "LOTS" of something when I'm buying, I generally just think "where's the cheapest I can find it, itself" not "It, and other games".

Yay for broadening ones' horizons.

I want to get a Mac from there because you can get them so much cheaper, but I'm too afraid. I mean it could break and then you would be out of luck. I think that it would be a good place to buy some games though. I'm going to have to look into that because there are some games that I would love to get, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on them.

Gamestop. Not my favorite AT ALL, but it was in a convenient spot near my house until it suddenly closed down. Now whenever I want a game, I have to buy one on my way home from school. Been buying a couple things off of Amazon recently though.

How is Amazon? Always was curious. I heard they're legit, and their delivery time is like Fed-EX or UPS - pretty standard yet fast. Never tried them though.

I always buy my games at Gamestop. Whenever I have a plethora of beaten and unused games, I usually trade in my old games at Gamestop for new games. Not only that, but there is a Gamestop that is really close to me, so convenience plays a huge factor here. I go to Gamestop so much that the people working there know me and usually give me discounts! At Gamestop, I usually buy new Wii U releases. Recently, I bought Bayonetta and I am loving the game!

At the local marketplace (bazaar) there are always good deals to be made. When I am tired of a game I exchange it against another one with a similar value. The trick is to find the merchants selling multiple articles. I would suggest staying away from the ones who only sell video games as they tend to know how much games are worth and how popular they are.

Most of the time I can get away with paying somewhere around 40.00$ for a very good Wii game. For example I paid 20.00 for Mario Kart Wii when I bought it, convincing the seller that there were many Mario Kart's available... Clearly he was in for a quick sale, which made me happy.

If I have to buy them online, cheaper would be KIJIJI if not then definitely on eBay.
-LoyalServant

I usually buy my games from Amazon.

I find that it's not so much where, but when. There are some amazing deals for games, if you're willing to wait and not buy the game at release. I keep an eye out on Amazon also, as mentioned by @Y0shiM0n , but I also keep an eye on deals from EB Games (Canadian version of Gamestop), Walmart, Best Buy, etc. I just subscribe to all of their newsletters.

But the real deals for me have been around the holidays. I have gotten some amazing games for $20-$40 by buying them on Boxing Day or around there. It's crazy how games can get discounted when you're patient.

GameStop, Amazon, and Target.

I find that it's not so much where, but when. There are some amazing deals for games, if you're willing to wait and not buy the game at release. I keep an eye out on Amazon also, as mentioned by @Y0shiM0n , but I also keep an eye on deals from EB Games (Canadian version of Gamestop), Walmart, Best Buy, etc. I just subscribe to all of their newsletters.

But the real deals for me have been around the holidays. I have gotten some amazing games for $20-$40 by buying them on Boxing Day or around there. It's crazy how games can get discounted when you're patient.

EB Games exists here in the United States as well, or it did once upon a time if it doesn't anymore.

Don't you find that EB games overprices their products. I remember finding the same exact game in the same conditions for 10.00$ less at Wal-Mart or Zellers. I never understood people who shop there, perhaps I am missing all the deals?!? Are their discounts of regular shoppers, or is there a way to negotiate your price?

I once thought that selling them games was a good idea until I realized how much money I was losing. You buy a new game for 50.00$ and want to sell it back they will give you something like 16.00$ - INSANE! :p

@LoyalServant I think that this was their reputation a few years back (and judging by your Zellers reference, I'm guessing you've been buying games for a while ;)) but since then they're become competitive, and even better when you wait for deals. I sign up to the weekly newsletter but the real deals are around Christmas. Always check out their flyers during Boxing Day and around Christmas, they have amazing deals and you can usually find an EB Games nearby that won't be crazy busy (avoid the ones in malls at all costs on Boxing Day!).

I pretty much always wait for the holidays now before buying any games.

As for selling your games... A video game is like a car, it loses 95% of its value as soon as you leave the parking lot with it. The way I see it though, it's really an excuse to go in there and get a new game by using that little bit of cash as incentive.

Game Stop, Amazon and EBay are all places that I like to purchase games from. They seem to be more cheap in price wise,not quality and for me that is a plus for purchasing them. There really isn't any other place that I prefer to purchase games, and it is very rarely that I do purchase them because I believe in saving money for other things.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back